1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

We have to assume that Jacksonville offered us 16 and 49 for 9...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by tm1119, Apr 28, 2011.

1. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,090 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Correct? If so, how do you feel about not taking that deal?
  2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,853 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    FWST reported it. I wouldn't have minded a move down.
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Reports say they offered the same deal to Dallas. I'm Amazed Jerry did not bite. I would of had to think hard about that one but I'm glad Dallas stayed put and took Tyron.
  4. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,469 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    they did offer us 16+49 for 9 and we rejected it

looking back it would have either been Castonzo or Solder @ 16

glad we didnt make that deal

id much rather have Smith over both
  5. urface59

urface59 Active Member

1,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would have prefered Costanzo and 49
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,274 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received
    Value:

9: 1,350

16: 1,000
    49: 410
    Total: 1,410

So yeah, we would have made out positively on that deal. Not sure why Jerry passed, especially after waiting all that time for an offer before picking Smith.
  7. GloryDaysRBack

9,469 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    no thanks on the 60 value points..ill take the best OT in the draft instead
  8. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    In a fairly weak draft I'll take the top rated guy at a position of need over a lower rated player and additional picks.
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would have taken that deal in a NYC second.

The only way to rationalize it is to believe that Dallas really felt Tyron Smith was far away the best player on its board, and not the close 1 (Smith), 1A (Castonzo), 1B (Watt), et cetera, situation that we were led to believe. Perhaps they didn't want to run the risk of losing Tyron somewhere between 10-15.
  10. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,729 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    Stephen said earlier that they had four guys on their short list of who they wanted. So if you trade down seven spots, too big a risk that those guys are all gone by 16. Then you have people complaining that they got too cute and missed their guy. I'd love to have 49, but I'm fine with them staying put and taking Smith.
  11. BearArms

BearArms New Member

2 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We got arguably the best OL in the draft. There were other decent options that would have been available at 16, but I love the fact that we went for the homerun with Smith. He's got the best shot at being a real star.

I might eat my words later but for now I'm happy.
  12. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,853 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    What if they could have gotten Kenrick Ellis, Rahim Moore, or Will Rackley at 49 after getting Aaron Williams at 40.
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,274 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received
    I think at some point you could see Jerry posing the question to the room, so obviously it wasn't an easy decision but hopefully they made the right one.

To be honest, seeing Patrick Peterson and Julio Jones go before our pick really drove a lot of wind out of my sails on this one, as soon as Julio came off the board and we wouldn't have the opportunity to capitalize on a trade down like the Browns did, I knew we'd be settling for someone.
  14. jbsg02

jbsg02 Active Member

1,719 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Seeing how things played out in the first, I'm glad we stayed with Smith at 9, It was unlikely that Smith would have still been there at 16. People love to rip Jerry for trading down and not taking the blue chip prospect available, but this time he stayed put
  15. playmakers

playmakers Active Member

1,149 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    It came down to this Tyron Smith was our guy at all costs. The debate was can we get Smith at 16 or can we trade back up into the 10-14 area to get him. Definitely it was uncertain, so we took our guy.

Pick 10 was Wash= We got to assume they wanted Gabbert and if we give that player to the team in front of them they could turn around and screw us.

Pick 11 Hou= These guys could always use a OT. Especially, with Aldon Smith off the board and Chester Pitts getting injured last year I believe.

Pick 12 Minn= Again, we got to assume OT was at the top of their needs.

Pick 13-14 Lions Rams= This would of been our trade up target but would Smith of made it here? I say No! I'd say Hou would of picked him or would of made Minn reconsider.
  16. GloryDaysRBack

9,469 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Id still much rather have Smith..

honestly, hes the only OT i wanted

I LOVE his upside..having the 9th pick, I wanted to make sure we took advantage of it..and I think we did
  17. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So what if they did? Atlanta set the bar for a significant move much higher than that with their deal. There was no reason for us to "settle" or just trade for the sake of getting an extra pick.

They did the right thing. Either get exactly what you want or dont do the deal. We got a great player at a huge area of need, there's no loss in that situation.
  18. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, they also reported we were definitely taking Constanzo over Smith
  19. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    It all depends on how Smith and the other guys turn out, doesn't it? If Solder or Castanzo or even Sherrod are close to as good as Smith, maybe we should've traded down.

But if Smith lives up to all the potential we seem to think he has, we probably did the right thing... And I usually like trading back.

I guess the other question would be if Prince turned out to be really, really good... But somehow I don't see that.
  20. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd rather sign Michael Huff to play FS instead of drafting either Williams or Moore.