1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Video: Jackie Battle may have "it"

Discussion in 'Artwork Zone' started by juck, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,242 Messages
    2,992 Likes Received
    I don't know Steve Jackson runs upright and it has not hurt him. Battle will lower the shoulders at contact and once he breaks through he has good speed. Myself I think like many college players around the nation some guys get overlooked and I think Battle is just one of these guys. I do think playing in an unorthodox offense and sharing duties with some others may have resulted in scouts not looking at him and he really did not get noticed much until scouts started looking a Kolb. Right now none of that will matter to Battle if he can go out and play the game they way he knows how I think he has a good shot at making the team
  2. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    His running style looks almost exacly like Larry Johnson. If you watch that, then clips of Johnson, they're both long-striders, and tend towards running upright. Battle just doesn't look like he's got the build of Johnson. But both look like your standard large, one-cut backs.
  3. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,546 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    Larry Johnson gets punished alot too. At least he does have some slight wiggle which is going to prolong his career, Battle's only hope is going to be given limited carries.

But make no mistake, I am rooting for him to do well, so he could be the awesomeness on our roster, or maybe a team will trade for him or something. If he lit it up in pre-season, picking up a conditional late rounder like a 6th brings us out on top. I think.
  4. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,705 Messages
    3,925 Likes Received

i agree. I think the higher drafted guys get a longer ride and more benefit of the doubt with injuries and performance but there are certainly people out there who aren't drafted and can play in the NFL. That's been true since the beginning.

I'm glad he doesn't have issues. I do have some concerns but they're minor and they're certainly of no import regarding his ability to land a spot. They never call me before making roster decisions. :) My guess is teams just didn't see enough predraft to make him draftable. I'm still a little bit amazed his pro day workout didn't get him drafted though.
  5. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,806 Messages
    172 Likes Received

exactly my point
  6. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Its been said that aside from two RB's at the top, this was the worst crop of RB's in recent memory. If you had any discernible talent, teams were just looking for reasons to draft you out of sheer demand.

I don't know why they would think that considering Barber is our most versatile back, by a large margin.
  7. Doomsday101

77,242 Messages
    2,992 Likes Received
    I think Battle may have been surprised that he was not drafted after his workouts and getting the rave reviews after that workout. I do agree that getting drafted allows the player more of the benefit of the doubt so for Battle he has to make the most of his opportunity when he is on the field be it special teams work or when he is lined up in the backfield because he may not get as long of a look if he can't impress the coaches each time he is out on the field.
  8. Facin'Fools

Facin'Fools King Of McCordsville

273 Messages
    0 Likes Received

well its kinda weird that your location is in my pants then.......:confused:
  9. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,806 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Is it really? You know you like it :laugh1:
  10. 5mics

5mics Next Year's Champions

1,827 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Huh? How could you be from H-Town but your family from Dallas? Anyways, enjoy doing time in this great city of ours..... :laugh2:

And for the record, I think Battle makes the practice squad this season.....
  11. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,806 Messages
    172 Likes Received

if you can't figure it out, you don't need to know. Stay in school.
  12. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Guys, the only job Jackie Battle is going to be battling for is burger flipping.

[IMG]
  13. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,806 Messages
    172 Likes Received

Lmao!

the only question about him is which fast food place will it be at :D
  14. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The only issue I have with this is that at this point we don't even have a good feel for whether he is better or more talented than Thompson, much less Barber.

I'm all for giving him a shot, and I hope he proves to be bvery talented, but it's way premature to say he should be kept over anyone just yet.

I clearly said that it would be stupid to believe that he was just overlooked, so if you don't believe that then I wasn't calling you stupid - and if I got the wrong imprssion about your post or I came on too strong, I apologize.

And even so, there is a difference between calling an idea stupid and calling a person stupid. I called the idea that he was overlooked stupid - not you personally.

JUST FOR THE RECORD THOUGH: all of this you just typed about possible reasons he wasn't drafted was not part of your earlier post - earlier you just said you didn't understnd why a guy with his measurables wasn't drafted.
  15. Doomsday101

77,242 Messages
    2,992 Likes Received

I do think guys get overlooked and end up proving themselves as UDFA like Drew Pearson why did he go undrafted? He clearly had the talent to play at this level but within 12 rds he was not selected. To think any scouting department on any team can see all of the players at all of the different colleges and not miss out on players is not unreasonable and not impossible
  16. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm not sure overlooked is the word, but clearly people get misjudged and/or undervalued. It happens all the time - even with players that get drafted. The opposite is also true - people get overvalued as well.

The point is that drafting is not an exact science, but the scouts use all the information possible and evaluate every player as fully as they feel they can in an effort to minimize mistakes.

I'm sure at times part of being misjudged o undervalued is that scouts have to allocate time and sometimes give less time to players that have potential - but they have to make some choices and they have to draw the line and they have to consider all factors, even some off-field factors.

Keep in mind that with Drew Pearson it's easy to say now that he "clearly had the talent", but that' speaking with the benefit of hindsight.

I hope Battle has that kind of talent as well, but I'm conident that between ALL the teams there were some legitimate reasons that he dropped.

The key is that he has to go into camp, work his *** off and prove that he was misjudged and undervalued. I hope he does.
  17. Doomsday101

77,242 Messages
    2,992 Likes Received
    I would somewhat agree with your assessment and while I have been a fan of Jackie Battle here in Houston I'm not under any illusions that he is a sure thing. He has to go out and prove himself.
  18. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This is all I'm saying.

I've just had too many folks on this board and another I'm a member of say we SHOULD do this or that with Battle - that we should keep him and let Thompson go or we should use Battle in short yardage situations instead of Barber or whatever.

My only point is that right now the ONLY thing we should do is bring him to camp and see what he is capable of, and only then should we decide whether to cut another player or use him in certain situations.

I just can't understand the notion that considerations should be given to a low rated undrafted FA over a known player before even taking a look at the FA in training camp.
  19. Doomsday101

77,242 Messages
    2,992 Likes Received
    I feel the draft is over and really don't care where any player was drafted or not it is what you do on the field from this point on. Granted top picks we get more leeway but in the end they face the same as any other player.
  20. 5mics

5mics Next Year's Champions

1,827 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey, I may be dense BUT I'm not the one cryin' cuz I'm stuck in a city I hate all the while boohooing about going back "home." Like I said before, "man up." Figured it out now kiddo? :D