1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Von Miller Scouting Report

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by acer941, Feb 1, 2011.

1. acer941

acer941 Member

249 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Von Miller
    6'3, 243 pounds | Outside linebacker | Texas A&M

Coverage:
    Has shown some improvement in this area, but was never required to consistently drop back in coverage. That changed some under new coordinator Tim DeRuyter. As such, Miller is raw in his technique and following routes. He has the athleticism to make up for missteps, but can be fooled on double moves. Is better when asked to cover man-to-man than in zone. At times looks lost when there are receivers working behind him.

Instincts/recognition: Miller is a "see ball, get ball" athlete who coaches can let loose. If he's put in a system where he can freelance, he should be fine. But Miller's play recognition skills are only decent. He should improve here facing more-complicated looks in the pros. If he doesn't, it will be hard for Miller to live up to his eye-popping college stats.

[IMG]
    Pass rush: Miller was the "joker" for A&M, a hybrid linebacker/defensive end position that allowed him to stand up near the line of scrimmage. The pass rush is where he'll make his money in the NFL and perhaps garner him a first-round position. Miller is aplomb at working to the outside because of his great first step and follow-up speed. He's surprisingly strong working to the inside and gets good natural leverage due to his height. But if Miller comes out of his stance too high, offensive linemen can easily neutralize him in space. Miller has a variety of pass rush moves, his best being an inside spin.

Pursuit/Lateral movement and agility: Miller is tenacious in pursuit as long as he's free to run around. He has good range and lateral fluidity. Has good playing speed for a linebacker to close on the ball carrier. Needs to show more anticipation as he'll often run himself out of a play.

Quickness: Possesses great quickness off the snap. This is by far Miller's best feature. Is quick with his footwork and handwork. Can get up to his full speed in an instant. Very explosive out of a two-point stance.

Run defense: Because of what he was asked to do at A&M, Miller is behind the curve in run defense. Looked better in run defense as a senior, but still gives up too much space to the outside. Needs to learn to play more contained and fill gaps. Gets held up by power linemen, especially guards pulling. Because he can't anchor, teams can elect to run at Miller and have success.

Strength/Ability to shed blocks: Is the kind of player who prefers to run around blockers instead of through them. Doesn't have the lower body strength to anchor and hold up on the line of scrimmage. Because of that, Miller can be washed out of plays. Is fairly strong in his upper body to hit and tackle.

Final word: Miller is going to make a lot of money thanks to a player like Clay Matthews of the Packers' They're very similar in that they played a hybrid pass rusher position in college.

But if Miller wants to succeed like Matthews has, he has some work to do. Matthews left USC at a similar size as Miller, but he's bulked up 15 pounds since then. Miller will have to do the same so he can better play the run and handle the load of a 3-4 linebacker. Right now, Miller just doesn't have the lower body strength to consistently play his side of the field.

Will enter the NFL raw in pass coverage and suspect against the run. Was mostly used at A&M as an upfield player and will start his pro career in the same role. If a team needs someone to purely get after the quarterback, that's Miller. He could be a big-time mover up draft boards, similar to Matthews two years ago and Koa Misi in 2010.

Struggled early in his senior season due to a knee sprain. Really came on toward the end of 2010 with eight tackles in his final six games. Finished the year with 10.5 sacks.

Do you still think we should Draft him at the 9th Overall pick?

( This scouting report was 3 days before the Senior Bowl )
  2. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    IF Miller is there at 9 I'd take him... He's a playmaker!
  3. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received

assuming peterson is off the board and assuming we can't trade down then yes i would rather take a playmaker like miller at 9 than force a o-lineman there. also think that there is alot of DL depth in this draft and that a good one like JJ watt might be there at 40
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,555 Messages
    1,732 Likes Received

Just don't do what Matthews did to gain that weight.
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Not strong enough to be a 34 ILB. Our run D was bad enough last year. This wouldn't help. He'd be getting blocked out of plays left and right.
  6. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,215 Messages
    671 Likes Received
    In a heart beat. His production and potential speaks for itself.

No rookie comes in perfect all-around. This kid is dynamic enough that you tailor plays just for him - that is something special. Even as a situational outside rusher and nickle inside backer early on, imagine him and Ware coming full speed...

Imagine him in the amoeba and teams not knowing exactly where he is coming from. I am salivating just thinking about it.
  7. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Exactly... He'll be a terror in a Rob Ryan defense.
  8. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Last time he was officially measured he was 6'2.5" 237 lbs.
  9. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pass, pass, and pass. No way does a kid that light in the *** need to be playing LB'er with the 9th overall pick. NO way.
  10. texbumthelife

3,215 Messages
    671 Likes Received
    I can almost guarantee he comes in at 245+ in the combine. It's not like the kid is blind to his shortcomings either.
  11. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,292 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    I give the edge to Robert Quinn right now, but if Quinn is off the board, Von Miller is a no brainer. Everyone is clamoring for Clay Matthews but pooh-pooh a similar playmaker like Von Miller?
  12. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He hurt the Aggies more than he helped in this game.

[youtube]qoQII6vrPHE[/youtube]
  13. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,900 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    I don't think he will. He may put on a few pounds between now and then, but I don't see him coming in at over 245 lbs.
  14. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    At least seven pounds of muscle in three weeks? Thats a lot.
  15. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    That video shows the problem i would have with picking the guy so high too. We already have a talented speed rusher who needs to work on not neglecting his lane assignments and getting too far upfield at times. His name is Ware.. he's the best in the league as a speed rusher. We need a guy with strength and size who can collapse the pocket and run guys over on the way to the QB, not another guy who's going to loop around the outside to try and get to the QB.
  16. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    We need run stoppers in the middle. Someone to maintain the line of scrimmage on running downs. A NT and a DE. (especially a DE if Spears walks)
  17. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,980 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    He's strong enough to play the Brookings/Lee role, but we have Lee therir so no need to draft him
  18. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pretty small for a 3-4 OLB, and to use him as an ILB would be to waste his skill set.
  19. texbumthelife

3,215 Messages
    671 Likes Received
    Cause he can't blitz from the inside? Can you imagine Ware and him blitzing from the same side with Miller inside Ware?