1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Watkins ranks our roster...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    It was an eye opener.

Bob Sturm is right. It's not the top 10 or so players on this team. It's the remainder of the roster that's the problem.
  2. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    If Gerald Sensabaugh is the 14th best player on your team, then you have a talent problem.

To think Livings is 15 is a further indictment.
  3. whcarm

whcarm Member

482 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What the heck is going on with Matt Johnson in that picture? Not trying to look, but what the heck. Looks like he stuffed a loaf of bread down his shorts.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,396 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    Who said this roster was loaded with talent?
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,466 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    we cant even keep 55 much less 65 so yea that'd be a pretty sad last group.

if we didnt have 1000 injuries watkins would have never gotten to 65 players.
    no idea why he didnt stop at 55. putting players he's never even seen play is just goofy.
  6. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,365 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    David Arkin, we hardly knew ye...
  7. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,649 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    This like asking Forrest Gump to pick his top investments.
  8. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Albright was able to cover Rainey. Move him higher.
  9. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,541 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    While its true that our talent falls off after a dozen or so players I'm not convinced that our roster is significantly different than most of the NFL teams.

Few Cowboy fans follow other teams closely enough to know the quality of their talent from 15 through 53. The grass often looks greener.

Further, I have often suspected that your top dozen or so is what covers the shortcomings of the rest of your team.

Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin, Haley, Allen, etc made Robert Jones, Jimmie Jones, Harper, Larry Brown, and a host of others look talented beyond what they were.

Do I think only the top dozen are important? Absolutely not. Do I hope we work tirelessly to strengthen 13 through 53? Yes!

I'm only suggesting a little push back from "OMG - we're a mess from 14 on..."
  10. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,116 Messages
    218 Likes Received
  11. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,695 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    I'll state the obvious

........ if our roster didnt drop off after the teens..........we'd probably have advanced at least into the playoffs.....at least once of the last couple yrs.

His rankings are indicitave of our record the last few years.
  12. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,699 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    The media, whether it's coming straight from them, or they're quoting other coaches/players. I hear it from people I talk with about the Cowboys. Also, people on this forum (and other forums), when they rip Garrett for not doing enough with all the supposed talent we have.
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I think a ranking like this does give a different perspective.

I think Ernie Sims is a little cheated on it.

I think it shows that Dallas has a good amount of top players at certain positions. They are probably as talented as anyone at the top end but the other thing to notice is that the back end is almost non-existant. The team basically relies solely on the guys in the first 10 spots.
  14. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,742 Messages
    2,401 Likes Received
    Man, what a drop off after 13.

Also, putting Lee ahead of Romo makes this list hard to take seriously. We win maybe 3 games without Romo and yet we almost won the division title with Lee and his big toe standing on the sideline.

Not bagging on Lee, just saying.
  15. CowboysPhan

CowboysPhan Obsequious Cowboys Toadie

447 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Of course, it's hard to make a ranking of this nature work perfectly because of the different natures of the positions. For example, Dan Bailey is ranked number 20, but was darn near perfect at what he does this year. L.P. Ledoucier is ranked #30, yet he pretty much WAS perfect at what he does. So a couple of those guys, while they may be ranked low like that on the list of players, it doesn't mean they are bad at what they do at all. You simply can't rank a long-snapper above guys who contribute in larger roles.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,896 Messages
    2,144 Likes Received
    I agree.

And that's why injuries cna be so crippling. You have to have good depth to overcome it.
  17. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,108 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Three observations (both should be obvious):

1. we are not a talented team
    2. injuries killed us last year
    3. rankings like this are totally irrelevant (but kinda fun)
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,896 Messages
    2,144 Likes Received
    check (from top-to-bottom, anyway)
    check (no doubt)
    check
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,255 Likes Received
    I don't see anything particularly enlightening in ranking the players this way, but, yeah, I agree with the general consensus that our roster is top-heavy. That's been the case for 5 years, though. It's one of the reasons I am hopeful under Garrett because I do believe he's got a system in place where the scouts are finding him the talent he's looking for. It's just that we've had to replace our entire starting OL and three quarters of our starting secondary while trying to add and develop depth underneath it all. That's not been an easy task, and, while it's going on, our quality starters are getting older.
  20. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

783 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    ... Garrett is the problem... really?

Let's see:

Get rid of Garrett, insert name of the next coach, continue with poor roster, get rid of "insert name of next coach", insert name of next coach, continue with poor roster...

Copy

Paste

History? See 1998 through 2013... hit enter