1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Video: Video: Leonard Davis is hurting the Cowboys right now

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dcfanatic, Sep 22, 2010.

1. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Leonard Davis is hurting the Cowboys right now

Last season we started noticing that Leonard Davis and Andre Gurode were not really playing at a Pro Bowl level any longer. And both guys have admitted that they did not have great seasons.

Well it looks like Davis is not going to be getting better any time soon...

[youtube]-uallVEgro4[/youtube]

Now if you are Jason Garrett and you see this film do you really want to go into the Texans game looking to depend on this guy to play well and help the running game finally get going this season.

That would be insane thinking. If the lineman are allowing guys to run free and nail the RB's as soon as they take the snap the run game has no chance for success.

And I think part of this is on the scheme.

Enough with all of the pulling and trapping. Garrett has to start understanding these guys might need to get back to basics and just hit the man in front of them as the RB's take the hand off. Let these RB's just use their vision to find a hole along the line somewhere. Way too much penetration so the talent of these RB's is going to waste
  2. Doctor32

Doctor32 Hi-Definition Warrior

1,068 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Actually. Leonard Davis had a tremendous game against the skins Mayock.
  3. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,191 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Davis and Colombo are the weak links on the offense right now. At least Colombo has an excuse and I am sure if he is right physically he will be fine. Davis on the other hand seems slow and has been making far too many mental mistakes in my opinion.

Im not expert on line play or anything but it sure does seem like when there are guys running free they are coming from his area more then not.

Lets hope he turns it around, lord knows Wade will stick with him regardless of how he plays.
  4. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    in the other thread you created:

I'm off his bandwagon.
  5. stilltheguru

stilltheguru New Member

2,884 Messages
    0 Likes Received

And where is your proof? Atleast give examples of certain plays.
  6. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Sturm's "Decoding Garrett" Blog on DMN also has some youtube clips of Bigg just letting defenders blow by him untouched.
  7. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I cut those clips. Davis is just killing the running game right now.
  8. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

2,242 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Briggs is no slouch.
  9. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I caught this today on t.v.

That one play looked like a zone play for Felix Jones. I didn't catch that when I first saw it. I have been calling for zone runs for # 28. I hope to see more of those plays. Don't give up on them. Jones will hit some home-runs on those plays.

That running lane opened up, but Davis whiffed. That was gong to be a big run for # 28.

If Davis gets low and cuts that guy (a clean block), and it looks like he could have, that is a big run for Felix.

Barber had a good lane on another Davis missed assignment.

Davis looked bad, just like Broaddus stated.

Garrett has to hold Houck accountable, and Houck needs to fix this mess.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,644 Messages
    4,520 Likes Received
    Sorry, dc, there's no excuse for not being able to pull or trap at this level. It's not the scheme, and it's not the play caller--which is all we heard about earlier in the week. It's the players. Davis is a borderline liability right now. We need to replace him in the offseason, and we're probably considering using Holland in his place starting with the bye week if he can't play better in HOU. At least we should be.

Davis/Gurode have been a problem the last two years. Other than the early snap (*****) last week, Gurode's been playing ok so far, but Davis is doing the same stuff that was getting us beat last season. I don't know what our OL coach is doing if we can't diagnose and correct a problem at RG after three seasons. Seriously.
  11. canters

canters Active Member

1,778 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Yep, the OL is in transisition right now and has been since the Minny game when Flo quit on us.

We may see as many as 3 new starters ( Bigg, Gurode, and Colombo ) next year, if it possible to replace 3 guys in one off-season. It will be a painful time for the QB and the RBs.
  12. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    How does this get fixed? Is this going to continue to happen all season? How do you go from being a pro-bowler to missing blocks repeatedly? Is he just not physically able to do it anymore?
  13. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,815 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    he goes to the pro bowl because he is big.....he will be gone as soon as it is not cost prohibitive. NEVER...and I do mean NEVER was a fan of this signing at this price...especially for a GUARD. I contended then and I still contend that Dallas thought he would play OT for them one day. There is no way you give 50M to a guard that had never really done much other than be a high draft pick and be big

Miles is playing like and being paid like a first rounder.

Roy was traded for with a 1st, 3rd and 5th. And being paid like a first rounder.

Dez is a first rounder

Barber is being paid like a first rounder

Felix is a first rounder.

You starting to see my point....how can we justify the pick spent on skill positions when there is NO BLOCKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I understand the players don't get excused for not performing.

But as the coach seeing this trash on film you have to change it up.

If these players are going to fail time and time again on these plays then change the blocking assignments so they just hit the guy in front of them.

Simplify the roles. I know it's annoying to do so, but a win is a win right now.

Seeing a guy with Felix's ability being tackled 3 yards in the backfield before he even gets a shot at running through all that open space makes me want to throw my computer out the window!

:laugh1:
  15. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,665 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    I think he played well against the skins, but that's the frustrating thing about him. He's good one game, then lousy the next, usually when it's against a quicker defense. You put someone like Briggs against him, and he can't stay with him.
  16. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,393 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    I did some isolation study of footage when he first arrived. Davis would maul guys, but then about every sixth play he'd completely whiff.

Now it's about once every third play.

With his inconsistency, he never was really a pro-bowl player. Just hyped because of his monster blocks.

It's a combination of poor football IQ, poor lateral speed, and lapses in technique.
  17. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,393 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    Jerry loves him those "wow" players.

We can't draft a lineman to save our life...and we never even try until the 5th round or later. They've even bragged about that philosophy.
  18. DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

1,104 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    You dont know a thing about football....LMAO

Isolation study....lol....
  19. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,761 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    LOL.

All these fans that supposedly break down film of games crack me up.