1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

WaPo columnist: Racist Redsk*n Name Leads to bad Karma

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Danny White, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    What’s in a name? The Redskins’ bad karma

By Courtland Milloy, Published: January 8

So, Washington football fans, how’s that offensive team name and demeaning sports mascot working out? Whooping and hollering as RGIII goes on a “Redskins” warpath only to leave a trail of tears when his wounded knee gets buried at FedEx Field.

In this obscene home team sports fantasy, the gifted Robert Griffin III was reduced to a “noble savage.” Let the “Redskin” play hurt. He can take it. Hail to the young brave-hearted quarterback as he limps into battle on that injured knee. Three cheers as he fights on his one good leg for Old D.C.

And when he’s felled during Sunday’s playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks, bringing the postseason to an ugly and immensely unsatisfying end — torn ligaments no doubt shortening his own career as well — Washington gasps in horror.

Bad karma, I tell you, that team name.

Read more here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...9da-11e2-88d0-c4cf65c3ad15_story.html?hpid=z2

It's about time someone brought up the obvious connection here. :p:

[IMG]
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,973 Likes Received
    The Wounded Knee reference was rather clever.
  3. ragintd

ragintd Member

61 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG][/quote]

This is what most native american's do when someone tries to speak for them on this issue.

Pretty funny considering that the vast majority of them don't see an issue here. Love the PC world.

Why don't they target true perpetrators of racism such as the Rev. Al Sharpton?

Oh wait, they don't want to be called cornball brothers or whatever Rob Parker tried calling RG3.

Start with the ones that actually sprout hate under the cover or politics, music, television, and comedy that actually gives power to their beliefs and reaches people easily influenced rather then a silly team name/mascot.

Just saying.
  4. Hostile

119,053 Messages
    2,973 Likes Received
    I think a lot of Native Americans don't care for the word, and I don't blame them one bit. My step father was a full blooded Apache. I dare anyone to call him that name.

If you wouldn't walk up to a group of Native Americans strangers and call them that name, then the name shouldn't be used.
  5. ragintd

ragintd Member

61 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Does the name bother or upset your father as the name of a team Hos?
  6. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    The negativity behind the word is such an exaggeration.

As one of the 1% of Native Americans in this Country...very few...I mean very few, are ever offended by the team name. (And I have Aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, sisters, a brother, grandparents, etc.)
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,814 Messages
    1,676 Likes Received
    Always was an issue with those that hunt for stupid issues to whine about
  8. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,211 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    I think Karma is just as real as "momentum" and lots of idiotic decisions get made because of that stupid idea, doesn't surprise me that someone would make this connection eventually.

As for the name, I think they probably shouldn't have a rational epithet as their name, but it's not exactly a high priority problem facing the country. If we ever get to the point where the name of the football team in Washington is the biggest obstacle American Indians face, then people can get all wound up about it.
  9. Hostile

119,053 Messages
    2,973 Likes Received
    Step Father. Yes, only team he hated.

Raiders fan btw.
  10. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,211 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Should be racial, :laugh2:, though a rational epithet might be interesting...
  11. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,807 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    it would be one thing if they were the name of a tribe like apache, comanche, cherokee, or something. The Chiefs, Braves, and Indians get a pass cause those names are not offensive at all.

Those of you defending the name Redskins, probably wouldn't care if there was a name for racist terms for black people, italians, irish, jews, asians, latinos, or whites. Honestly, a racist term is a racist term. I have no issue with racist terms per say.....I find them foolish, but when used in jokes, can be quite funny.

Still, HS and college did a mass cleansing of native american names and mascots. It is about time the most derogatory name of all be rectified......but then again, I don't expect Skins fans to agree.....or even care....your pathetic team has a history of being the most racist franchise in the history of the NFL....the irony of it all is, the same team that completely shunned black players and coaches, is the only franchise to have a black QB win the SB. I bet when Williams grabbed the Lombardi, Marshall rolled over in his grave.
  12. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    There is another story on yahoo's main page about the Mayor of DC saying if the skins ever want to move back to DC they will need to change the name as it's too controversial.
  13. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think they should re-name them the "Hogs" -- also a part of their tradition, and an homage to what Washington is known best for... Pork.
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I don't see the term redskin as an insult. Sorry, I just see it. I am not offended when I am called white man or white boy. I could understand if the term had a negative meaning. There are too many people looking for ways to be offended these days.
  15. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/msn/dc_mayor_wants_the_redskins_name_change_discussed/12617422

Currently, the team plays its home games in Landover, Md., and its headquarters are in Ashburn, Va. If the team is to consider a move back into DC’s city limits, the mayor of DC, Vincent C. Gray, wants a nickname change to be discussed.

“I think that if they get serious with the team coming back to Washington, there’s no doubt there’s going to have to be a discussion about that,” Mayor Gray said after a news conference, “and of course the team is going to have to work with us around that issue.”
  16. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,046 Messages
    792 Likes Received
    red·skin (r[IMG]d[IMG]sk[IMG]n[IMG])n.

Offensive Slang

Used as a disparaging term for a Native American.
  17. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,940 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Favorite snack of Redskin fans... Racist Peanuts... ;)

[IMG]
  18. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,173 Messages
    1,377 Likes Received
    It's always interesting to observe people who are clueless about racism and prejudice...
  19. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,603 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    If one is going to let a racial slur being leveled at them get them to the point where they want to fight, then that person is more shallow and insecure than the one uttering it. I get a kick out of people who think that they look like a bad*** by daring one to call them a name.

Whatever.
  20. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,603 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    That said, although I hate the team and most of their ignoramus fans, I think the name should stay.