1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Ware Places Responsibility On Players Execution

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,410 Messages
    1,444 Likes Received
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,133 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    well lets be honest. Ware never came out and trashed Wade either.
  3. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,184 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    The difference between the Cowboys and the Saints or Packers is execution. Those teams execute their offense like a well oiled machine. Every player carries out their assignments and the plays work as designed. Our team is every bit as talented offensively as theirs.

Their defenses are every bit as bad as ours, but because they score early and often, they make the other teams one dimensional, and they create a ton of turnovers. Our defense folds like a lawn chair and gets very few turnovers.

It is the HC's job to get his team to execute.....it is after all the 14th week of the season.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,501 Messages
    2,024 Likes Received
    Plus he said, "I think he's the best coach in the league because he's my coach, he's the Cowboys coach."
  5. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Players need to be accountable and Coaches need to coach better .....that is the solution to execution.

When Norv ran the offense here and Jimmy was coach....we didnt see mass confusion.

We see it still on offense where Romo basically has to tell everyone where to line up and we still see it on defense where players are running around with their hands up in the air.

Players need to learn the playbook and Coaches need to make sure it happens.

Imho I havent seen that

I love Bryant and all but man oh man.....a highschool kid could at least know how to run more then 3 routes.
  6. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Active Member

7,599 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Good post and good points, but lets be real, NFL routes are different than high school routes. Not to mention way more options to read in the defense.

Dez needs to pick it up though.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,410 Messages
    1,444 Likes Received
    Sir, yes sir.
  8. burmafrd

41,133 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    With all this talk about execution I just cannot help remember John McKay's classic line on that.

REPORTER: What do you think of your teams execution tonight?

COACH MCKAY: I AM ALL FOR IT.
  9. mgcowboy

mgcowboy Active Member

1,070 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    It's irritating to me really listening to players being "politically correct" stuff...

I want someone to talk smack..call out the defense...challenge them to get the job done and step up... come on man!!!!!!

What do you think Ray Lewis would say? gosh....

:cool:
  10. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

768 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    How about when Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys went 1-15? Was there mass confusion, then?

We gave JJ time. Why can't we give Garrett the time he needs to get 'the right players on the bus'? One's that will execute? Seems that he made a step in that direction in the off season. He will need at least 2 more off seasons to mold the unit his way...
  11. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    I think there are much larger issues than Dez and his route running. How about an entire secondary who seem to have no clue?
  12. burmafrd

41,133 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received

well the difference was that the 89 team was pretty sad 1-15. And that immediate improvement came the next year.

This team was a playoff contender last year until the team quit on Wade. We were losing games on really stupid mistakes that mostly had to do with lack of discipline and the like. Red Ball tried to change that right away and seemed to have success. But now we seem to be falling right back into the bad old habits.
  13. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,515 Messages
    547 Likes Received
    Hos not that I don't agree with your message but this is hardly vindication.

This is typical player to media answer. It's not like if they really thought it was Garrett or Rob or any of the other coaches that Ware would come out and trash them to the media.

I'm sorry but people using what a coach, or player, or owner tells someone in the media as some way of backing up their opinion on something just doesn't really do it in cases like this because the players simply aren't going to say anything else.

Now granted I happen to agree with you on this particular subject and I do believe that a large majority of the issue is execution on the players part but Ware saying it doesn't make me believe it more or feel that it some how validates that opinion because it quite simply doesn't.
  14. BraveHeartFan

22,515 Messages
    547 Likes Received

Way different situations.

Jimmy was taking over a team that was old, had no real talent on it, and had just gone 3-13 the year prior. There was absolutely zero expectations for that team.

Garrett has taken over a team that has some great talent in some key positions and had some high expectations on it due to the way they played so much better under him to finish out last season.

But I do agree he needs more than 1 full season as a coach and I'd like the guy to at least get a couple of full, regular, offseasons under his belt as HC to get the players he wants, to put his system in, and get his stuff going.

People who want to fire him after one year are not very smart football people. Firing coaches every year or every other year, like teams like the Raiders or Redskins or Browns would do is just stupid.
  15. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

768 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Then, it's the players - not the coaching
  16. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

768 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Completely disagree. This team is marginally better than it was in 1989. It has a few bright spots - but, so did the 1989 team (look it up). Overall - the players need to be overhauled. And, Garrett has started that.

Everyone needs to get off that bandwagon that says we have a talented team. We don't. We have some bright spots (Romo, Witten, Ware, Lee). But, then, so do the other 32 teams.

The fact is that under Garrett as OC, we have had the 3rd, 13th, 2nd, 7th and 6th best offense in the NFL (from 2007 to 2011). Not bad. 4 of 5 seasons in the top 10.

On Defense, we have had the 9th, 8th, 9th, 23rd, and 16th ranked D. From 23rd to 16th isn't bad in 1 season, particularly since the front office essentially kept the entire 2010 defensive unit in tact. So, coaching has made a difference this year. But, it has a way to go.

Give him time...
  17. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,163 Messages
    1,794 Likes Received
    so wait a minute..

we have had a top 10 offense for years

and

a top 15 defense for years

BUT

the team is devoid of talent?

and the person who has been the OC and in com plete control of the offense for 5 years needs more time?

hmmm...

if i am not wrong that makes no sense what so ever
  18. BraveHeartFan

22,515 Messages
    547 Likes Received
    I don't need to 'look it up'. I was watching as it happened.

That team was not good.

At all.

They had guys who turned out to be bright spots (Aikman, Irvin, Moose, Bates, and a few others) but overall that team was not talented at all and outside of probably Aikman few of the guys who were bright spots many gave much of a chance to be actual bright spots.

In fact though that bright spot, in Aikman, didn't even win us the one game we won that year. His back up did.

You're remembering it more fondly now with the benefit of seeing the entire picture after it played out. In 1989 I assure you there weren't many people who were thinking "Gosh we got a lot of bright spots on this team."

I know the team currently is very frustrating but these are no where near the same situations.

But, again, I do agree with you that Garrett needs, and deserves, more than a single season.
  19. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,501 Messages
    2,024 Likes Received
    No offense, but it is absolutely preposterous to claim that this team is only marginally more talented than that 1989 team that went 1-15.

And I notice that you used yards for offensive rankings. By points, which are what matter, the ranks have been 2, 18, 14, 8, and 10.

Keep in mind that we were 4 in 2006 before Garrett got here, with Drew Bledsoe starting six or whatever games.
  20. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

768 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Really?

Every year for 10 years, we have been drinking the cool aide about the talent on this team.

Parcells was able to upgrade some. Now, in Garrett has upgraded - some. He needs time. Just like Parcells needed time.

And, we have a core of good talent. So, let's talk about ratings. Scale of 1 to 5:

OL - Maybe a 3 with the trend line up?
    QB - 5, with some concerns at backup?
    RB - 3, maybe 4 - great potential with injuries constantly holding us back?
    WR - 3, maybe 4 - again, great unrealized potential?
    TE - 5, with some concerns at 2nd and 3rd level?

DL - 2, can't rush or hold the line against grey haired grandmothers (except Rat)
    LB - 3, 1 great, 1 potential great, 1 average, 1 poor, average bench
    DB - 2
    S - 3