1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

War on Terror not about Religion?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by REDVOLUTION, Feb 6, 2008.

1. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,133 Messages
    1,151 Likes Received
    Actually the thread title is a little misleading in what I am looking for...

I am refering to the angle of Islam vs. the US and all infidels. THEIR ANGLE.... not ours.

I remember watching the news about a year ago where they were interviewing a person(it was either a citizen or in-the-know of one of the Islam states)that stated that the war has nothing to do with religion.

That the Extremists and others use it as a facade, a cover up because its really about money and power and ownership.

Anyone know where I can find any video or good links to stories along those lines? I want to show someone.

Thanks
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,033 Messages
    1,138 Likes Received
    I've always thought it was about a pan-Arab political struggle, with religion as the guise for gaining massive support among uneducated, poor Arabs. There should be a good amount of literature on the subject (it's not a new idea) -- I'll try and look some up later for you.
  3. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,133 Messages
    1,151 Likes Received

Thanks....

I see that you have seen "There Will Be Blood"

Great movie!!!
  4. theogt

44,033 Messages
    1,138 Likes Received
  5. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Whoever says the "War On Terror" is not about religion is either naieve or lying. Pick up a copy of the Qur'an and read it from cover to cover. Sadly, the terror blueprint is there for you in black and white.
  6. theogt

44,033 Messages
    1,138 Likes Received
    Those that think it's a purely religious motivation are the ones that are naive.
  7. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao2: How many troops do we have fighting the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka? or the "eco-terrorists" blocking whaling ships??? The U.S. War On Terror is all about fighting Jihad - not a secular principle, but an Islamic principle. It's called the "war on terror" and not the "war on Islam" because people are too politically correct and too apologetic to have a backbone.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,417 Messages
    3,745 Likes Received
    I think for the extremist it is about religious believed and that is who we are dealing with. There may be other factors involved but people do not strap bombs on themselves for nothing they do so because a very strong religious believe. I also see no way these groups could be negotiated with.
  9. theogt

44,033 Messages
    1,138 Likes Received
    I think you're missing the point. It's not that we're not fighting political terrorists in Sri Lank or "eco-terrorists." My point was that the "Islamic terrorirists" have a very political goal.
  10. Doomsday101

78,417 Messages
    3,745 Likes Received
    Yes and that political goal go hand in hand with their religious believe.
  11. theogt

44,033 Messages
    1,138 Likes Received
    The religious aspect is largely just a facade. It's a political struggle that is cloaked in religion. Most all religious battles have been about politics.
  12. Doomsday101

78,417 Messages
    3,745 Likes Received
    Their laws and lives are governed by their religious believes, I would think their political views also go hand in hand with that same religious believe. When I say that I'm not talking about most Muslim but the extremist groups yes what they do is heavily dictated by their religious believes.
  13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,524 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    And yet the vast majority of practicing Muslims who revere this so-called terrorist manual never resort to violence. Hm, maybe it's not the book after all.
  14. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    First off, there is no such thing as an "Islamic terrorist." A "True Believer" in Islam who fights "infidels" because the Qur'an permits it is politically labeled an "Islamic Extremist, Islamic Terrorist, or just Terrorist" by the West. According to the Qur'an, they are not terrorists by any means. They are simply following an instruction book to the letter. People who call themselves Muslims but do not adhere to the Qur'an by the letter are considered worse infidels in the eyes of Allah than you and I. This is why Muslims are blowing each other up before they blow us up. Their end game is to have either a Shiite or Sunni Caliphate running the entire World under Islamic Sharia law.

Again, this is not my opinion. It's all in the Qur'an. Please do not shoot the messenger if you don't like the message, but please don't water down or deny what's going on if you've never read the Qur'an before.
  15. theogt

44,033 Messages
    1,138 Likes Received
    EXXXXXXXXXXXAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCTTTTTTTTLYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Doomsday101

78,417 Messages
    3,745 Likes Received
    Depends on how one reads the Koran. You are right not all Muslims are terrorist. I guess in a way you could compare the interpretation of the Koran as Christians do the bible, there are many things Christians will agree on but other things we don't which is why you see the different denomination
  17. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's religion though, that's not secular politics. I have no intention of having my wife or daughters wear a friggin burka because some religious document insists it. With all do respect, the author of that book you linked us to is just focusing on one aspect of Jihad (suicide missions), making it easier for the author to demagogue the issue to suit his purpose. Secular groups are so much easier to deal with than religious groups, because for the most part you can negotiate with secularists. Personally, I think our FAA should require small pot bellied pigs to be flown on every single domestic aircraft. Then we would be able to do away with most security checkpoints at airports.
    :)
  18. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,252 Messages
    2,453 Likes Received
    In my opinion, Islam is just the rallying point, hiding what is normally the real issue in these cases--greed.

There isn't a single ideology that hasn't been used to justify violence at some point in time: Islam has been used to cover terrorism. People have tried to justify ethnic cleansing using Christianity. Joe Stalin used science and atheism to drive a reign in which 60 million people were killed.

We Americans aren't immune to this tactic either. For instance, Tim Russert was interviewing Christopher Hitchens, who was campaigning for Bush's relection in 2004. Through a noted leftist, Hitchens supported the Iraq war, calling it a conflict between the forces of enlightenment and science and the forces of religion and darkness (or something to that effect).

Hitchens was trying to drum up support for the war using grand, secular ideals. Of course, many Americans support the Iraq war on religious grounds as well.

Any ideology can be used to justify war.
  19. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Christians, Catholics and Jews adhered to the Old and New Testiments to the letter (like true believers adhere to the Qur'an), you'd see an outpouring of violence all over the world like we've never seen before in mankind. Take a read at this link from the New Testament and imagine millions of Americans living their lives and adhering to these words by the letter: (remember...the key is "by the letter")

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/nt.html
  20. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They are not considered true Muslims in the eyes of the Qur'an and will be killed before you and I by the true believers.