1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Video: Video: Cliff Harris next Cowboy in the Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Gryphon, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Merge Ahead

3,389 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  2. Hostile

Hostile Persona Non Grata Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    Should be either him or Chuck Howley.
  3. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How many years before Larry Allen is eligible?

He is a slam dunk lock. First ballot seems likely.
  4. BoysFanInAustin

BoysFanInAustin Active Member

334 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    What about Charles Haley?
  5. Gryphon

Gryphon Merge Ahead

3,389 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He has my vote.
  6. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Allen is the most likely to be the next to get in. It's possible a guy from the past - distant past - could sneak in ahead of Allen, but the thing we know is that Allen is a sure thing to get in and the others may never get in.
  7. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    I'm surprised Cliff isn't already in, he could really lay the wood when he played and I thought he retired a few years before he should have, he and Charlie made quite a tandem together.

You mentioned Chuck, before moving out to Vegas we lived in Canton and Chuck was a neighbor of mine, he has a pretty nice ranch there.
  8. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

6,114 Messages
    698 Likes Received
    Allen will have a tough time getting in on the first Ballot. I believe he retired the same year as

-Brett Favre (he came back though)
    -Michael Straham
    -Warren Sapp
    -Jonathan Ogden

Straham and Sapp will likely be first ballot guys. Ogden because he played LT his whole career may get the notch over Larry Allen, even though he shouldn't. Add in one senior candidate and that's 4 spots there. Depends on whos still waiting
  9. Hostile

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    LA is available in 2013. Not this class but the next one.
  10. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

6,114 Messages
    698 Likes Received
    he's been eligable for a while now. Likely needed Richard Dent to get in before him. Next year's class is relatively weak on first ballot candidates, so we'll likely see a smaller group and a few guys that have been passed over for a while.
  11. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This is probably the biggest thing keeping him from the HOF - a somewhat short career. He retired at 31 years old. Had he played another 3-4 years he may have been a shoo in. The problem with the kind of safety he was is that there aren't the attentiion getting stats - he didn't have a ton of INT's - he was more an all-around, play the run and the pass and knock your head off kind of safety. People who watched him play a lot know his value and know that despite not having a boatload of INT's he broke up a hell of a lot of passes and made receivers scared to go over the middle.
  12. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks.

Seems like Allen would be a first ballot choice. If not, he shouldn't have to wait much longer than that.

It wouldn't surprise me if a couple of Cowboys were the next to get in. (Allen and either Pearson or Harris being part of the same HoF class).
  13. Hostile

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    He's a 1st ballot HOFer in my book, but he's a Dallas Cowboy so he probably won't be.
  14. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,639 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    Warren Sapp does not even merit the hall of fame and Larry Allen was a far better player than Jonathan Ogden.
    Strahan played in New York so he got lots of press, but he is clearly deserving of the hall of fame. And, Brett Favre obviously will be a first ballot guy, but if Larry Allen is not a first ballot hall of famer, the rumored anti-cowboy bias will be proven to be a fact not just a rumor.
  15. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,461 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    Larry Allen is a slam dunk first ballot HOFer, it don't matter who else is on the ballot.
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,165 Messages
    2,182 Likes Received
    This. Are there limitations on how many guys can go in at once?
  17. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

7,050 Messages
    1,181 Likes Received
    Do you guys actually think that Harris was a better safety than Waters? I'm not sure I do. In addition, I would put Darren Woodson up there with either of those guys.
  18. jason54858

jason54858 Gloomy Sunday

2,293 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    I don't know about that statement. I mean, if John Randle is deserving of the Hall of Fame you would think Warren Sapp is a lock to get in someday. Just not on the first ballot.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,165 Messages
    2,182 Likes Received
    Definitely agree with Woodson. He should have been to a bunch more Pro Bowls and the like but the fact that he was on such crappy teams after the Super Bowl years really hurts him. I know he won't be, but he should be HOF.
  20. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The clock starts from the permanent retirement, not when Favre said he was retiring but really didn't.

As for the others, Allen belongs at the top of the heap, although Ogden isn't far behind. Strahan is probably the weakest candidate of the 3, but he played a more high profile position, which unfortunately catches the voters eyes more.