1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

We Could Have Gotten Him

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CowboyMcCoy, Apr 29, 2013.

1. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,268 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    Earl thomas is the same height and he is doing fine, i think Elam will be a a great safety in the NFL.
  2. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,261 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    I was talking about Elam. Since this thread is about elam.

In baltimore Huff is slotted to play the FS so Elam will most likely play the SS. He will be the enforcer safety which is what his play-style is conducive to and I think he should be a FS because he likes to stick his nose into run support and I do not think his body will hold up at the NFL if he is the run supporter safety.
  3. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,261 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Thomas plays FS in Baltimore Huff will be playing FS that leaves SS for Elam.
  4. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    The problem is Elam is stiff in coverage so he's not going to be able to hang with WRs and TEs are going to give the smaller safeties trouble no matter what. That's quite a liability in coverage there.

Earl Thomas does have the cover abilities to cover WRs.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,042 Messages
    4,538 Likes Received
    My bad. A little closer.
  6. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,363 Messages
    802 Likes Received
    The cowboys didn't even have Elam on their draft board . He wasn't even a consideration . We needed to help protect romo made the right choice .
  7. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,882 Messages
    2,350 Likes Received
    Agree with this
  8. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,546 Messages
    700 Likes Received

:lmao2:

Did you REALLY expect thousands and thousands of free thinking human beings to give a collective "hip-hip-hooray" on a single event with multiple outcomes?

Moses was good but not THAT good.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,194 Messages
    2,033 Likes Received
    This is probably accurate. There is no question in my mind that Vaccaro was the player they wanted at 18. Once he was gone, the Cowboys actively started to try and trade down. Reid, who knows? The Cowboys could have had Reid but they elected to trade down instead. I think they would have taken him if he had been there at 31 but you new there was no chance of that.
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Reid was supposedly one of those guys that had 2nd round grade but was in the top 32. And reports from Broaddus has always been that they like him. They also appeared miffed that the 49ers took him, it's rumored that the 49ers lied to them on who they were taking when they made the trade.
  11. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received

To me, he looked better in coverage than BW Webb did at the senior bowl. And I like Webb.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,194 Messages
    2,033 Likes Received
    I have heard that also but the reality, at least in my mind, is that Reid was not going to make it to 31. If the Cowboys had him at 18 and elected to trade down to 31, that makes me question just how much they really wanted him. The 49ers may have been less then honest in who they were taking but, we had to know that the chances of him falling were at best, even and more likely none at all.
  13. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,966 Messages
    1,529 Likes Received
    Not a big Reid guy....I like Cyrpien as well as any of the Safeties

I am very happy with Frederick @ #31 over Reid...
  14. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Say what you will about Bob, but I'd take 5 years of what he brought.
  15. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    There really aren't definded FS's and SS's anymore in the NFL. You just have interchangable safeties now, both of whom do some covering and some run stopping.
  16. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    Mayock did NOT say that. He said that "ultimately, he's a starting safety". Meaning that at some point, he will start, not that he starts Day 1.

When it comes to DB's, I take Mayock's word as gospel. He's right way more often than he's wrong.