1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Was Ronald Reagan really that great?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by TruBlueCowboy, Apr 30, 2004.

1. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey, I loved the Reagan years. The man was a charismatic genius who made me feel proud to be an American, but sheesh, stop the naming already. Nancy Reagan just turned down a chance to name a University after him.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/04/30/reagan.university.ap/index.html

It seems like every year the Republicans are trying to name something major after Reagan. Give it a break already! He was probably the best "TV President" ever, he happened to be in office when nearly 50 years of Cold War containment finally broke the Russian's back, but he really didn't do anything to give him this Mount Rushmore distinction so many Republicans want to award him with. Of the contemporary Presidents, I thought Nixon had better foreign policy, LBJ had better domestic policy, and Clinton was just as charming on TV.
  2. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,648 Messages
    375 Likes Received
    At the time I didn't really appreciate him but looking back I do.

It's all relative I guess. The presidents keep getting worse and worse making him look better and better.
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Hate to disagree but when Reagan walked out of Reykyavic (sp?) he effectivley won the cold war single handedly. The russians knew he was serious and the beginning of the end was in sight. Also the star wars program scared the heck out of them as well. They also, knew we were much more advanced than they were and they broke. This was all Reagan. Can you imagin what groups like Al- Queda would have in an ally like Russia if the cold war had not been won? Does Reagan belong on Rushmore? That can be debated, but I do believe he is one of the greatest contemporary Presidents and I would say he is in the top 5 of all time.
  4. marsbennett

marsbennett Mars Man

1,068 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    IMO, the greatest, most caring President in the history of the US . I loved/love the man.
  5. CoachParcells

CoachParcells Benched

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    While every red-blooded American loves to worship Reagan, his foreign policy record shows that his victories didn't come without strings attached.

In particular, his authorization of CIA covert missions to send aid, weapons and military training to Osama Bin Laden's efforts to fight the Soviet Union and Saddam Hussein in our war against Iran show that while Reagan did have some successes, he also played a role in shaping today's war on terrorism.

Also, the Cold War victory came at a heavier price tag than most Reagan lovers want to let on. during the 1980s, Reagan went on a huge deficit spending binge to build up the U.S. defense and basically forced the Soviet Union into an arms race it couldn't possibly keep up with. After the inevitable collapse of the U.S.S.R., many of the weapons and raw materials in the former Soviet Union went on the black market and into the hands of terrorist organizations.

It would be nice to hear Reagan lovers tell the whole story for a change.
  6. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Again you people on the left make this too easy. If there is any kind of deficit spending I agree with it is for the military. After eight years of tearing it down we need more of it I would say. But as for Reagan, he won the cold war and that was what was needed at the time. Do you really think Reagan knew that the Weapons the soviets were making would end up in the hands of the bad guys? If you do you are as dumba s a sack full of nails.
  7. CoachParcells

CoachParcells Benched

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's obvious that Reagan wasn't fully prepared for that contingency, but he should have been. That's a serious foreign policy blunder . Now, now. There's no need to resort to name-calling.

Even though we spend more on national defense than the next 23 nations in the world combined, that isn't enough bombs for ya? You are like most Americans, who are willing to mortgage anything just for the illusion of security. Even the government knows it can't give a 100% guarantee of security, but they don't seem to mind playing off your fears about "brown" people dressed in robes with bombs strapped to their chest.

"Ooh, Ooh...make it go away. Here, here's a blank check. Just make it go away"

Stop being a crybaby sellout and develop a sense of healthy skepticism about ALL politicians and not just the ones who get blowjobs from interns.
  8. marsbennett

marsbennett Mars Man

1,068 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You're pathetic..
  9. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No Mars, you are pathetic, because you have no answer for a rational, articulated argument that goes against your beliefs.
  10. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Guaranteed, all the thugs who Bush and his cohorts are propping up now, like the guy in Uzbekistan and Musharraf, will be the next 'Saddam Husseins' in 10 years time.
  11. CoachParcells

CoachParcells Benched

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself.
  12. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You are the ignorant crybaby. It was the brown people dressed in robes that flew into our buildings on 9/11. It is the brown people that do this on a daily basis in Isreal. It's not all of them or even most of them. But is from that culture it is happening. You want to live in a fantasy world that was pre 9/11. You are still mad about the 2000 election in which Gore legitamatley lost. All of the recounts that took place under the watchful eye of the NY Times and other left wing media confirmed that Gore didn't have enough votes to win Fla. Get over it. Try supporting the country for once instead of tearing it down. When you guys get the hate out of your system then maybe you will be able to function like a normal person, but until then your posts prove you to be nothing more than an whiny, snivling little baby whgo is probably just barely old enough to oreder a drink in most states. Grow up and get an education about real life then come back. Then you may have something worthwhile to say.
  13. CoachParcells

CoachParcells Benched

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One more time. Who cares about Al Gore? Do you? I certainly don't.
  14. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Because this is the Genisis of most of your rage and hate against Bush. You know it's true and if it isn't you would be the first and only one I have met who doesn't have that feeling tucked away in his mind. IF not then answer this question. Do you think that Bush is a legitimate President? Your answer will go a long ways in exposing your true agenda.
  15. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

So are you admitting that jem88 is another of your multitude of "ghosts"?

For those not familiar, CP has a tendency to create new personas who agree with his points. It's the only way he can appear to have "friends".
  16. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received

Oh I am well aware of his tactics from another board....he probably does not know that I have seens his act at play.
  17. CoachParcells

CoachParcells Benched

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    All you need to do is check my IP address to see if I'm using another username. It's really a simple procedure.

Games? What games? Who me? I would never stoop to such levels!
  18. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received

I have multiple IPs...not that hard in this day and age really.
  19. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't keep up with other message boards and this is the first I've ever tried the political forum at the new and old board and even I thought that was someone he created to agree with himself. LOL This new poster only has 2 posts (he has 3 now) and he just happens to chime in on the seldom read politics forum in a Dallas Cowboys forum? Riiiiiight.
  20. CoachParcells

CoachParcells Benched

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Let the CP conspiracies begin. I'm very used to dealing with the pro-war camp and all of their hate.