1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Washington name change?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Tio, Aug 24, 2004.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,910 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    So when American Indians call themselves American Indians they are insulting themselves? :confused:
  2. Jack

Jack New Member

229 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It is OK if they say it, but you can't.
  3. Mike 1967

Mike 1967 New Member

2,771 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm also offended by the name Cowboys

This needs to be changed.
  4. Mike 1967

Mike 1967 New Member

2,771 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kind of like Richard Pryor

He had a monopoly on a lot of the good material.
  5. RedLine

RedLine Member

848 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    My argument is not an attempt at diversion, as you are trying to suggest. It is an augment of analogy.

Only someone who does not understand anything about sports, or football would be offended by a team calling its self Redskins. When a football team seeks out a name, they are looking for something that will connect with the fans of that team, as well as something strong and powerful that can go forth and vanquish its enemies. I am not a Native American, but if I was, I would be proud to be associated with the Washington Redskins. I say that because I know when the Redskins take the field on Sunday, they are there as warriors, not as an insult to Native Americans.
  6. Skeptic

Skeptic New Member

851 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I had a buddy of mine (who's black) that made a similar observation.

I don't think many people would be happy out there if they were the "D.C. Darkies".

I tend to have P.C., but I have to say that it is extremely insensitive to be named the "Redskins" and it would be freaking high-larious for them to have to change their name.
  7. Tio

Tio Armchair QB

5,116 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Boston celtics offend me, change it please...
  8. Mike 1967

Mike 1967 New Member

2,771 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Celtics definitely has racist undertones.

We need to clean all this crap up with one fell swoop.
  9. Tenkamenin

Tenkamenin Well-Known Member

1,158 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    Does that make it right? I know black people that use the word ***** and if there was a team named "*****" they'd probably be giving each other high 5's saying "We finally got a team representing us". They're just ignorant....

It doesn't make it right....
  10. Mike 1967

Mike 1967 New Member

2,771 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would love to see a team come out with the name Rednecks.

Being a Redneck myself....I would take pride in having a team named after me....so long as it was not located in Philly or San Fran :D
  11. RedLine

RedLine Member

848 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Lets be a little "insensitive" and play some damn football!
  12. trickblue

28,910 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    But "darkie" has never been meant as anything but a slur... at least in my neck of the woods...

I can see both sides... but I think intent here is the key...

Should Christians be offended by the New Orleans Saints? Anaheim Angels? San Diego Padres? New Jersey Devils?

Who is next?
    The Chiefs? The Braves? The Indians? The Browns? (The Browns were named after boxer Joe Louis... the "Brown Bomber") Vikings? Warriors? Canucks? Senators? Texans? (they sure offend me) Raiders? Brewers?

It just never ends...
  13. Jack

Jack New Member

229 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So you are calling these Indians ignorant?
  14. Tio

Tio Armchair QB

5,116 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    So, if they aren't offended, its because they are ignorant?
  15. Jack

Jack New Member

229 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I am not offended, does that mean I am ignorant. Or maybe I am not ignorant because I am not an Indian. Or at least not an indian that is not offended.

See... PC sux.
  16. underdark

underdark Member

501 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Radford University had a mascot named the "Rowdy Redneck" up until the mid 90's I think. I can understand why many folks liked ole Rowdy. The name was just as funny as it was harmful. I grew up in the Applachain Mountains on a tobacco farm. I could shoot a penny off the woodpile from 200 feet at eight years old, but I wouldn't care for a team called the Rednecks.

I grew up with some brilliant people who sometimes lacked a formal education. It bothers me to see them classified as just a bunch of ignorant hicks. Furthermore, I don't think the stereotype does much for the image of the Appalachain region which hinders economic development and tourism efforts. BTW, I hated Deliverance too.
  17. trickblue

28,910 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    Sorry... I am VERY offended by anything named Rowdy... :D

[IMG]
  18. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,109 Messages
    4,436 Likes Received

I live in WV...and I hate many of the stereo-types as well...but to be honest I hate many of the people that keep those stereo types alive by acting just as they are described.

Sad but I hate the whole "R-Neck" mentality, it just sickens me.
  19. Jack

Jack New Member

229 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's funny...

I always thought you were a redneck who dropped acid and had the majority of his teeth. :D

Just Kidding.
  20. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,591 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    One of the best quotes on here was by a guy I RARELY see eye to eye with, Eric Boyer... "You don't have the right to not be offended" With almost 300 million people here in the US it is impossible to burp without offending someone... people need to go and find a cure for cancer or help out the homeless before they start worrying about the name of a freakin team for crying out loud... Jeez!!