1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Virgin Mocker

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by bringinthehurt31, Feb 18, 2012.

1. bringinthehurt31

bringinthehurt31 Member

115 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have never done a mock draft in my 32 years of life but it's time for a change. I admit, as much as I love the draft, I am in no way really informed on all players and I tend to lean to those that I have seen play.

First things first.

Resign:

Robinson- Reasons are pretty obvious. He and Romo appeared to be on the same page more times than not. He may end up getting more money somewhere else but I think we will try like heck to keep him.

Fiammetta- Run game was a lot better with him. My only conceren is his injury history.

Mcbrair- When healthy, he is a game changer. Strange to say that when talking about a punter, but his ablity to change field postion is huge.

Spencer- This guy has been debated probably more than any other. However, I really don't see anyone out there in FA or the draft (other than Mario Williams) who I can say is that much better. Sure he could do better rushing the QB, no doubt, but he is a very solid OLB who stays healthy and knows the system.

Draft:

1st-Janoris Jenkins- I know he has had issue's off the field, but his on the field play speaks for itself. A solid pick who starts day one and has the ability to shut down his side of the field. Paired with Mike Jenkins, the boy's have a pair of young pro bowl caliber corners in a pass happy NFL.
    I debated on Decastro here also. Jenkins wins out based on need and I belive the guard depth in this class in very good. However, if Jerry and Co. pulled the trigger on Decastro in the first, I wouldn't cry or complain. He will no doubt be a stud for a long time.

Round 2- Amini Silatolu guard out of Midwestern State. This is were we address the OL. Guard was an obvious weakness last year. Jerry wants to keep Romo upright and healthy and does something about it in this draft. I admitt that I don't know much about the guy, but after doing some reading on him on here. I like what I am reading. I also thought about Kevin Zeitler from Wisconsin here. Regardless of what name the guy goes by, I expect it to be a guard.

Round 3- Bruce Irvin OLB WVU- This is my straight up homer pick and probably a pipe dream. I doubt he will be there when we pick, but one can dream. I saw Bruce play every game of his WVU career. Very athletic and wicked quick. Plays with great pursuit and is relentless. Has gained 17 lbs. since the Orange Bowl,via his twitter. Need's work to be an every down player. Wasn't asked to due much in coverage in college. To me, he has the most upside of any of the OLB's in this years draft class when it come's to the pass rush. I belive he will blow up the combine and most likely go 2nd round and in the case he does, my back up plan is Peter Konz. I think it is realistic he falls due to health concerns. When healthy he can be dominate.

Round 4- Ladarius Green- TE. With Bennett's departure due to getting offered starter money somewhere else, TE once again becomes a need for Dallas. I like John Phillips, but his health is a question. Trumaine Johnson, CB, out of Montana could be a good constalion prize here also. Same goes with James Micheal - Johnson. the linebacker from Neveda.

Round 5- Derrik Wolfe DT. Cincinnati- Good, solid player. The D-line needs some help and Wolfe could be a good rotational player that one day fights for a full time starting position. Back up plan for D line help is Jullian Miller DE from WVU. He was a very solid player and was often over shadowed in college by Irvin. At only 268 lbs. He would need to add some weight.

Round 6- Joe Adams Wr. Arkansas- Could be a number 4 reciever or slot guy. Wicked fast and his 40 time may shoot him up some draft boards. Potential to be a huge difference maker day one in the return game.

Round 7- Keith Tandy Cb. WVU- Yep, you guessed it. I am a WVU homer. Tandy though has a lot to like. Put up some good numbers and is a ball hawk. Will gamble some and get burnt. At 5'10 and 200 pounds he is not a small Cb. May be a canidate for a switch to free safety down the road.

Free agency- My personal belife is we won't be as active as some would like. While I would love to get someone like Nick's or Grubbs, I doubt it happens.
    I think we will address a few postions via FA but guard isn't one of them.
    Instead, I think it may go something like this.

Nick Hardwick- Center. Solid veteran that can be the Qb of the line.

D'Qwell Jackson ILB- Has been discussed on here and the link to Rob Ryan only adds fuel.

Tyvon Branch SS- I really like this idea. I view him as an upgrade to Elam. May not rack up the ints. but is a solid player with potential. Only 25 years old.

Anyway, thats my crack at a mock. It really was a lot harder than I thought it would be. What do you all think?
  2. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,118 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    I can certainly live with that draft. Loved the first 5 picks. And I can live with Spencer for a season, if it means drafting his potential replacement in Bruce Irvin.
  3. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,545 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I like it. Good job.
  4. batman36

batman36 Member

508 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I too, like Bruce Irvin as a potential selection. Thanks for the effort!
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,770 Messages
    1,196 Likes Received
    A little thin on the OLine for my tastes, but overall I like it.
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,864 Messages
    2,222 Likes Received
    I like it. Addresses positions of need. Free agency is good too - adding a center.

Good work.
  7. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I just saw yesterday that Cleveland will franchise tag D'Qwell Jackson if they can't sign him before free agency begins.
  8. Tex

Tex Active Member

557 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I think Koonz is more likely to slide into the late 1'st then drop to mid 3'rd.

Top center in the draft and is versatile enough to play guard. Medical concerns seem way overblown. He may go in the 3'rd if he gets hit by a truck before the draft though.

Tex
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,982 Messages
    3,190 Likes Received
    Fellow WV homer approves. :D
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,788 Messages
    3,524 Likes Received
    Excellent mock and analysis!

