1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Washington name change?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Tio, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Tio

Tio Armchair QB

5,116 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    There is a lot of talk on extremeskins about the skins getting their name changed. You always knew it was gonna comeup, with all the pansy liberals we got.
  2. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Agree, this is an old argument they have....they should leave the name alone...

David
  3. cowheel

cowheel New Member

517 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    pansy liberals?

I'm just gonna make one comment on this because I don't want to get in a big race thing.

But speaking as a black man... I know I'd be more than offended if there was a sports team out there with the name of "Alabama Black Faces".
  4. kidcrook

kidcrook Member

820 Messages
    3 Likes Received

Or New York N******. That slur is a lil more applicable. Liberal or not some stuff is just wrong regardless of how "used to it" you are...
  5. natedawg

natedawg New Member

23 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    pansy liberals? Their name is a derogatory racial slur. It's like calling them the washington crackers or washington darkies. It should be changed... but I doubt it will.
  6. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,908 Messages
    349 Likes Received
    Exactly... George Preston Marshall changed the name in 1932 to the Boston Redskins in honor of the team's head coach, William "Lone
    Star" Dietz, who was an American Indian...

Someone is again offended by something taken out of context...

Cowboys vs. Senators just won't have the same effect...
  7. Q_the_man

Q_the_man Active Member

2,337 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    but what does redskins mean?

than u have activist complaining about the Cowboys name, save the whale, bears, eagles, Chiefs. Why not just be Dallas with no nicknames :mad:

Just leave it alone
  8. Tio

Tio Armchair QB

5,116 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    The thing is, it isn't even native americans making the argument.
  9. natedawg

natedawg New Member

23 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In 1932 they were the Boston Braves and shared a stadium with the city's baseball team of the same name.... In 1933 they became the Boston Redskins when they relocated to Fenway Park. William "Lone Star" Dietz did become their head coach, but I somehow doubt the name change was in his honor, as it was his first year, and was changed from meaning a native american warrior to offensive slang for native american.
  10. trickblue

28,908 Messages
    349 Likes Received
    Actually he DID name it for Lone Star Ditz... check the history...
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    So if the Mavs changed their name to the Dallas wetbacks in HONOR of former Mav Najera that would make it alright?

MY high school was called the Apaches and changed their name to some other crap years after I left. I was agianst that because Apache is a tribe. Redskin is a slur.

What is deemed offensive does change over time.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    YES, it is.

Attend a Redskin game at Texas stadium some time.

The game is picketed by American Indians every year.
  13. Jack

Jack New Member

229 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Indians where I live would be upset if they changed the name.

Everybody has an opinion...
  14. trickblue

28,908 Messages
    349 Likes Received
    Not the same thing... my point is that it wasn't named to be a slur...

Quite frankly if you take most names in sports you could make the case for someone being offended...
  15. phdefense

phdefense New Member

315 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just to add to this
    Calling native americans "Indians" is an insult also
    Columbus at least had an excuse in that he just honestly did not know where he was. You do not
  16. RedLine

RedLine Member

848 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You know what, your right. Redskins just might be offensive to someone. We are a country completely wrapped up in political correctness and making sure we don’t offend anyone. But be careful, football is violet, and violence is offensive to a lot more people than the word “redskin”, so lets just do away with football. Sound crazy? Don’t be so sure.
  17. underdark

underdark Member

501 Messages
    2 Likes Received

That isn't true. Vine Deloria is one of the most known scholarly Native American authors. He devotes a chapter to it in God is Red. A friend of mine, born in DC is a Native American. He won't stop talking about how offensive he finds the name.

It is a shame when Americans who speak up for the dignity of a smaller group of Americans are branded "pansy liberals". Sounds more like integrity than weakness to me. It would be much easier for these folks to avoid the conflict and do something self-interested with their time. But that wouldn't be the American thing to do.
  18. Mike 1967

Mike 1967 New Member

2,771 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm very offended by the name New York Yankee's.

It needs to be changed.
  19. underdark

underdark Member

501 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    we'll name your team the Red Herrings.
  20. Jack

Jack New Member

229 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    PC is BS.

Everyone needs to get over it.