1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

W32.Blaster.worm How Do You Kill It?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Hostile, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    The Symantec solution is not working. Malwarebytes.com isn't working.

Tell me what will.
  2. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    try restoring your system to a previous date?

I'm pretty sure i got this and nothing worked but it didn't kill my computer fast enough so i got everything i needed on some thumb drives and restored to factory defaults.

good luck though, i hope you don't have to do that
  3. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    found this

Please follow the instructions below if you would like to remove W32.Blaster.Worm manually. Please notice that you must follow the instructions very carefully and delete everything that is mentioned. In most cases the removal will fail if one single item is not deleted. If W32.Blaster.Worm remains on your system after stepping through the removal instructions, please double-check by stepping through them again.

Enable your firewall. If you don't have a firewall installed, click here.
    Start your computer in safe mode.
    Browse to the key:
    'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run'
    In the right pane, delete the value called 'windows auto update', if it exists.
    Exit the registry editor.
    Start Windows Explorer and delete:
    %SystemDir%\msblast.exe
    Note: %SystemDir% is a variable (?). By default, this is C:\Windows\System (Windows 95/98/Me), C:\WINNT\System32 (Windows NT/2000), or C:\Windows\System32 (Windows XP).
    Download all service packs and critical updates from www.windowsupdate.com.
  4. poke

poke the older I get the better I was

2,574 Messages
    4 Likes Received
  5. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,685 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Curious how did you detect it if Symatec didn't work. And there is a weird tool from them I tried just to be sure yesterday called Deep something or other, it can damage your files but it is the highest level scan. I think if you look under your scan window it says "still think there are threats" or something like that in the current files being scanned box.
  6. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,345 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    With a stick. While he slept. But on a horse, with a lance? That virus is unbeatable.

;)
  7. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Download SDFIX. Always worked for me.

I run norton internet security now, haven't gotten ANYTHING since.
  8. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,435 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    You may wish to consider downloading and running Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus software. It's free. I have been very satisfied with it since replacing Avast! with it. It does a very good job of both detecting and removing trojans, etc.
  9. Sam I Am

31,345 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Actually, I've been finding it isn't as good as it's reputation. (not sure where the good rep has come from)

It misses a lot of viruses. I recommend going with something better.
  10. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just trying to find something to help you from the net Hos....

I just usually use rkill and run malewarebytes....but symantec should have a tool to remove it...might be this one...

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2003-081119-5051-99

or

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/WBlasterWorm-Removal-Tool.shtml

or

Try Fixblast..

http://www.spychecker.com/program/fixblast.html

To remove W32/Blaster-A manually on Windows 95/98/Me and Windows NT/2000/XP:

ensure you have installed Microsoft patch MS03-039 and implemented as many of the steps mentioned above as is feasible.
    press Ctrl+Alt+Del
    in Windows NT/2000/XP click Task Manager and select the Processes tab
    look for a process named msblast.exe in the list
    click the process to highlight it
    click the 'End Process' (in Windows 95/98/Me 'End Task') button
    close Task Manager.
    Search for the file msblast.exe in the Windows system folder (usually a subfolder of Windows or WINNT) and delete it.

In Windows NT/2000/XP you will also need to edit the following registry entry. The removal of this entry is optional in Windows 95/98/Me. Please read the warning about editing the registry.

At the taskbar, click Start|Run. Type 'Regedit' and press Return. The registry editor opens.
    Before you edit the registry, you should make a backup. If in doubt, contact your network administrator. Incorrect editing of the Windows Registry can cause system failure.
    Locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entry:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

in the righthand pane select

windows auto update = msblast.exe

and delete it if it exists.
    Close the registry editor.
    You should reboot your computer and repeat the above process to ensure all traces of the worm have been removed from your system.
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,297 Messages
    1,248 Likes Received
    Whoa you got Blaster? I thought that thing was dead forever ago. I remember business booming when I worked computer tech years and years ago when that thing was going around.

There should be instructions all over the place, it was a really huge problem for a lot of people around that time. Hope you got rid of it.
  12. Hostile

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    Yeah, my daughter used a PC at her High School Library to work on a paper. She put a data traveler in the USB and brought this sucker home.

I have killed it 4 times now and it keeps coming back, which means I am not really killing it. Everything I have read says symantec is the way to do it and it is what keeps making it stop, but only temporarily so far.

I just ran Symantic and Malwarebytes in safe mode. I also just ran a disk cleanup and am now running a disk defrag. When that is done I am going to run a check disk.

The firewall is turned on.

Windows updates is turned on.

I can't imagine how this sucker keeps coming back.
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,297 Messages
    1,248 Likes Received
    There may be an updated version of it, when we were dealing with it, there was a program that did all the work for you and you just had to restart.

I think it was the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, try searching for that perhaps?

Could be that they've updated the worm since then and the old tools won't work, but it's worth a shot. We didn't use anti-virus software to try and remove it once infected, that's for sure, usually caused more problems than it solved.
  14. DallasEast

28,435 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    All I know is that about a year ago, I waited three weeks for Avast! to locate and remove an obvious virus on my computer. It had done an excellent job for me up to the point for about three years. I downloaded MSE, deleted Avast! ran MSE, found the culprit on the first scan and have been using MSE ever since.
  15. Sam I Am

31,345 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    I wasn't advocating Avast. :)
  16. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,339 Messages
    4,665 Likes Received
    Hard for me to say this, but I have also found MSE to do a pretty decent job for a free program.

It has found things that Symantec, avast and even malware bytes have missed.

Is it the be all end all? Of course not, but it has done a decent job IMO. Esp for a freebie program.
  17. Hostile

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    I have now tried everything mentioned in this thread.

None of it has worked.
  18. DallasEast

28,435 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    Do you have a shotgun? SHOOT IT!!!

Just kidding. A radical solution would be to reformat the computer back to its factory specs. It's not a 100% guarantee that the worm will be erased from the computer's hard drive though.

Do you have the operating disks which came with the computer? I would not advise doing a reformat unless it was a last resort, but ...
  19. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,670 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Defragging won't remove a virus. What usually works for me is installing avast antivirus and scheduling a boot time scan so that the virus can't activate when windows starts up.
  20. Sam I Am

31,345 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Formatting and reinstalling Windows should do it.