1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Want to offshore fish in S FL

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by jobberone, Sep 11, 2012.

1. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,022 Messages
    2,573 Likes Received
    Where's the best place to live. Don't speak Spanish. Don't want to live in too big a city nor spend too much for a home. Just me and the Mrs but expect kids on occasion. Keys not off limits. Love to sail, too.
  2. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,352 Messages
    1,334 Likes Received
    Depends if ya scuba dive or not. Keys are not a bad choice but expect a lot of tourists year round. I prefer Destin/Panama City area. Great fishing off the coast there and some wrecks you can dive at. Quite a few local seafood restaurants to dine at and the nightlife is good, but not over the top. During March, I suggest you vacation somewhere else though :)
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,573 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    West Palm Beach and the surrounding smaller towns are ok. Might look at Sarasota too.
  4. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,716 Messages
    1,153 Likes Received
    Ive lived in West Palm Beach for 14 years. It has grown considerably and become more city like IMO.

Anywhere from WPB south to Miami is just one big sprawl. If you dont want Spanish then another area would be better. In Palm Beach County its like 20% of homes have Spanish for the language spoken. Broward County its like 40-46%, and dade County its around 60% or maybe even higher. Just read the stats a couple weeks ago.

The west coast of Florida is different although it is being built up as well. Things are slower and more laid back in a sense. Less $$$$ to live generally. You will find much more white middle class. More of a midwest type people generally. East coast is people from the northeast - NYers, Nj, some Philly, etc.

East side is where the money is. If you want to work or have a biz there is more money here. If you want the east side, Jupiter up to Port St. Lucie gives you some of the South Florida style but not the congestion. Hobe Sound is a quiet kinda lil town feel. Its right at the north end of Jupiter Island.

Any specific questions feel free to send me a pm.
  5. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd suggest ANYTHING BUT the Panama City area....west of there, particularly along 30a is HiGHLY desirable, but anything near Panama City is garbage.

If fishing is a big factor, I'd head further south. The redneck riviera has ok fishing, but it is somewhat limited, and you have to go 40+ miles offshore before you start getting the best that area has to offer. If you're ok with Redfish, Snapper, Cobia, etc...then that area is pretty great.

The best tarpon fishing on the west coast of Florida is going to be found far south of there...closer to the Tampa area.

IMO, you have a lot more options on the east coast of Florida.... At least for fishing.
  6. WPBCowboysFan

4,716 Messages
    1,153 Likes Received
    Forgot:

The gulfstream is here on the east side and WPB is good for that. There is a reason that Dale Earnhardt built a house here so he could fish.

You would also be very close to the Bahamas where people like to go fish.

If you want to live in Florida a big concern now is homeowners insurance. The policies have gotten crazy expensive because of the windstorm coverage. Insurance is a mess. Insurance companies have used this as an excuse to gouge. It is the main reason I would consider moving to another state. People are really held hostage by the insurance situation. It is one of the problems with the housing market here. Unless you are wealthy its something to consider.
  7. WPBCowboysFan

4,716 Messages
    1,153 Likes Received
    Im not big on fishing. I like it, just dont go often.

I used to go grouper fishing in Ft.Myers every once in a while and we would go out about 35 miles in the Gulf. Thats Gulf fishing in large part. Here in WPB the gulfstream is a couple miles offshore.
  8. tomson75

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Good point. My homeowners insurance for my condo is roughly a third the cost of my mortgage. They also constantly change policies...it seems like I'm getting a letter every other month about some "erosion" policy that I'd don't have or somethingorother.
  9. tomson75

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah...it's a big factor. Fuel prices can drive a fishing trip in the Gulf much higher than the average fishing enthusiast can afford.
  10. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    If I move back to Florida, it will be Pensacola for me. Same beaches/fishing/sailing/skiing/fishing as Destin, but half the tourists. Great water combination... inter-coastal area for sailing, skiing, grass flats fishing (trout, redfish); sugar white gulf coast beaches; nice shelf for bottom fishing (snapper, grouper); and accessible offshore fishing (marlin, sailfish, wahoo, tuna, mahi-mahi). Annual events like the Blue Angels, Pensacola Seafood Festival, Deluna Festival (small scale Mardi Gras type of celebration), etc.
  11. WPBCowboysFan

4,716 Messages
    1,153 Likes Received
    The insurance and non homesteaded property tax rates drove me out of owning rental property. It really is out of control.

For condos the insurance is always changing. The condos will get an intro rate and then "wham" the jack-up hits. Change policies and its the same thing all over again.

I have seriously considered moving out of the state because of the insurance situation.
  12. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    You my friend are a very lucky man. I love Siesta Key, just out side of Sarasota. Go every year with the wife. I would have already relocated, but my business is one that can't be moved. Gulf side is the way to go.
  13. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,588 Messages
    604 Likes Received
    Check out Jupiter or Naples.

YR
  14. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,352 Messages
    1,334 Likes Received
    I second this, right behind Destin. All three of these places are not cheap, but well worth it.

Doesn't Tiger have like a 2nd or 3rd home in Jupiter?
  15. WPBCowboysFan

4,716 Messages
    1,153 Likes Received
    Tiger is on Jupiter Island.
  16. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,588 Messages
    604 Likes Received
    His main home is in Jupiter. It has a 6-hole golf course and his own beach. It's the new hotspot for PGA Tour players to move to now because there's a few really good, ultra-private clubs now and there's more space so they can build some mega-mansion.

Jupiter isn't too bad, cost of living wise. Naples is fairly exorbitant. I almost got a job there and my pay would have been noticeably higher just due to the cost of living increase.

The OP wanted offshore fishing, but the great thing about Florida is that there are almost countless places to fish, although they are not offshore. There are lakes everywhere along with very large ponds. He may also like something such as Vero Beach or Melbourne areas. Not exactly South FLA, but cheaper costs of living, plenty of great weather and more jobs.

YR
  17. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,655 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Sanibel/Captiva is very nice but very pricey.

We go there every year and love the place.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,022 Messages
    2,573 Likes Received
    Thanks everyone keep it coming!
  19. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,317 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    I go to the Keys a lot. There are not as many tourists during the summer so that is a good time to go if you want to avoid the crowds. April and early May are great months to go for me, but I mostly Spear Fish.

May 1 starts grouper season and there are some big fish brought in that first week.
    Great Flats fishing in May as well. Tons of juvenille tarpon if you want a serious fight but don't care to keep the fish.
    End of July is mini season for Lobster. That is a madhouse and I always avoid it.
    Still plenty of Lobster in August if you know where to go or have a guide that does.
    We usually see dolphin one out of every four times we go out. They are always fun for the kids.
    If you want to see some awesome sights thenhead to the Gulf to Dive or Snorkle. The water is usually much calmer on that side and clearer.
    November through early April is tourist season. Avoid
  20. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

1,711 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    I live in between Fort Myers and Naples in a little town called Bonita Springs. It's a small city, but close enough to Naples and Ft. Myers that you're not far from anything you need. I live a mile from the beach. It's fairly expensive - a 2br/2ba condo can cost you anywhere from 250k - 2m. The best part about this city is it's a snowbird town - busy and bustling between Thanksgiving and Easter, and slow and quiet, almost barren, during the summer. If you have any questions about the area, feel free to PM me. I can tell you anything you need to know.