1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Watkins - Cowboys talking to Hue Jackson

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by kjcmeb, Jan 22, 2013.

1. kjcmeb

kjcmeb Active Member

100 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    MOBILE, Ala. -- In his strongest comments yet about the Dallas Cowboys' play-calling situation, owner and general manager Jerry Jones implied to reporters at the Senior Bowl that coach Jason Garrett would no longer call the team's offensive plays and that offensive line coach/offensive coordinator Bill Callahan would take over that role.
    Jones stopped short of making those announcements official, but said Tuesday morning Garrett was fine with the decisions. After a brief second interview with ESPNDallas.com on Tuesday afternoon, Jerry and Stephen Jones said no final decisions have been made regarding the play caller.

Also, multiple sources said the Cowboys have held discussions with former Oakland Raiders coach Hue Jackson about joining the staff in some capacity on offense. Originally the discussions revolved around becoming the offensive coordinator but they have now moved toward possibly adding Jackson to another position.

Jackson has worked within the framework of the Cowboys' offense, which is based on a number system. Jackson worked with coaches Al Saunders and Cam Cameron in the past, who both run a similar scheme. Jackson joined the Raiders as offensive coordinator in 2010 under then-coach Tom Cable. Jackson improved the Raiders' offense that season as they finished sixth in scoring (25.6) and more than doubled their point total from the previous season.

What role Jackson might have with the Cowboys is uncertain, but for now Jones is likely moving away from using Garrett as the playcaller.
    "It's not a step back for Jason. It's actually a step forward for Jason in my mind," Jones said. "... When he became the head coach, it was at my insistence that he continue to call the plays. It was not at Jason's insistence. It is not a step back for the Cowboys or a step back individually for him to change the way we basically are putting our game plan together or are calling the plays on the offensive side of the ball. As you well know, differences in opinion can frankly be a step in a better direction."

Jones said Garrett would work more on overall team issues but will still be involved with the offense.
    Callahan is the most experienced playcaller on the staff, having served in that role under Jon Gruden in Oakland running the West Coast offense. Jones said some aspects of that offense could be used in coordination with Garrett's timing-based system.

"I think you get that when you create more input, influence, whatever you want to call it ..." Jones said. "If Bill Callahan has more influence -- let's make that assumption. If he does, then you will see more of some of the things that work for him in his coaching career."
  2. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

WRs run the wrong routes, offense suffered because of Murray's injury, the OL sucked, Tony Romo changing Garrett's plays incorrectly... But it's not a demotion for the GENIUS Ivy-League play-caller Jason Garrett...

Jerry, no need to white-wash the demotion and protect Jason's feelings.. he's a leader of men and doesn't take crap from anybody per his followers. I'm sure he can take it like a man...
  3. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,988 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    Hue Jackson as offensive coordinator would be a good hire. Great offensive mind and its criminal that he's been relegated to a defensive/special teams assistant. Proof of how difficult coaching opportunities are to come by for minorities in the NFL.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,051 Messages
    3,738 Likes Received
    Jerry is taking the Mark Cuban approach that there is no salary cap on coaches.

Cuban hires former head coaches to be ball boys.
  5. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,000 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    I agree, he wasn't given a fair shake in Oakland, he was turning that circus around out there...
  6. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,988 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    If Callahan is calling plays then please bring in Hue as QB coach and ditch that bum Wade Wilson.
  7. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    yep exactly.. Definitely had Oakland going in the right direction & it seemed Jackson had won over that Raiders team, but new ownership wanted to throw that all away and start back at ground zero
  8. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,000 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    I would definitely take him in Dallas. Leave Callahan to coach the offensive line and allow Jackson to be offensive coordinator!
  9. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I am fine with Callahan being handed the play calling duties, was just pointing out Hue Jackson would be a nice coach to add to the staff in some capacity.
  10. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Hue Jackson could be a good rb coach.

Watkins said on Sunday that Jackson's agent reached out to Jerry/Stephen because he wants to come here and be a part of the staff
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,684 Messages
    2,418 Likes Received
    I like Hue. Raiders would've been better off keeping him last year IMO.

He would make a good midseason HC next year, too. ;)
  12. MrMom

MrMom Well-Known Member

1,550 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I could see him taking over for Jimmy Robinson if Robinson retires.
  13. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,816 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Still blows my mind that that team went undefeated in their division and still missed the playoffs.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,043 Messages
    1,048 Likes Received
    Hate it. The only thing he has shown proficiency at is recruiting in college football, other than that you can have him. He is the one that made that god awful Palmer trade in Oakland, and his offense was mistake and penalty prone.
  15. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,224 Messages
    741 Likes Received
    He'd be a great addition in that capacity.

He's being sort of punished for his decision making in Oakland -- once Davis died, Jackson pretty much became the GM and traded for Carson Palmer. Had that worked out well, he might still be working there
  16. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,323 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    What don't you hate?
  17. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,506 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    I like it. Maybe he's not cut out to be a head coach but definitely could work as our oc and positions coach on some offensive position
  18. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Agreed
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,227 Messages
    1,949 Likes Received
    Whenever I see his name I can only think of Hugh Jackman calling plays on the sideline in a Wolverine suit.
  20. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,917 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    :laugh2: