1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Washington Redskins Picks

Discussion in 'Draft Day Zone' started by Hostile, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,598 Messages
    3,858 Likes Received
    And that responsibility rests in whose lap?

Why the team that doesn't take drafting seriously and thinks they can buy their way to wins.

I can offer plenty.

The Redskins should have attacked this draft as aggressively as they could.

But they didn't.

They reacted like cowards.

There is a Groupthink process going on with your team and you might not even notice it.

I fault Jerry Jones at times. And even he has not become overcome by hubris just yet.

What has Daniel Snyder learned as an owner?

What has the entire franchise learned?

The days of the "Over the Hill Gang" cannot be replicated with high price tags in free agents.

It is now the "Overpriced Gang" and instead of winning, they lose and continue a syndrome.

The same draft mentality exists now that exists in Gibbs' previous regime more than 20 years ago.

It was a fortunate time for your team. You had some home runs and were able to overcome a lot of bad trades. You also benefitted from mining the USFL.

Now, you are pathetic shells trying to pretend to play the same game.

The only way you will ever rebuild the Redskins is to draft better players. Not sit around and convince yourselves that marginal players are great and think that you can just hit with what handful of choices you do have.

And until your owner realizes it, you will spin your wheels.

Good luck with that pass rush.

I look forward to seeing Taylor making boneheaded penalties and Landry's tongue dragging the field because the QB has minutes to throw.

One pass rusher.

That's all you needed.

But like a poor marksman, you missed the target again.

And yet stand up and claim you did.

Pathetic.
  2. skinsngibbs4life

skinsngibbs4life Active Member

1,382 Messages
    0 Likes Received

its been said over, and over again, but I guess it must be said once more. Obviously Gregg Williams' defenses rely on blitzing to survive, its what he loves to do. What happens last year? half of our secondary goes down before a full game is done with, and we are depleted. How does this affect our pass rush? Obviously with second rate corners in there, they are going to have troubles even protecting short crossing routes. Of course if your secondary cant guard the short routes, the blitz is obviously going to be beaten every time.

By addressing the safety position, we sure up our secondary, and make it stronger. This allows GW to have more confidence in blitzing, and essentially go back to the schemes we ran the two prior years. We added players to our corner position (including a healthy springs), and adding a SS that can actually play, we actually have a secondary that can get the job done.

In most cases a teams success relies on the defensive line. But in Gregg Williams' scheme, it truly does rely on the secondary. Becuase without them, the whole scheme goes to crap.
  3. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,668 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    A coach said once, "If you need to blitz to provide pressure you already lost." Usually a good pass rush from the front seven will cover a secondaries deficiencies. A good secondary can help a mediocre pass rush a little but bad pass rush and so so secondary can cause all sorts of problems. I heard from many on the local media here in DC say they like the pick but wished the skins would have addressed the DL and the only problem they see is contract issues with ST and the fact Landry and Taylor are almost identical players.
  4. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I think what it boils down to is that the Skins' front office aint too bright. :eek::
  5. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I guess you didn't read my breakdown of the Redskins draft in this very thread. I even happen to mention that there was no logic in their decision.
  6. Americas_Team

Americas_Team New Member

224 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That’s one of the biggest understatements I've seen in any board. They need to find a football guy to run their front office.
  7. skinsngibbs4life

1,382 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    besides the fact that i what I stated was a result of what you posted (why the hell would I even think about anything involving drafting Peterson???), you kind of lost me in that post when you said that Taylor was a strong safety.

But regardless, back to your amazing post, I just don't understand why you would even try and make a case as to why we would draft peterson. We already have two elite runners, why make a trade for the sake of trading one of our players?

we get ridiculed constantly for letting our own players walk, yet, you want us to trade one of two players who are vital to this team?

