1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

We need to draft a top tier QB... and soon

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by iowast8rs, Sep 10, 2012.

1. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,086 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    You have to time it correctly so that Romo career ending is about 3 years out. Now is not that time - 3 years from now yes. You don't want a top guy being ready and his contract being up while Romo is still playing at a high level.
  2. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,396 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    San Diego is not going to deal Rivers. We see over and over that teams who flop can often turn it around in a year. QBs like Rivers are hard to come by, trading one is plain stupid.
  3. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,866 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    It's stupid but it happens. Cutler dealt a few years back.
  4. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,858 Messages
    1,229 Likes Received
    Exactly. If you're giving romo a 5-6 year contract for 85-100m, you aren't drafting a QB with a high pick. Anyone we draft next year would be almost 30 by the time he starts.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,243 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    There is nothing more valuable or harder to find than a franchise QB.
  6. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,408 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    RG3 has so many people losing their minds.:bang2:

Its one game folks, ONE game! :bang2:

We've got the best QB in the division and will so for quite a few years. :star:

Now is not the time to worry about finding our own RG3.
  7. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So you want them to draft a guy in the first round that won't play for the Cowboys, ever?
  8. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,480 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    That's true -- its a very tricky business.

Take the Packers example. Had the Packers advanced from the NFC Championship game and gone to the Superbowl in 2007 would the Brett Favre have retired? Would have the Packers accepted him back from retirement?

If he had come back, Aaron Rodgers contract was up at the end of 2008 and I guarantee he would have felt snubbed enough sitting on the bench for 4 entire years that he would have left GB.

In fact, he probably would have probably would have raised such a stink they would have had to trade Rodgers away in the off-season.

In that scenario, the Packers would received very little if any value for their 2005 1st round draft pick.
  9. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,436 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    Miami just spent a top 10 pick a QB. They are not drafting a QB for the next few years at minimum.
  10. SDCowboy85

14,858 Messages
    1,229 Likes Received
    EXACTLY! You want to draft a QB around when Romo is 2-3 years from retirement. Not when he's 6 and the new guy will be 30.
  11. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,408 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    They had no choice.

If he doesnt show signs of being able to do it they will do it again real soon.
  12. SDCowboy85

14,858 Messages
    1,229 Likes Received
    The packers probably wouldn't have even drafted him if Favre wasn't talking retirment prior. They drafted him because they thought they HAD to.
  13. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Well-Known Member

866 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    This is what I want to avoid.
  14. SDCowboy85

14,858 Messages
    1,229 Likes Received
    I hear you. This coming offseason isn't the time though. Maybe in 2-3 more seasons but not now...unless they aren't actually planning on giving Tony a new (monster) contract. I don't think Romo is going to be talking retirement after this season...though behind this oline, who knows. lol
  15. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Well-Known Member

866 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  16. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,967 Messages
    1,603 Likes Received
    Never really understood the smarmy smilie reply.
  17. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    With the new rules.....

If we draft a QB and he turns out to be a real gem of a QB while waiting under Romo to play.

Wont he just hit FA to get a starting job.....and with contracts only being 4 yrs....does it make sense to draft a QB ...if Romo will be here several more years?

Just asking....
  18. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,830 Messages
    332 Likes Received

Counting on anything more then 4 years is wishful thinking, regardless of how he plays now i do not expect Romo to be here or playing at a high level 5 years from now, QBs just don't tend to last that long. We should prepare for the day he's gone so we don't have to go trough the post Aikman years again, which honestly was nothing compared to what other teams go through.
    Picking one when you need to is a great way to either burn multiple first round picks for one, end up with the likes of Jamarcus Russel, or even worse both. Do you think GB regrets spending a 1st on Rodgers 3 years before Favre retired (the first time)?
  19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,549 Messages
    1,721 Likes Received
    I'd draft a guy and sent him on the bench for 4 or 5 years. Sure.

Turned out well for Green Bay.
  20. SDCowboy85

14,858 Messages
    1,229 Likes Received
    That's completely false. QBs are playing longer now than ever. And, again, they drafted Rogers because Favre was talking about retiring otherwise I doubt they'd have spend the 1st round pick on him.