1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

We need more of this

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by yeahyeah, Aug 27, 2008.

1. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    (CBS/AP) The largest single-workplace immigration raid in U.S. history has caused panic among Hispanic families in this Mississippi town, where federal agents rounded up nearly 600 plant workers suspected of being in the country illegally.

One worker caught in Monday's sweep at the Howard Industries transformer plant said fellow workers applauded as immigrants were taken into custody.

Federal officials said a tip from a union member prompted them to start investigating several years ago. On Monday federal agents in unmarked cars and white vans raided the plant in Laurel, sealing off entrances rounding up suspects, reports CBS affiliate WJTV-TV.

Fabiola Pena, 21, cradled her 2-year-old daughter as she described a chaotic scene at the plant as the raid began, followed by clapping.

"I was crying the whole time. I didn't know what to do," Pena said. "We didn't know what was happening because everyone started running. Some people thought it was a bomb, but then we figured out it was immigration."

About 100 of those detained were released for humanitarian reasons, many of them mothers who were fitted with electronic monitoring bracelets and allowed to go home to their children, officials said.

Some 475 other workers were transferred to a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in Jena, Louisiana. Nine who were under 18 were transferred to the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement.

John Foxworth, an attorney representing some of the immigrants, said eight appeared in federal court on Tuesday because they face criminal charges for allegedly using false Social Security and residency identification.

He said the raid was traumatic for families.

"There was no communication, an immediate loss of any kind of news and a lack of understanding of what's happening to their loved ones," he said. "A complete and utter feeling of helplessness."

The superintendent of the county school district said about half of the district's approximately 160 Hispanic students were absent Tuesday.

Roberto Velez, pastor at Iglesia Cristiana Peniel, where an estimated 30 to 40 percent the 200 parishioners were caught up in the raid, said children were kept out of school because parents feared immigration officials would take them.

"They didn't send their kids to school today," he said. "How scared is that?"

Those detained were from Brazil, El Salvador, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, and Peru, said Barbara Gonzalez, an ICE spokeswoman.

[IMG]I don't know if they are going to let my husband go and when I will see him. [IMG]
    Elizabeth Alegria, Mexican immigrant

Elizabeth Alegria, 26, a Mexican immigrant, was working at the plant Monday when ICE agents stormed in. When they found out she has two sons, ages 4 and 9, she was fitted with a bracelet and told to appear in federal court next month. Her husband, Andres, was not so lucky.

"I'm very traumatized because I don't know if they are going to let my husband go and when I will see him," Alegria said through a translator Tuesday as she returned to the Howard Industries parking lot to retrieve her sport utility vehicle.

Howard Industries is in Mississippi's Pine Belt region, known for commercial timber growth and chicken processing plants. The tech company produces dozens of products ranging from electrical transformers to medical supplies, according to its Web site.

Gonzalez, the ICE spokeswoman, said agents had executed search warrants at both the plant and the company headquarters in nearby Ellisville.

She said no company executives had been detained, but this is an "ongoing investigation and yesterday's action was just the first part."

A woman at the Ellisville headquarters told The Associated Press on Tuesday that no one was available to answer questions.

The Mississippi raid is one of several nationwide in recent years.

On May 12, federal immigration officials swept into Agriprocessors, the nation's largest kosher meatpacking plant, in Iowa. Nearly 400 workers were detained and dozens of fraudulent permanent resident alien cards were seized from the plant's human resources department, according to court records.

In December 2006, 1,297 were arrested at Swift meatpacking plants in Nebraska and five other states.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/08/26/national/main4386505.shtml
  2. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,304 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Illegeal immigrants cause global warming.....One more SUV off the road!!!

:laugh2:
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,080 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    The Personal Department heads in these factories should also be arrested.
  4. zrinkill

33,080 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    Most criminals are very traumatized when they get arrested for breaking the law.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,313 Messages
    4,648 Likes Received
    Doubt that happens in a capitalists society.

