1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Was Deion more dominant in Dallas, Atl or San Fran

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Wood, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,659 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    He was probably the most electric player I have ever watched. It felt like me was most dominant in San Fran. He had perfected his craft at CB and still had world-class speed. In Atl, I think he will still discovering himself. In Dallas his reputation was so strong that QB basically just stayed away and it looked like he was loosing little of his top end speed. Thoughts?
    jobberone likes this.
  2. AmericasTeam81

AmericasTeam81 Active Member

459 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    His 94 season with San Fran was amazing. I believe he had 6 nits with 3 returned for a td. His reputation definitely preceded him to dallas but I remember seeing him not get any action during games at cornerback because qbs were scared to throw at him. Ultimate man to man corner. His return game was something special too
  3. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

414 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Deion was absolutely amazing to watch. I can't remember him ever being outright burned. The only receivers I ever saw get him off his game was Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin. That's saying something. He could return punts...and kickoffs if you needed him to do so. Against Pittsburgh in the Superbowl he even played receiver. HOF in my mind before the NFL made it official.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,130 Messages
    5,432 Likes Received
    He didn't lose any speed until the toe injury.

I would say that Irvin played as well against him as anyone because Irvin's game was not based on speed.
    BigStar likes this.
  5. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,613 Messages
    1,435 Likes Received
    His best season was with SF. IMO he was the missing piece to the puzzle to get over the hump.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,020 Messages
    5,048 Likes Received
    Other than everytime he faced The Playmaker (who routinely roasted him) I agree.
    5Stars likes this.
  7. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,720 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    A "true" cover corner. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
  8. big dog cowboy

51,020 Messages
    5,048 Likes Received
    He was a true cover corner until he lost a step. The problem I have is Deion was always a 'me first' guy. Those aren't the type of players your build a team around or wreck your salary cap for.
    5Stars likes this.
  9. Next Years Champ

Next Years Champ Active Member

504 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Dallas version of Primetime.

It wasn't until he came to Big D and he became a Triple Threat.

Legit one.

CB/KR/WR

..was quite a set of initials after you name if you ask me..
    tyke1doe likes this.
  10. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,210 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    That's what I was about to say. He played a playoff game at wide receiver and did pretty well, for Pete's sake. I still say he's the best athlete ever in the NFL. Bo would be close, but Bo don't know kick returns.
  11. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,474 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    The fact that the Falcons honor him in their ring of honor or whatever their equivalent is, is baffling to me. He spent the best years of his career in SF and Dallas.

Makes me wonder if they will also put Brett Favre up there lol
    BigStar likes this.
  12. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,118 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Well he won DPOY while playing in SF... He was awesome that year, not saying he wasn't great elsewhere but he elevated that defense to elite.
  13. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,805 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    Highly debatable. I don't think anyone would question that the SF year was his best. When you get past that, though... he had more interceptions in Atlanta than any other stop. While he was a good punt returner in all 3 stops, he was a devastating, and I mean devastating kickoff returner in Atlanta (he all but stopped returning kickoffs after leaving for SF). He even had 2 of his 3 career receiving TDs in Atlanta.
    Now, he was probably at the peak of his powers in Dallas, but he didn't really do anything... nobody would throw at him and his receiving shenanigans really only lasted that one season. In summary, I think there is plenty for the Falcons to recognize him for.
  14. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,478 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    When did Irvin outplay Sanders ?
  15. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,474 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Deions best year as a CB was in SFran. His best punt returning days were in Dallas. He played way more years away from ATL than he did in Atlanta. I don't think a guy like him should be honored by any team. He was a mercenary.
  16. Super_Kazuya

1,805 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    I actually feel pretty much the same way about Deion (mercenary), but that doesn't really invalidate what I said. He also made 3 straight 1st team All-Pros in Atlanta, which is an extremely rare thing in NFL history. Even if he had just flat out retired after 1993, he still had a great career in Atlanta alone.
    Muhast likes this.
  17. Super_Kazuya

1,805 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    Strangely enough we played those guys like 5 years in a row when Deion was in Atlanta and Mike played pretty well when Laufenberg or Kosar wasn't throwing ducks at no one in particular.
    khiladi likes this.
  18. big dog cowboy

51,020 Messages
    5,048 Likes Received
    When didn't he?
    Irvin88_4life likes this.
  19. TwentyOne

2,478 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    Are you able to give answers or do you excel in writing empty phrases ?
    Redball Express likes this.
  20. TwentyOne

2,478 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    We played them in all of those 5 years. Statistically Irvin had 2 really good games, 1 that was ok and 2 bad ones.
    Here are his stats:

YEAR REC YDS TD
    1993 1 5 0
    1992 6 89 0
    1991 10 169 1
    1990 1 16 0
    1989 5 115 1

That of course does not say anything about who really covered Irvin in those games. I could not find any play-by-play statistics.

There also is this rumor that Irvin toasted Sanders in the 1994 NFC Championship game which is nonsense. Most of his RECYDS came against the other CB who covered Irvin most of the time in that game.

Any other games i forgot about ?
    DFWJC likes this.