1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Watching Dontari Poe - NT - Memphis

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by realtick, Nov 17, 2011.

1. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm getting a chance to watch Memphis NT Dontari Poe play against Marshall right now.

I have to say I'm really impressed with him.

At 6'5" 350 lbs, the kid is just a well put together piece of human flesh. He's no slob or slouch (Terrance Cody anyone?). His legs are tree trunks. I already knew he was one of the strongest players in college, but the broadcast just said he squats 700+ and benches 500+.

Anyways, on to the actual game. What really has jumped out to me is that he plays smart. On more than a few times I watched him sniff out a screen as it was developing and not get sucked into chasing the QB, but rather locate the receiver. He's also made two or three stuffs since I've been watching. He's surprisingly quick through the line and powerful when shedding blocks (he's getting double-teamed a lot) and splitting attempted double-teams.

I have noticed that he's not consistently quick off the snap. That's not to say he isn't in general, but just I've seen a few times he got off the snap noticeably late.

I'd love to see the Cowboys add some bulk and push to the middle of the defensive line. I think Poe compares favorably to Phillip Taylor. I wouldn't mind considering him in the late 2nd to 3rd round.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I'd be fine with a big guy like this in the second round.

My only question is does he play with a low enough pad level of play NT?
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Fair question. I think like most bigger linemen, if he knows a play is an obvious pass play or away from him, he has a tendency to get high looking or watching the play.

I've always believed pad level is a technique issue that can taught or ingrained with more coaching at the next level unless you're physically hindered by being too tall. I don't think that's a problem with Poe.
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    From what I have seen a Poe, watching now 5 games this year, he plays very tall and is late getting off the snap. He plays with great strength and speed with his size. I think he is more of 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE being a tall 6-5.
    I like Sylvester Williams as a true 3-4 DT.
    Kawann Short Purdue is my #1 NT, who played very well against Wisconsin Zeitler and Konz. Short also has the style of play to be a 3-4 DE.
  5. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Yes, most guys who are 6-5 can't play NT but they can sometimes play DE fairly well.

However, my perspective is 3-4 DEs aren't worth premium picks unless they can generate a significant amount of pressure in the pass rush. This is not true of NTs who I think are worth premium picks so long as they stand up to double teams and clog up the middle of the field with a pile of bodies.
  6. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,143 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    I like Poe too, but not in the 2nd. If Cowboys go NT/DE in the 2nd, then I would rather go with Alameda Ta'amu.

He is a true NT.
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Man, I just don't see it with Ta'amu. Being on the west coast I see a lot of PAC-12 football, and I haven't come away impressed by him. He's got good size but he's not very athletic being a stiff and gets off balance in pursuit or when changing direction. Guys like Haloti Ngata and Phillip Taylor are examples of truly big men with athleticism. He also gets pushed off the line way too easily for a man his size. I don't like his effort at times. He's what I call a "crocodile" type player; he flashes for a play and then disappears for an entire series or two. JMO

Having said that, Ta'amu is a guy I would consider in the 4th or beyond if available. I don't think he'll get drafted nearly as high as some project him.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,043 Messages
    3,280 Likes Received
    Watched a little of the game and he is an interesting prospect depending on the round.

However if you watched the game you should have been watching the best defensive player on the field last night...Vinny Curry. :cool:
  9. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    You must have been really hard up for some football to watch a Memphis game. :laugh1:

I didn't even know it was on tv. Did we at least keep Marshall below 40 pts?
  10. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    23-22, Marshall over Memphis.

I actually like when ESPN covers obscure games like this on a weekday nightbecause it allows me to focus in on certain prospects without worrying that I'm missing other games like you would on a Saturday.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,078 Messages
    3,767 Likes Received
    He would need to play DE; otherwise, he won't get enough snaps to make it worth a draft pick.
  12. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not necessarily true.

Ratliff will be 31 heading into next year and there is no gaurantee how Dallas plans to utilize him moving forward. Besides, in Ryan's defense there is so much rotation and various packages that a guy like Poe (or any other player) would get signficant snaps.
  13. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,920 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I disagree, if they are 350+ or so, yea they can. Ted Washington is 6'5 (365), Kris Jenkins was 6'5 (360), Paul Soliai is 6'4 (355) and Terrence Cody is 6'4 (350).

The taller guys can play NT, but they need to be 350 or so plus.
  14. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I know it is a gigantic difference but I did say 6-5.

Jenkins was injured a lot. Washington was good but he was a bit of a freak.

I think the ideal height for a NT is 6-1 (long arms needed, though) to 6-4 (have to be good knee benders). The ideal weight is from 315 to 360 pounds with large bum and thighs. I good NT can have a big of a gut but don't like total slobs. I think Wilfork is pushing the limits now and I think he was a better player when he weighed 20 pounds less.

I really coveted Wilfork when he came out in the draft. He came so close to falling to us. We should have jumped up a couple of spots and secured him that year. I think that might have been the year when we could have drafted Steven Jackson, too. Instead we traded down with the Bills and ended up with Julius Jones and Marcus Spears the next year. We really should have jumped up a couple of spots when he got close to us and secured him because we already knew Parcells was itching to switch to the 3-4 defense. That was a big draft mistake by Jerry. Then we could have could have taken Randy Starks but drafted Jacob Rogers instead.

NT is still a fairly significant need for us as I really don't think Rat is going to last that much longer. He is really wearing down and isn't a force as a pass rusher now anymore.
  15. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This isn't meant to be antagonistic, but a sincere question. Have you seen Poe play? I'm asking because Poe is exactly as you described above (minus the gut); his calfs/thighs look like he's carrying bowling balls in them.

Again, he does play with good knee bend and leverage at times, otherwise he wouldn't be able to pentrate and get the push he's demonstated he can get. Yes, his technique isn't always consistent, but that's a technique issue that can be taught at the next level. Playing in Memphis (C-USA) and being one of the strongest athletes in the country, I'm sure his technique can get sloppy because he's simply able to get away with it.

I'm not advocating taking him in the 2nd round, but I do think he's a Round 2-4 potential.
  16. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,920 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I think Ideally most NTs are 6'1 to 6'3 (even 6'4 is rare) but that because there are very few guys at that height who can carry 350 pounds and still be athletic enough to contribute on a football field.

All in all, anyone 6'5 350 is somewhat of a feak. As far as Poe goes, I haven't seen him play, but I personally never trust college heights. If he's listed at 6'5 there's a airly good chance he's 6'4.
  17. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thought the same thing.
  18. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I've heard that he is actually a tall 6'5".

there isn't a 3-4 NT 6'5"
    the tallest are Paul Soliai, Garay, and Cody all 6'4"
  19. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So is it your contention that if youre 6'5" you can't play nose?
  20. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    No I haven't seen this player in question - just talking about NTs in general. There is usually only about one good 3-4 NT prospect each year and the bust rate is high.

I'd love nothing more for us to find that guy. I'd be happy if Poe was that guy and we drafted him.