1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Vince Young broke

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by RS12, Sep 18, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,243 Messages
    1,169 Likes Received
    ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
    Six years after getting $26 million guaranteed, Vince Young is broke http://wp.me/p14QSB-5mRe
    View summary
    Reply Retweet Favorite
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,243 Messages
    1,169 Likes Received
    You can never have a big enough posse, too much jewelry, or too many rims for your rides.
  3. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,214 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    Crazy how quickly this dude fell off..
  4. moe_214

moe_214 New Member

26 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can't even feel bad for him, just dumb
  5. MoClaiborne24

MoClaiborne24 Member

456 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How in the world do you blow 26 million dollars. Dude was set, for life.
  6. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I read that last year during the lockout, he took out some kind of high-interest, high-risk loan and wasn't able to pay it back.

Today, he posted on Twitter that he was moving to Texas. And also something about business opportunities down here. I hope he has a good advisor.
  7. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    This doesn't surprise me in the least bit, but he is one of many.
  8. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not surprising he was always a very talented athlete, but not very smart. I still remember his infamous game winning touchdown against USC in the National Championship Game in 2006. Definitely one of the greatest moments for me as a sports fan. Shame to see one of my favorite Longhorns fall so far.
  9. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,974 Messages
    231 Likes Received
    easy, spend $26 million, like you have $26 Billion
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,758 Messages
    5,469 Likes Received
    The league should setup a mandatory trust for these guys and put 10% of their rookie contracts in it at the outset, allowing them to opt-in a larger contribution over time. They might do that already, I don't know. But there's no excuse for these guys growing broke a year after the exit the league. It's ridiculous.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,796 Messages
    1,635 Likes Received
    Here we go again......
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    stupid is as stupid does

there is no excuse. None at all.
  13. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,512 Messages
    1,704 Likes Received
    He could get a job at UT starting immediately I imagine.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    Greed. Always about greed.

$26 million invested securely would generate probably $200,000 a year income even after taxes. Maybe more. And he was getting his yearly salary as well. Not sure what that was but probably in the area of at least $500,000 a year. If you cannot live on that you are worthless.
  15. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,561 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    DAE think lyke, we shud totally brin him in???
  16. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,719 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    I wonder how his steakhouse in Austin is doing.
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,038 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    This does not come as a shock to me... Sad
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received

That's the trouble for a lot of these guys. Think they are "investing" their money with their money people, but they're making really risky investments based on the advice of "money people" who are better pitch men than math men.

I remember in one of Bill Parcells press conferences he said the first piece of advice he gives to any player is never put money into a restaurant. When I heard the advertisments for that restaurant in Austin, I knew he was going to be in money troubles soon. The restaurant may not have singlehandedly sunk him, but just the fact that he thinks financially backing a restaurant is a good business/investment venture indicates someone who lacks some financial savvy and wisdom.

Anthony Bourdain's book Kitchen Confidential goes into detail of all the starry eyed restaurant owners he's seen fleeced for millions working in the New York City restaurant scene for 30 years. Restaurants have an atrocious success rate and can be one of the biggest money sinkholes imaginable, and high end restaurants especially so given the food and operating costs. That's not to say that high end restaurants can't succeed, but the ones who typically succeed are run by "lifers" in the restaurant business who have a track record of success operating restaurants at profit and know what they're doing (and even they strike out a good deal). It's not an industry for novices and dabbling part timers and people looking for a vanity asset. There's a lot of charlatan huckster restauranteurs out there who woo financial backing for restaurants stroking the egos of athletes and celebrties who get seduced at the thought of having their name on the sign and their own private room.
  19. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,725 Messages
    1,768 Likes Received
    It's been said by people smarter than me that you take all the money in the United States and divide it evenly among every American over the age of 18.....and within five years it would all be back where it started.

I've come to believe that.
  20. panchucko

panchucko I'm too excited to sleep.. Zone Supporter

1,974 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    Not taking over for Sam Hurd i hope.