You say that there is no logic in the redskins decision, I say, and showed, that there is no logic in ANYTHING that you said.
  8. Americas_Team

Americas_Team New Member

224 Messages
    0 Likes Received

We bash the skins because they give us great material… it’s like picking on a fat kid... It's harder to bash good teams like the eagles or the giants.
  9. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Because he is a strong safety. He is like Roy Williams. He plays better closer to the line of scrimage and gets burned in man coverage.
    I was responding to someone's post. I was not breaking down the Redskins picks in that post. Again, you didn't read what was going on, you just responded blindly. Anyhow, if you had to draft a player at a position you already had filled. Peterson was one of three elite players in the draft. Peterson would have been the player to take. Not Landry. Don't get me wrong, Landry is one of the best players in the draft, he just isn't one of the top three elite players. (Peterson, Thomas, and Johnson) Therefore Landry carries less value. In logical terms: (Peterson > Landry) :p:

You are making the Redskins fanbase look just like the Redskin management. :rolleyes:
  10. skinsngibbs4life

1,382 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    how is drafting landry already adding to an already filled position?

Once again, Sean Taylor is NOT a Strong safety, he plays Free Safety for us. Do you really considering Vernon fox, A pierson Prieolou coming off a major injury, or Omar Stoutmire viable starters?

You keep saying that we drafted Landry to a position we already we set at (while in fact, it was our second biggest hole) to justify your claim about the whole peterson thing. Im trying to get it through your thick skull that we were not set at Strong Safety, it is actually a position of need for us.

Once you can get that into your head, then come talk to me.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,822 Messages
    2,923 Likes Received
    Maybe if you get what he is talking about, concerning Taylor, you would understand and quit having to repeat yourself.

It is his contention, that although Sean Taylor is LISTED as a FS he is really just a Strong Saftey.

As many times as I have heard people bash on Roy Williams for his coverage blunders at least he is a Strong Saftey. Sean is listed as a FS but plays like a Strong Safety from his hard hitting style to his coverage blunders.

THAT is the point he is saying. You got a Strong Safety in Sean taylor even if he is listed as a FS. So why not move Sean to Strong and draft a FS.

Now as far as the rest. I don't have a clue why you keep coming in here blah blah blahing about what these guys are saying and wondering why they don't get it when you know it is going to be the same thing over and over.

It is like trying to coax water out of a rock and you are not holding a staff like a famous person did in the bible.

Maybe the smartest move on your part is to realize no matter what you say it is not going to get these guys to agree with your takes and it is better off on your part just to move on.

However if you want to strike your staff against a rock or ask the rock for water than so be it...just don't act befuddled when you get no water.:cool:
  12. skinsngibbs4life

1,382 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    another piece of evidence as to why drafting someone in the secondary wasnt a bad choice. here are some actual STATS that were complied by someone, who then sent them into hte JLC blog... pretty interesting.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/reds..._blog.html#more

"I'm a big fan of Redskins Insider (I post as Sheriff Gonna Getcha). I had some thoughts and stats about the Landry pick for all the people who really wanted a lineman.

Let me start off by saying that I was a huge Jamaal Anderson advocate and really wanted the Redskins to draft him (or Okoye). After we made the pick official and the reality of it set in (about 3:30am here in Sydney) I started trying to get excited about our defensive backfield and its numerous playmakers. But for some reason I couldn't let go of the idea of having a relentless pass-rushing, run-stuffing DE for our line. But then I took a look at some of our stats for the last three seasons.

I looked at our 2004 defense (ranked #3), 2005 defense (#9), and our pitiful 2006 defense (#31). One stat group I studied included Sacks, Interceptions, and Forced Fumbles because these plays can all have a large impact on the game. We can call them Defensive Impact Plays (DIP). The total DIP numbers were 70 (40 S, 18 INT, 12 FF), 66 (32 S, 16 INT, 18 FF), and 36 (19 S, 6 INT, 11 FF) in 2004, 2005, and 2006 respectively (there was one FF each year by an offensive player which was removed).

There was a slight decrease from 2004 to 2005 (just as the defense had a slight overall decline) but the numbers are fairly comparable. But what jumps out at you is that we had 30 less DIP in 2006 than in 2005. Now I know that anyone who watched us this year would not be surprised at any of these numbers. But they are much more surprising when you break them up into Defensive Back, Linebacker, and Defensive Line stats for each year. Here is what that looks like:

Sacks INT FF
    DB 9 15 7 31
    LB 11 2 3 16
    DL 20 1 2 23
    40 18 12 Total = 70

DB 4.5 10 9 23.5
    LB 11.5 5 6 22.5
    DL 16 1 3 20
    32 16 18 Total = 66

DB 1 5 4 10
    LB 5 0 4 9
    DL 13 1 3 17
    19 6 11 Total = 36

Gregg Williams is known for using an aggressive blitzing defense so these numbers make sense. For instance, when our defense was considered to be at its peak (2004), the DBs and LBs combined for 47 DIP out of 70, or 67% of DIP. In 2005, when our defense was still very effective, the DBs and LBs combined for 46 DIP out of 66 total, or about 70% of DIP. Now in 2006, with the loss of Ryan Clark (FA), Walt Harris (FA), Pierson Prioleau (INJ), and even Sean Springs (INJ) for 7 games, the DBs struggled to produce, resulting in 10 DIP.

