1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Watkins: Random Thoughts: Mike Jenkins earning his time

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 4, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,549 Messages
    3,399 Likes Received
    Oct 4
    11:52
    AM CT

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Some thoughts after the Cowboys' fourth game of the season, a 34-18 loss to the Bears:

1. As we head into the bye week, we're hearing nothing negative about the play of cornerback Mike Jenkins. It's funny how several people thought Jenkins was a terrible corner in 2011. He was a Pro Bowler who just so happened to be the team's best cornerback last season. Jenkins didn't get enough credit for playing through numerous injuries last year; it appears he could barely tackle the last half of the season with a shoulder injury that took nearly eight hours to repair during surgery. Jenkins is playing free safety, cornerback and special teams with no complaints. (He played 15 snaps at free safety against Chicago on Monday.) All he does is play, and while that might not be enough to get a new contract from the Cowboys, it will merit him a new deal somewhere else.
    2. The best run on Monday night game came from an unlikely source: Felix Jones. He made a nice little cut and then burst through the line for a 13-yard gain. This is not to say DeMarco Murray should get benched or get fewer carries, but if Jones is your change-of-pace back, then give him some carries at least. Maybe Jones is in better condition now, and that run against the Bears is a sign of things to come.
    Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...random-thoughts-mike-jenkins-earning-his-time
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,960 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    Sorry but Felix Jones isn't the answer for the running game woes right now...
  3. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Honestly, we need to give him more carries. He literally couldn't do any worse.
  4. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    120 Likes Received
    Yea he could fumble... the issue is the line, you could have arian foster back there and it wouldn't matter
  5. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    The issue has been the line for years.. but if one guy isn't getting the job done, you have to give someone else a chance. Not that hard to find some touches for both guys, especially considering that we should be running alot of screen passes, misdirections, and checking the ball down when nothing is open downfield.
  6. tomsanders921

tomsanders921 Active Member

987 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    You mean fumble like murray did twice last week?

Lucky we were able to get both of them back.

Felix is the change of pace guy that we need in there. Murray is the grinder and then felix needs to come in and hit them with some more speed and quickness. He showed that old quickness on his nice 13 yard run against the bears.
  7. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    So you admit the line is the issue, but we should change out RBs cuz the starter isnt' "Getting it done"?

If the line is the issue, what does it matter who the RB is? It doesn't. Emmitt Smith couldn't look good behind this OL.

Not really. Cook is just as good (or bad) as Costa.

I do, however, miss Stepnoski and/or Donaldson...
  8. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Simply put.. yes.

The line isn't going to get any better this year, so you give other guys a turn running the ball. That doesn't mean Murray should be benched, it means you give all the guys a chance to run the ball and go with the hot hand.
  9. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    No one is going to get a "Hot hand" running behind that OL.

IMO we should spread out defenses and get our rushing yards utilizing the draw or quick dives out of the shotgun. We aren't going to get it done running out of traditional running formations with this OL.

And I'm all for playing both RBs, but it's nto gonna make a difference if we don't change our approach of running the ball due to the ineffectiveness of the OL.
  10. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    120 Likes Received
    We should sit in shotgun all day with a RB in the backfield. Spread the defense out and pass the ball and run draws. Like I said Felix Jones had one good run. Murray is hands down a way better RB. You see his vision when he catches a ball and takes it for 8-10 yards.
  11. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Sentence one is your speculative opinion.. not fact.

I agree with alot of the rest though.
  12. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Felix has a better yards per catch average this season than Murray.
  13. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    It's not speculative, it's fact.

Unless you count getting to the line of scrimmage as getting a "hot hand".

Our OL is getting driven backwards on runnign plays and our RBs are often lucky just to get to the line of scrimmage.

If anyone does get a "hot hand" it's cuz the blocking is good (at that point/in that game). but if the blocking continues to be as bad as it has been the last 3 games, NO ONE will be getting a "hot hand".
  14. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    It is not, sir. :)

I encourage you to look up the word in your nearest dictionary.
  15. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Ok you explain to me how a rb can get a "hot hand" when there are no holes to run through.

Go grab a dictionary if you need help.

:rolleyes:
  16. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Well now, a dictionary wouldn't help much with an explination of a sports topic, would it?

If you have no evidence to prove something.. its speculation.

You can't sit here and prove to me in any way that Tanner or Felix couldn't be more effective than 3.4 ypc behind this same line.

That's really all there is to it.

:)
  17. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    So you aren't going to answer the question? Or even try to?

That's what I figured.

Like I said... IF the OL keeps blocking like they have the last 3 weeks, NO ONE will be getting a "Hot Hand" at RB.

I'm not saying no one will, I'm saying no one will IF THE LINE CONTINUES TO BLOCK THE WAY THEY HAVE THE LAST THREE WEEKS.

That, Sir, is a fact.
  18. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    I don't need to answer the question.. i simply stated that what you said was not a fact.

Then you played dumb.. so i humored you by explaining why what you said was not a fact.

Now your just acting childish.. so im exiting the conversation.

Good day, sir. :)
  19. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I'm acting childish?

Wow.