Draft:

1st-Janoris Jenkins- I know he has had issue's off the field, but his on the field play speaks for itself. A solid pick who starts day one and has the ability to shut down his side of the field. Paired with Mike Jenkins, the boy's have a pair of young pro bowl caliber corners in a pass happy NFL.
    I debated on Decastro here also. Jenkins wins out based on need and I belive the guard depth in this class in very good. However, if Jerry and Co. pulled the trigger on Decastro in the first, I wouldn't cry or complain. He will no doubt be a stud for a long time.
    If Decastro and Jenkins are both available at #14, I would prefer Decastro hands down. I love Jenkins talent; however, he has 2 major negatives (character and height). I could live with one or the other negative, but at #14, I would have to say no to a double-negative player.

If you want a undersized CB with character issues, look at Cliff Harris in the late rounds of the draft. IMO, he has similiar talent to Jenkins, but is a knucklehead that got kicked off his team similiar to what happened to Jenkins. The difference is that Jenkins did it last year and Harris did it this year.

Round 2- Amini Silatolu guard out of Midwestern State. This is were we address the OL. Guard was an obvious weakness last year. Jerry wants to keep Romo upright and healthy and does something about it in this draft. I admitt that I don't know much about the guy, but after doing some reading on him on here. I like what I am reading. I also thought about Kevin Zeitler from Wisconsin here. Regardless of what name the guy goes by, I expect it to be a guard.
    I would like to see footage of this player. It appears that he might be the #3 Guard in this draft. Zietler might be more ready on day one, but he is probably not going to get much better whereas Silatolu appears to have a higher ceiling (according the the draft gurus).

Round 3- Bruce Irvin OLB WVU- This is my straight up homer pick and probably a pipe dream. I doubt he will be there when we pick, but one can dream. I saw Bruce play every game of his WVU career. Very athletic and wicked quick. Plays with great pursuit and is relentless. Has gained 17 lbs. since the Orange Bowl,via his twitter. Need's work to be an every down player. Wasn't asked to due much in coverage in college. To me, he has the most upside of any of the OLB's in this years draft class when it come's to the pass rush. I belive he will blow up the combine and most likely go 2nd round and in the case he does, my back up plan is Peter Konz. I think it is realistic he falls due to health concerns. When healthy he can be dominate.
    I love, love, love this pick. Irvin in the 3rd would be the steal of the draft, IMO. I've Tivo'ed a lot of college games this year and watched a lot of highlights of players and Irvin might have the best Wow factor of any of them. There are a lot of questions about his character/background/intelligence and size; however, his burst off the snap and agility are unmatched in this draft at the OLB position. Physically, I think that he can do anything that Von Miller can. I agree that he is going to blow up the combine.

Round 4- Ladarius Green- TE. With Bennett's departure due to getting offered starter money somewhere else, TE once again becomes a need for Dallas. I like John Phillips, but his health is a question. Trumaine Johnson, CB, out of Montana could be a good constalion prize here also. Same goes with James Micheal - Johnson. the linebacker from Neveda.
    Good value in the 4th. If Trumaine Johnson is available, I would prefer him. Physically, Johnson looks better than Kirkpatrick, IMO.

Round 5- Derrik Wolfe DT. Cincinnati- Good, solid player. The D-line needs some help and Wolfe could be a good rotational player that one day fights for a full time starting position. Back up plan for D line help is Jullian Miller DE from WVU. He was a very solid player and was often over shadowed in college by Irvin. At only 268 lbs. He would need to add some weight.
    I thought he looked good in the passrush drills at the Senior bowl.

Round 6- Joe Adams Wr. Arkansas- Could be a number 4 reciever or slot guy. Wicked fast and his 40 time may shoot him up some draft boards. Potential to be a huge difference maker day one in the return game.
    Good value in the 6th. The Boys need this type of player on the team.

Round 7- Keith Tandy Cb. WVU- Yep, you guessed it. I am a WVU homer. Tandy though has a lot to like. Put up some good numbers and is a ball hawk. Will gamble some and get burnt. At 5'10 and 200 pounds he is not a small Cb. May be a canidate for a switch to free safety down the road.
    I noticed him make some plays while I was watching WVU games to see Irvin.

Free agency

Nick Hardwick- Center. Solid veteran that can be the Qb of the line.
    A 1-year contract would be good.

D'Qwell Jackson ILB- Has been discussed on here and the link to Rob Ryan only adds fuel.
    I depends on what how Rob Ryan feels about Bruce Carter because D. Jackson is going to require a multi-year contract.

Tyvon Branch SS- I really like this idea. I view him as an upgrade to Elam. May not rack up the ints. but is a solid player with potential. Only 25 years old.
    Team leader in tackles the last 2 years and ran a 4.31 forty at the combine.

Anyway, thats my crack at a mock. It really was a lot harder than I thought it would be. What do you all think?

Again, well thought out with a good write-up.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,788 Messages
    3,524 Likes Received
  12. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Good mock. I would take it.

But I believe Adams will be taken before the 6th round. Maybe even as high as 3rd round.
  13. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "Virgin..."
    posted by bringinthehurt

lol

(oh, and I like the plan. Give me Devon Wylie instead of Joe Adams in the 4th and bump the rest down and I'll take this in a heart beat.)
  14. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "Why....hello 'Virgin Mocker'...tonight is going to be a special night for the both of us...."

[IMG]