1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Was Marinelli always the target?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

27,996 Messages
    8,167 Likes Received
    With the time you have spent getting upset at me doubting your claim, you could have already found the evidence for your assertion.
  2. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

26,419 Messages
    1,507 Likes Received
    Doubt a claim fine.

Don't say I made it up.

You know the difference and are simply trying to be a jerk
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

33,181 Messages
    2,627 Likes Received
    Essentially hiring Kiffin just for Rod but with no guarantee of Marinelli ever arriving.

Be an odd route.
    Common Sense likes this.
  4. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Village Idiot

5,059 Messages
    2,726 Likes Received
    If it's true, then Jerry has really lost it, especially since Rod was already available.
    Common Sense and BigStar like this.
  5. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,997 Messages
    1,509 Likes Received
    "I heard it on Talking Cowboys" - no bias to plant a story
  6. McLovin

3,997 Messages
    1,509 Likes Received
    Defies all logic, huh. 65 year old guy needs to be behind his one of two friends or mentors.
  7. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

5,238 Messages
    1,682 Likes Received
    I thought he was working for Chicago still and Trest wanted to retain him and he said no after Lovie had gotten the boot.

If Jerry did hire Kiff to get him Jerry is the ultimate salesman. It's like courting a girl, but you let the mom fall in love with you first and then you're in!
  8. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,785 Messages
    902 Likes Received
    Lacewell is the only person that I know who was involved in scouting Monte Kiffin at USC practices.

This whole Parcells idea is entirely new.

The other odd thing about this Parcells thing is, he was primarily a 34 guy. Their defenses are entirely different philosophies...just doesn't make sense
  9. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

3,766 Messages
    2,875 Likes Received
    You know I'm always going to give you random likes only because of your constantly reminding me of how hot Mya is.
    That woman could have launched a thousand ships...
    Frozen700 likes this.
  10. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

3,766 Messages
    2,875 Likes Received
    Yup. I remember the article clearly and immediately had misgivings.
    Lacewell is almost a dirty word around here and I can understand why, but I ask: did this guy have some great reputation before Jerry began leaning on him? Who was this guy?
  11. AbeBeta

26,419 Messages
    1,507 Likes Received
    So again what I recall is Jerry mentioning that when they saw Kiffin at the Senior Bowl the year we drafted Ware that Bill said to him something like "now that guy is great coach." Again I recall Jerry mentioning this at a press conference - either one I listened to or read a transcript of.

That in no way means that was the only factor in his hiring.

Parcels being a 3-4 guy is not relevant. Being a 3-4 guy doesn't mean you think all 4-3 guys are idiots. Further, I never said he told Jerry to hire him or suggested he'd be a good fit. Only that Bill may have planted a seed way back
  12. AbeBeta

26,419 Messages
    1,507 Likes Received
    And their info came from where? They don't have to be biased to latch onto spin they are fed
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

19,443 Messages
    9,926 Likes Received
    I believe it.

Sometimes a persons posting should give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Idgit and AbeBeta like this.
  14. McLovin

3,997 Messages
    1,509 Likes Received
    Its the basis for the motivation

I believe nothing Mickey says is impartial and not planted. So anything coming from the "organization" I would hope would be corroborated by an external source.

Likewise, I don't believe Crayton and Holly when they accuse Garrett of sabotaging Wade and changing the game plan the day after he was canned.
  15. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,608 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    It makes you wonder how the Saints overcame Ryan's organization and coaching to turn around and become a top defense last year.

:rolleyes:
    daveferr33 and Chocolate Lab like this.
  16. Donny Phoenix

Donny Phoenix Active Member

164 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Ive mentioned it here repeatedly, i believe they hired the architect(kiffin) to install the defense in year 1 and wanted the star pupil(marinelli) already on staff to promote him in year 2 to run it. I do think year 1 of the Tampa2 went a lot worse than anyone expected it would go.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

34,785 Messages
    11,234 Likes Received
    That much is true--the results were bad last season. Though I think injury played a lot into it.

I'm not sure what the plan was with the whole Kiffin/Marinelli thing in the first place. It was a weird move, either way. Either bringing in Kiffin and then replacing him, or bringing him in with the idea of phasing him out.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter all that much. I'm glad we're back in the 4-3, because I hated the 3-4 in Dallas. I do love what CHI does defensively, and like what SEA's doing. If we're copying that, I can get on board with it. Assuming, of course, we can get the players.
    Donny Phoenix likes this.
  18. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

18,391 Messages
    2,025 Likes Received
    Sometimes at those ages in coaching, the battery just goes into empty, He has a reduced role, and Rod Marrinelli is now seen barking and cursing on the field. That's just the nature of that beast.
  19. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,673 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    The plan was to bring in Kiffin. That plan backfired. Now there's a new DC. Simple as that.
    daveferr33 and Chocolate Lab like this.
  20. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

14,059 Messages
    1,616 Likes Received
    hahaha!!!!
    Corso likes this.