1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

VIDEO COMPARISON: The Phillips 3-4 vs The Parcells 3-4

Discussion in 'Artwork Zone' started by TEK2000, May 17, 2007.

1. TEK2000

TEK2000 New Member

2,152 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I see it a little differently BouncingCheese.

Miller is only open AFTER the ball is in the air.

He's actually double covered by the Safety and Corner until Big Ben launches the duck up into the air.

Nonetheless, when you blitz, you put more pressure on your secondary to cover in man to man. Its definitely a risk/reward situation. If you're going to blitz and get tricky with the DLine, there are going to be certain times when the blitz fails and you give up a play.
  2. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    True enough. Hooray Spears and Canty!
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,707 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Kinda hard to take a post seriously after reading this. :D

Hooray pants!
  4. TEK2000

TEK2000 New Member

2,152 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My point of showing that play was for representation of what the 2006 Cowboys NORMALLY did when trying to attack the QB.
    Send 4 rushers... the 3 down linemen and Ware (or Ellis).

My comparison between the 2 was merely to look at the SCHEME, not to judge the players.

(just wanted to make that clear)
  5. theogt

43,707 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Oh, I completely understand and agree that for the most part what you saw on those plays is what you saw on every other play.
  6. BouncingCheese

BouncingCheese Stay out of my Bidness

1,703 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is my point; Miller is VERY slow; Imagine Santana Moss in his Millers' spot; he would have gotten open there in a jiffy... and the secondary was focused on covering the other wideout in the flat, which would be a problem considering that Phillips (or other defensive player, because Phillips is too slow to cover moss) was stunting and not in his conventional spot where he was supposed to cover. Moss or another fast reciever could gash the defense for yards or worse if a tackle is missed.

Purely conjecture, I know.

By the way great vids tek.
  7. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,409 Messages
    3,660 Likes Received
    I don't see how you cannot judge the players.

The problem was simple and Coach Parcells told the truth, the problem was the transition from run to pass mode. We just didn't have anyone who did it exceptionally well.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Given how the Chargers allowed a very mediocre 4.2 ypc while the Cowboys were among the league leaders only allowing 3.9, I hope we keep the old run defense.
  9. theogt

43,707 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Does a person exist that can make the transition that well? And don't point out any player that has played under Bellicheck because he uses a mixture of 1-gap and 2-gap whereas Parcells uses a predominantly 2-gap system.
  10. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Are you REALLY qualified to say how high a ratio Bellichick plays 2-gap to 1-gap? That's not a shot, but I doubt it.
  11. theogt

43,707 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Check out his playbooks. I've read through all that are publicly available because of this very issue. He uses both 1 and 2 gap and can even call the specific pass-rush move. It's far different from the overly-simplified scheme we see from a "Parcells/Zimmer" 3-4. You can also watch them play and tell it's not predominantly 2-gap.

Terry Glenn also stated recently that Parcells wasn't always as conservative as he was recently. The only thing different about then vs. now is that Belicheck was writing the playbooks and calling the plays. I might not be "qualified" but Glenn probably is.
  12. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Jason Ferguson said the defense Parcells used here was much more conservative than the one he used with the Jets.
  13. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Sorry, theo. But none of that addresses any sort of ratio, how much a style was played or otherwise. You might be right, but he does play the 2 gap style, and so ruling out using any Patriots defensive linemen isn't fair. They're all better than ours, save maybe Wilfork - and they prove it on the field.
  14. slick325

slick325 Well-Known Member

1,822 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Great work Tek.
  15. theogt

43,707 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Right, but no one here is able to say that they use a predominantly 2-gap scheme, so you can't "rule them in" either. So.....back to square one.
  16. TEK2000

TEK2000 New Member

2,152 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Its quite simple.

Take a few plays. Discuss what one team did on each play and then discuss what the other team did on each play.
    Don't discuss HOW each PLAYER performed on each play.
  17. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,739 Messages
    1,169 Likes Received

I wonder if that was because of Zimmer? Remember, he had to teach Zimmer how to run it first. He probably did not trust/or have the time to teach him all the concepts because of other team responsibilities.

Maybe that was why it was so vanilla?

Or, do you think that Parcells was just to stubborn to take chances?
  18. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,457 Messages
    3,282 Likes Received
    Actually it was Aaron Glenn.

But Adam is also right when he says Fergie said it too. They both did.
  19. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    They do play it.

So you can hardly rule them out of any discussion about transitioning well from run to pass, no matter how infrequently they do it.
  20. TEK2000

TEK2000 New Member

2,152 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Chargers points allowed per game: 18.9 (ranked #7)
    Cowboys points allowed per game: 21.9 (ranked #20)

Stopping the run is great... but it doesn't help much when the offense can pass at will on you.

:)