I never do understand how so many of these people get busted and deported yet politicians, governments, corporations and so on hire them in the first place or send the work to them in other countries. It is like the ultimate hypocrisy to me.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

61,313 Messages
    4,648 Likes Received
    He is going to be sent to Gitmo...guy will never walk the same after he meets Mr Corn Cob. :p:
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Depends on how much says so the personal department head has. One thing for sure the company should be fined and as reported have any government contracts pulled from them
  8. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,304 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I think there needs to be a $10,000 fine per person for companies that hire illegals.
  9. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    I toured that plant several years ago. They supply transformers to our company...
  10. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Stinkin' enabler.
    :D
  11. zrinkill

33,080 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    Unfortunately I do to.

About 3 years ago I found out one of my best workers was using illegal documents.

Told him on a thursday that I was gonna wait till Monday to report it, so thats how long he had to disappear. Gave him 3 weeks severance pay in cash and never saw him again.

All I got was a phone call from the social security department.

There has to be a better way of handling this
  12. zrinkill

33,080 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    Thats pretty funny trick .... I supply transformer parts to Cooper Power Supply here in Nac.

If they ever raid Cooper Power ...... there will be over a hundred arrest.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

61,313 Messages
    4,648 Likes Received
    AHA...An ENABLER!!!!

THERE HE IS OFFICERS...GET HIM!!!

Just Kidding.

Thing is in your case is that you thought he was legit because he had documents. So there was no intent on your part to hire illegals.

But that is not the case in many of these situations. They darn well know they are hiring them and pay them subpar wages because they know they are illegals and they can get away with it.

I have read once that the biggest employer of illegal aliens happens to be the US Government. Have no clue if that was true or not but it does make you think.

It seems to be nothing more than a political point to pander to parties base now. Doubt even half of the politicians even care other than to have that talking point.

Sad IMO.

On the other hand, one would have to wonder if there would be less illegals if we had a more efficient form/manner for people coming into this country to come in legally...if that makes sense.

There are plenty of illegal aliens that come here and work darn hard for little pay so I don't think they are just lazy people trying to milk the system. But if you tried to go through proper channels and was told it could take X amount of time before you would ever be allowed to work here legally I could see some frustration on their parts.

NO I AM NOT CONDONING ILLEGAL ALIENS before some stooge comes crying I am.

Just have to wonder if we had a more efficient system in place if a good amount of these cases would be moot.
  14. trickblue

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    I know exactly where that is...
  15. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,304 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I am all for a system that will allow us to quickly bring in unskilled labor. A guest worker program is perfect. However, it should not allow citizenship just becuse you are able to work here. Any kids born here should not be automatic citzens. You are here to work and that is it. Then you go home.
  16. Walker

Walker Texas Ranger

504 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am an undecided voters, but concerning Illegal immigration, I'd lean more toward democrat on this election. I was disappointed under the Bush Administration on their solution so hopefully the democrats have something better to show for it. I am in favor of making a migrant worker becoming a citizen as long as he/she has a clean record and has years of experience of being in America learning its culture and values. Many categorize as them being stupid, but I try to see good in people and favor giving everyone every opportunity to better themselves and family if they work for it. That was one of the core values that made this a great country.
  17. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,602 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    It's no fun being an illegal alien...

[IMG]
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    It is no fun being a Tax payer whose county is paying over 95 million a year on medical treatment of illegal aliens. I'm all in favor of people having the opportunity of become legal citizens of this country as long as they go through the proper procedures as many do.
  19. trickblue

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    I'm married to a Mexican National. She worked hard and went through the proper channels to gain her US citizenship. Nothing makes her madder than illegals from any country, including her own family. Her rule of thumb is 1) Go through the proper channels for citizenship 2) Learn the language...

This...
  20. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agreed on that....and we NEED to get tough on the businesses and local governments who allow these illegals to pass right under their noses...we need to fine these businesses at $10,000 a head.
    This illegal issue is a prime example of how our government's negligence has cost the American public jobs, lives and billions of dollars.
    These corporations have NO allegiance to anything or anyone other than the bottom line and the stock holders. If they are not shipping operations off to Mexico they are employing illegal immigrants here. Yet they will fly the flag and blabber platitudes till the cows come home....snakes..Make me sick.