1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Vontaze Burfict bombs his Pro Day, too

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Mar 16, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,557 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    Posted by Evan Silva on March 16, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT

AP
    Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict bombed the Combine. His interviews were described as disastrous, and his forty time and jumps were pathetic compared to the rest of the linebackers invited to Indianapolis.

So Burfict surely prepared and rebounded at his Pro Day, right?

Wrong.

According to SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline, Burfict was “not good in position drills” at the Sun Devils’ Friday workout, and Pauline acknowledged that he’s “watering that down.” One scout told Pauline he “actually felt bad for [Burfict].”

Burfict managed only 16 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. With poor measurables and game tape, and suspect on- and off-the-field character, Burfict may struggle to be drafted at all in April.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/vontaze-burfict-bombs-his-pro-day-too/
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    this guy has to be the dumbest gomer ever

All the screwups he had up to now anyone with a brain at all had to know he needed to nail it on his pro day. He did not even try to prepare.

Well he will not need much training for his next job

"Do you want fries with that?"
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,557 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    Either A) bad advice or B) no getting through to him
  4. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    everything about this kid screams bust , so watch him get drafted by the steelers and all of a sudden he will be a pro bowler :p:
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,490 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Take a flyer on him as an UDFA now.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    bad advice don't cut it- if you are too stupid to figure out that you needed to prepare and show the teams you are serious about being a pro then you are too stupid to draft
  7. Dcowboy84

Dcowboy84 Well-Known Member

1,142 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    i remember when he committed to ASU it was a big deal that they beat out USC for his services.

then every year all the headlines on him were about personal foul penalties and being benched for attitude and all that

now he goes into the year as a potential top 10 pick....sucks on the field....and then when he has his chance for his job interview with the NFL he sucks it up worse than in games

what a disappointment

though like a post above said he'll probably get taken by like the steelers, pats or ravens late or as an UDFA and suddenly dominate
  8. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,883 Messages
    574 Likes Received
    What an idiot.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,902 Messages
    2,710 Likes Received
    I cannot remember a player plummeting quite like this.
  10. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Me either.

Hard to say he doesn't deserve it though.

I'm not even sure I would want him on the team at all.

He just doesn't seem to care.
  11. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I would there
  12. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,702 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    Although we were disappointed we lost him (he was a verbal commit for close to a year), it was due to him knowing he wouldn't be able to qualify academically for USC. Probably a telling sign about where he stands now.
  13. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,203 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    I'm a bit confused about this guy. Admittedly, I don't follow college football, so keep that in mind.
    But, why does this guy get so much attention? Everything I've read about him as a prospect has been terrible. He's apparently a huge jerk, who can't perform physically either. I know lots of jerks who aren't athletic or strong enough to be NFL players, nobody ever does a story about their draft prospects.
  14. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    He came in as a true freshman and made some pretty big hits and got his name out there.

[youtube]EwJCYhOdazE[/youtube]

People raised their expectations and all he did from there was ruin his reputation.
  15. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm an ASU alum and I'd love to say his upside is worth the gamble. But he was the ring-leader of one of the most undisciplined, underachieving, waste-of-talent defenses I've ever had the misfortune of rooting for. And given some of the recent Dallas defenses, that's saying something. His freshman year success went to his head and it was downhill from there.

Burfict's specialty is the flagrant personal-foul penalty, always perfectly timed at the most critical moment of a game. Often followed by another, or worse, reckless abandonment of his coverage assignment in pursuit of "payback." We're almost finished extinguishing that kind of stupidity from the Cowboys. No thanks.

Check YouTube. Its almost laughable how many videos are posted of his stupid plays. Even a dummy draft prospect would've known by last year that his game film would be seen by NFL teams.

That said, there is zero chance in my mind that he goes undrafted. He's what the seventh round was created for...
  16. 2much2soon

2much2soon Active Member

2,444 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Exactly.

The NFL is all about getting guys with raw measurables who look good in their under wear. Whether they can actually play the game or not.

That is why you see all these 6'5", 230 pound college QBs who can throw lasers all over the field in practice, but can't play and don't truly understand the game very well, drafted every year.
  17. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Meh, maybe rather than "bombing" his Pro Day, he just was never that athletically gifted to begin with. Seems like he benefited mostly from having a neat YouTube video made of him one time.
  18. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think there may be much truth in what you say