The LBs regressed as well with only 9 DIP. But the interesting thing is that the DL still managed a respectable 17 DIP, compared to 20 DIP in 2005 and 23 DIP in 2004. The DBs and LBs combined for only 53% of DIP in 2006, down from 70% in 2005 and 67% in 2004.

Many of us Skins fans have been wondering aloud about the lack of urgency the 'Braintrust' has displayed towards upgrading our Defensive Line this offseason. We only had five picks in this draft (only one first day pick) and yet we used one pick on a DB, two picks on LB, two picks on offense, and exactly zero picks on the DL. But perhaps Gibbs is not completely wrong when he says that our DL is just fine. Yes, Griffin is our only standout. Yes, neither Golston nor Carter is much of a force against the run. Yes, Griffin and Daniels are old and slowing down.

But this line still produced last year despite multiple injuries. According to the DIP index, they performed much better than both the DBs and LBs and were not far from their DIP production of the last two years when we had top ten defenses in the league. Plus, Andre Carter really did not settle in until late in the year when he was given fewer instructions and more freedom to simply play.

Looking at these stats, our DL may not have been our biggest problem last year. Our DBs and LBs had the biggest drop offs in performance. With an offseason that has included solid upgrades in the DBs (Landry, Smoot, and Macklin) and LBs (London Fletcher), perhaps our defense will return to form in Gregg Williams' creative blitz-happy schemes in 2007.

Even if you don't completely buy my argument, these statistics have to make you a little more at ease about our defense in the upcoming season. "
  13. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,681 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:

You guys needed help with the pass rush ...... just like us.

You wasted your high pick on a position you did not need.

Who cares ....... the Skins ruin or lose every player they draft anyway ..... so who cares.

Either Landry will be a bust (unlikely)
    Or you will lose him to bring in some high cost free agent in a few years (likely)

Either way ...... does it really matter?

;)
  14. hermitkid

hermitkid Member

145 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    You can't deride Washington for picking Landry and then turn around and suggest that they should have taken Peterson.

Not with a runner that gives you 1500 yards every season and another versatile back that has proven that he can gain 1000 yards plus if given the carries on Washington's roster.

Picking Peterson is without a doubt the dumbest thing they could have done outside of picking Quinn or Ted Ginn Jr.

You can harp on Washington not addressing a big need at the DL but if you think rationally and go back a couple of months prior to the draft hype kicking in, the '07 draft was widely considered pitiful as far as prospects for that position were concerned.
  15. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    This rings so true; so true.
  16. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    you still need an effective pass-rush, and I just don't see it
  17. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,309 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    [IMG]

oh u meant picks, not pics.
  18. firehawk350

firehawk350 Active Member

2,108 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So you're saying we have two SS on the Skins??? No offense, but neither of these guys book at as a pure SS a la Roy. Anyways, in the cover-2 that Williams runs, you need two safeties with good range. You need to forget one's a FS and the other is a SS. They are both just safeties. And to say we didn't fill a hole when you go onthat Peterson should have been the pick there is just ********. What would the skins roster looked like then?
    Clinton Portis
    Ladell Betts
    Adrian Peterson
    Portis counts like $7 mil to the cap, Betts $2 mil and Peterson $4 mil (just guesses)? How smart is that?
  19. skinsngibbs4life

1,382 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ok, honestly man, rivalry aside, thats just f'd up. Who cares what a fan looks like? Why even bring that into a discussion? It's just competly messed up to bash people because of the way they look, and shows a lot about you as a person.
  20. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Hey, let's say Carter gets a dozen sacks next year... it's highly unlikely, but let's say it happens...

That brings the Skins all the way up to 25 whole sacks... LOL...