1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Vontaze Burfict Question

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by egn22, Dec 12, 2011.

1. egn22

egn22 Active Member

817 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Does he not seem like exactly what this defense needs? Someone with a chip on his shoulder, anxious to make a big play, and waiting for a reason to hit someone.
    When's the last time you saw any of our LB's really lay someone down? I love Ware, and Sean Lee is great. Brady James is a great motivational leader and a respected vet. But none of our guys really seem like the get in your face type.
    I'm tired of watching RB's and WR's have season highs against us. Coming in tagging up our locker room, disrespecting our star, telling our QB they want to break his ribs. We need an enforcer on our defense that will give us that edge that we currently lack.
    This seems like the guy.
  2. calicowboy54

calicowboy54 Member

198 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Agreed !!!!!!:bow:
  3. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,739 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    He does, but I worry about two things with him:

1. Taking a stupid penalty
    2. Does he run well enough to not be a liability in the passing game?
  4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Wheather it's Burfict , or somebody else , just give me somebody that has respect and pride when they are on the field . The current team will take a beating and smile the entire time . An attitude adjustment is needed along with some new players that have higher standards .
  5. cowboysfan31

cowboysfan31 Active Member

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Anybody touting Burfict as "what we need" didn't watch him play this year. Burfict isn't anxious to make big plays and hit someone, he's interested in running around blocks, being lazy, and taking cheap shots when they're available. He's someone we don't need.
  6. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,664 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Agreed. I go to ASU and watched almost all ASU games this year. I was high on him at the beginning of the year but as the year went on it was obvious he's not the guy we need.

He regressed so much from last year to this year. Last year he was exactly like the OP said but this year he became a lazy, scared looking player. He always ran around blocks and often got pancaked.

IMO our biggest needs are CB, ball hawking safety that can cover ground, OLB, DT.
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you're talking aggresive edge and desire to put a hurtin' on ballcarriers?

Yes.

Problem is he's insanely immature and even worse IMO is a complete loafer on the field. There is probably not a player in the country whose stock has dropped as much as Burfict.

I wouldn't touch him with anything higher than a 4th rounder.
  8. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Didn't see this post at first.

Spot on.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Burfict from 2010, yes. He would be a good addition.

Burfict from 2011, no. A totally different player and very disappointing.
  10. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,837 Messages
    2,201 Likes Received
    I was going to say 2011 Burfict was like a ghost out there. Disappeared a lot in games against inferior talent. One of those guys that looks like he may have hit his ceiling in 2010.
  11. cruz_aedo861

cruz_aedo861 Member

105 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I love watching Vontaze Burfict play for a team i dont care about but i think i would hate him if he played for the cowboys. he takes to many stupid angles and penalties.
  12. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    We do need a player like this though. A Ray Lewis type. Guy who is big and powerful but has speed and most of all has the will and desire to go out there and just punish people. High intensity guy. We desperately someone like that to come lead this defense. Lee is a start, but he's not a huge guy and not as outspoken. He'll show you how to play, but he won't get in your face about anything.
  13. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,196 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    He may not be the rah rah type like Lewis, but looks to me that he is starting to become a leader out there. When Brady and Brooking are gone next year, I expect him to start asserting himself more. He is already making the calls out there so guys will look to him more and more.
  14. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    He's definitely a leader.. there's no question. I just want a guy who will get up in your face when its needed and who's a little bit of a bigger guy than Lee who can smash bigger offensive backs. Lee has the heart, the intensity, and the drive. If everyone played the game the way he does our D would be 100 times better.
  15. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I was able to see 3 games of his this year and none last year this guy is a joke seriously he must have done something great last year because the guy that I am watching is A W F U L !!! the only thing he did in any of the games really was get a couple of personal fouls... I would be highly disappointed if we took him at all in any round...like I said I have only seen him this year and if that is the guy we get forget it he would never get on the field.
  16. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think Burfict is the guy, but I agree with your sentiments.

In fact, I've been asking for years where is this defense's edge, swagger, attitude?

Ratliff may be the closest thing we've got.

It's sickening to watch a guy like Jacobs talk trash pregame, punk your defense during the game, celebrate shamelessly and not have anyone from the Cowboys do anything.
  17. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Yup, i think we've both talked about this in the past, but Rat desperately needs a position change. He's losing years off of his career right now by being forced to bang his head against a brick wall every play. It takes away from everything he does well. Whether it be a move to the 34 DE spot to bring in a true NT or two, or moving back to a 43 scheme as a DT, he needs a position change to be the beast he can still be.
  18. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,160 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Rat has said time and time again, that NT is his best position. I think deep down, he may be saying, I can't play DE. As much as we want him moved, to me it's obvious he nor the coaches think he can play the position.
  19. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,761 Messages
    674 Likes Received

Every team needs and wants a Ray Lewis type. :)
  20. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Then he needs to be traded while his value is high, we need to go back to the 43, or he needs to stop whining and play 34 DE.. because its painfully obvious we don't collapse the pocket at all on the pass rush and our run D is suffering now as well. Rat just is too small to play the nose and gets knocked around in there. He's not being allowed to utilize his talents to get the most out of him at that position.