1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Waiters annoy me...

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by TheKey, Jun 11, 2008.

1. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,672 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I am a waiter, but I notice some things that other waiters do that get on my nerves. What do waiters do that annoy you?

1. I know it cant be helped, but I dont like it when waiters walk up in the middle of a conversation, causing the table to stop talking.
    2. Obviously, never coming to the table.
    3. Coming to the table too much.
  2. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,297 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    I was a waiter once as well. We should start a separate thread about what customers do that is annoying....

To answer your question, I don't like excessively chatty waiters, and I especially don't like it when the waiter kneels down beside the table. (although I did read a study once suggesting that waiters who do this get larger tips on average, so maybe I'm in the minority on that one.)
  3. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

27,612 Messages
    2,194 Likes Received

1 & 3 - I handle silently with a thumbs up... they usually get the picture.
    2 - I will get another waiter to find my waiter or see the host/hostess.

If they play around too much with 2... I leave very little tip. Sorry, you are not "entitled" to a good tip... gotta earn it or atleast fake it.

Good waiters/waitresses get 50% to 100% more tip than standard. It is understood that they ARE appreciated.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Persona Non Grata Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,698 Likes Received
    I drink a lot of water. I hate it when my glass is empty for more than 5 minutes.

Other than that, not much they do bothers me.
  5. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If I never have to ask for a refill, you will get a nice tip. I love when that happens.
  6. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,672 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I can see that, it just makes it more personal. I'll have to test the theory and let you know.

As for customers, my number one complaint is when they yell at you when the order was cooked wrong, like you made it.
  7. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,296 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    Honestly, not to much bothers me other than than the obvious ones.

Just keep my glass full and don't take to long to take the order. And anything bad that happens is usually out of their hands.
  8. DallasFanSince86

DallasFanSince86 Pessimism Sucks

2,056 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There are only two ways that I can come up with that waiters annoy me if I have to wait for a refill of my drink for a long time and/or I can see the waiter standing around talking to buddies and not worried about waiting tables.
  9. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,350 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    My biggest pet peeve is when a waiter doesn't think he/she "needs to" write down the order because they're so good they can remember it all... and then they end up screwing something up or forgetting something.

Listen, no one is impressed that you can remember the whole order by memory... and no one thinks less of you if you have to write the order down to make sure you get it all right.

I'm not exactly Meg Ryan from "When Harry Met Sally" -- but I do almost always have a special request or two for my order, and it burns me up when the waiter doesn't write any of it down and then ends up forgetting something.

For those in the profession... do restaurants encourage waiters to learn to do it by memory, or is this just something that many do on their own to try to look impressive? I honestly don't get why ANY waiter would pass on the opportunity to write the order down... and if I managed a restaurant I'd insist that the waiters do so.

What do you all think?
  10. Boom

Boom Just Dez It

929 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    1) Never coming to take the salad/appetizer/bread plates
    2) Coming to take said plates while I'm still eating from them
    3) When I ask for a sauce/condiment to use with my meal and they return when I'm almost completely finished with it.
    4) Waiting forever for the check

I also don't like impatient/idiotic managers. I was eating at an Outback Steakhouse and the wooden booth had a finishing nail exposed, which ripped my pants and scratched my leg when I sat down. I'm not one to make a big deal out of minor things such as that, so I let it go.

When the people at a table across the aisle had an issue with their meal, they called the manager and complained. Seeing the opportunity to notify the manager to the issue, I called him over and explained what happened. He replied snappily, "Oh, so you want a free meal too, eh?". I replied "No sir. I just figured you didn't want customers tearing their flesh before a meal."
  11. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The refill thing is huge for me.

I absolutely hate running out of water/tea. I'm not as patient as Hos. Five minutes is way too long.

And when they refill it, I want them to bring a pitcher and fill it up at the table. Don't walk away with my glass.

Like Mavs Man, if they keep my glass filled, they'll get a good tip.

The only other thing I hate is when they try to take my plate before I'm finished. It's ok to ask if I'm finished, but don't reach for my plate and make me have to physically stop you.
  12. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I agree. All I can figure is that they're trying to impress.

Impress me by getting it right.
  13. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,297 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    OK refills is one that I left out, but I too tip based largely on that. I drink a lot of Coke/Iced Tea, and I hate an empty glass.

In relation to that point, I am this --> <-- close to creating a website to 'out' those restaurants who feel it unnecessary to provide the service of free refills. Nothing irks me more, and nothing is more likely to cause me to end my relationship with an establishment than a no refill policy.

I don't mind the not writing it down part. My experience has been that the non-writers seem to make mistakes with the same frequency of writers.
  14. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,845 Messages
    2,590 Likes Received
    * Asking if I want a refill when my glass is completely empty. Just fill the damn thing up. Better yet, don't let the glass get empty in the first place.

* Taking forever to bring the check. Perhaps they think some people like to just sit and chat for 30 minutes after their meal is done. Perhaps they're even correct, but at least give people the option of paying and leaving immediately.

* Trying to "sell" dessert. I know I look like I love dessert. :) But I don't care to hear your sales pitch.
  15. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,638 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    The one thing that really ticks me off is when they sweep mop, or vacuum next to my table or under my feet when I'm eating. :mad:

Another thing that is annoying is when I have crappy wait person and I try to take control of the situation and someone with me at the table insists I be more patient.
  16. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A certain gentleman with 30,000+ posts might not appreciate this thread.
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

55,260 Messages
    7,899 Likes Received
    One thing I don't think I've seen mentioned yet is when someone who gets a table after us and gets their order taken before us. That happened just last Saturday and I thought my wife was going to rip this poor waiter's eyebrows off. Lucky for him we got our food first.
  18. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,350 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    That's strange... Bob has "pimp" listed as his official occupation. :laugh2:
  19. Sandyf

Sandyf Active Member

602 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Waiter ignoring you when they know you want something like more coffee or water, just plain rude.

By the way Starkist, that is one helluva beautiful sig!!!
  20. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I don't know if this is a Memphis thing but it drives me crazy when the only times they ask you a question is right after taking a bite of food.

I just give them a thumbs up.