1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Vontaze Burfict: Draft me and you get a great middle linebacker

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Apr 20, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,144 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    With the NFL draft starting in six days, Vontaze Burfict knows he needs to change perceptions about him.

Burfict, the former Arizona State linebacker who struggled at the Combine, bombed his Pro Day, wasn’t invited to visit any teams and was described as “non-draftable,” has given an interview to Sports Illustrated in which he insists he has what it takes to be a tremendous NFL player.

“Whoever picks me in the draft,” Burfict said, “is going to have a great middle linebacker.”

The Sports Illustrated story about Burfict opens with the news that he was spending the day in Las Vegas, and frankly, it wasn’t very smart of Burfict and whoever is advising him these days to have him conduct his interview from a Las Vegas hotel room. There’s nothing wrong with a guy taking a vacation in Las Vegas, but if Burfict is giving interviews in an attempt to change public perceptions about him, he ought to allow some reporters to come join him when he’s busting his butt in the gym, not calling reporters up in between playing blackjack and walking the Strip.

The criticisms of Burfict include his slow 40 times and his hot temper. Burfict says that while it’s true he has some anger issues, he thinks he’s misunderstood.

“[P]eople think I have a bad attitude because of the personal fouls on the field, or I ran a slow 40 at the Combine,” he said. “I’m just real competitive, and I hate to lose. Because of the position I play … you have to have some emotions running through your head. When I’m on the field, I play with anger and aggression; just want to hit somebody. Certain people think, He’s probably like that off the field. I’ve never been arrested, never been pulled over for anything. I wish that all 32 teams could just chill with me for a day and see what kind of person I am off the field. I’m soft-spoken and shy. I’m a laid-back guy.”

It’s too late for Burfict to chill with an NFL team before the draft. But it’s not too late for him to prove that he can be a great middle linebacker. Probably by catching on somewhere as an undrafted free agent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...aft-me-and-you-get-a-great-middle-linebacker/
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,144 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    In 3...2...1 :lmao:
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Answer to the post that is sure to follow.

No
  4. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Not even in the 6th?
  5. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

nope, based on his production on the field last year he should be a UDFA. He was living off a over hyped Sophomore campaign.

Between his work out numbers, JR season and character issues I would not even invite the guy to camp.
  6. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,098 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Nope. If the guy even has a shot in this league, Dallas is the worst place for him right now. He needs to go to a team where he has a shot at starting immediately so he'll be focused and motivated. I don't think he's got the attitude and drive to sit and be a developmental player. Our ILB depth is too much right now...as soon as he realizes that he wouldn't get much playing time right away, he might just give up.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    I hope the Redskins, Eagles, or Giants take him...early. Late works fine too. Just get him on one of those teams.
  8. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Word, it might very well be the Eagles or Giants.

The Skins are still Arrington shocked.
  9. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I can see that happening...obviously the eagles don't mind character issues...I think they recruit at San Quentin:D
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,144 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    With his foot speed I dont see him being able to cover at all. If you cant cover in the back 7 or 8, you cant play in the NFL.
  11. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I wouldnt touch him either. Good to see others share the same opinion.
  12. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Remember when the Giants traded up to get him on our site mock? :laugh2:
  13. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,095 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Not just " no ", but....:

F

[IMG]

and yes, all those people are Cowboys fans and all of them are against drafting that clown. I checked.
  14. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sez it plainly enough for me. LOL!
  15. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,759 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    This guy is among the riskiest in the draft...

Love his nasty attitude... hate his character/work ethic issues...

He is all-world in one game, and non-existent in the next one...

I vote no...
  16. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    The kid has rocks for brains.

I don't want him at all - not even as a UDFA.

He is a marginal athlete, shows poor discipline on the field and off the field.

He will be a sidenote about that kid who put a couple of good hits on the opposition once upon a time.

He can look forward to a career moving furniture except he probably doesn't have the work ethic for it.