1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

News: Watkins: Cowboys miss on TCU safety

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

26,081 Messages
    19,551 Likes Received
    By Calvin Watkins

When you're watching the playoff games this weekend, take a look at San Francisco 49ers safety Colin Jones.

Jones, a TCU product, backed up former Cowboys draft pick safety Stephen Hodge in college.

Jones emerged in his senior season, finishing second on the team with 80 tackles while starting in 12 of 13 games. In the Rose Bowl, Jones finished with a career-high 10 tackles.

Still this wasn't enough for the Cowboys to take a look at the Jones, who is from Bridgeport, Texas, about an hour northwest of Fort Worth. Jones ran a 4.34 40 at TCU's Pro Day and when the Cowboys held their annual Dallas Day, which invites area and college players playing for area schools to meet with the coaches and front office personnel, he didn't get a call.

"I was unsure where I would go," Jones said Friday as he prepared for the 49ers playoff game against the New Orleans Saints. "I had a real god Pro Day and teams started to take interest. On draft day it was nice to get a call, I never got any contact with the Cowboys. I was a Cowboys fan growing up," Jones said. "I was surprised I never got contacted for that."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4689549/cowboys-miss-on-tcu-safety
  2. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I can't believe Jerrah missed on this kid....he's usually so THOROUGH.:bang2: :cool:
  3. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Huh..I wonder how many other stories we could write about Dallas and all the other teams missing on a local product.

Probably very few I would imagine. This only happens to the Cowboys. Thank goodness ESPN is here to set me straight.

Halibutlooyeah!
  4. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,690 Messages
    1,035 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  5. cowboysfan31

cowboysfan31 Active Member

1,292 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    How did we "miss" him? He was drafted in the 6th round, and was on their practice squad when we played them this year. If he were a Cowboy, we would be poking fun at Jerry for drafting a guy just because he's fast.
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    So did 31 other teams :rolleyes:
  7. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This kind of lame "analysis" is what I've come to expect from Watkins... he's making Jones out to be some kind of superstar, which is of course laughable... he's nothing more than a rather fast JAG...

Watkins sux...
  8. johnny utah

johnny utah Guest

Does Watkins ever write anyting positive?
  9. Dmoore Esq

Dmoore Esq Member

170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So we missed on a guy that's playing special teams for the Niners? Seriously, probably the dumbest article I've read in a long time. What's the story here?
  10. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,942 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    There are a many stories where teams have missed on players. Brady, Austin, Romo, Jeff Saturday, Arian Foster, and Harrison are players that many teams have missed who havee become all-pro players.
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Definitely a reach of a blog post. Maybe it was aimed as much at the TCU audience as the Cowboys one.
  12. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    So no one drafted him?
  13. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member

6,120 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    it would have been one thing if Watkins would have written about another TCU product that the Cowboys did missed on, even though there was a valid reason for that. Marcus Cannon would have been more valuable to the Cowboys this past season than Bruce Carter was, but Colin Jones ? Really ?

This dude is stealing money from BSPN..
  14. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    He was drafted in the 6th round
  15. The Emperor

The Emperor Marcus Aurelius Maximus

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey, schmuck, why don't you write an article about how the Giants and Jets missed out on Miles Austin?

Or how the Chicago Bears missed out on Tony Romo?

Or how the Saints missed out on Jay Ratliff?

Or how the Steelers gave Sean Lee up for dead after his knee job?

You're a putz, Calvin Watkins. If you ever have the misfortune of meeting me, I hope it's not in front of witnesses because you will be summarily exposed for your lack of grid iron expertise and your penchant for shoddy hit piece "journalism."

I'd give you an old Italian insult, but I'd probably get another strike.
  16. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,048 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Lol. We missed on a special teams player. He should have came out when we had our special teams draft.
  17. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,934 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    We could of brought him in to back up Hodge like he did in college......oh wait, never mind!
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The Eli to Nicks hailmary has nothing on this blog post. This isn't even good by blatant troll standards.
  19. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,480 Messages
    1,438 Likes Received
    And tomorrow, Calvin will blog about how the Cowboys blew it on former Texas Longhorn Chykie Brown, whose three defensive tackles and one special teams tackle for the Ravens could have saved the Cowboys' season.
  20. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

24,903 Messages
    1,953 Likes Received
    Whats even more fun is to think about how many of these people who are bashing right now had even heard of this kid before this year, or before this piece.

Probably weren't too many people clamoring for the kid coming out of TCU at the time.