1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

We need to draft an Olineman from Hawaii

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Bob Sacamano, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Samson Satele, 4.29 short-shuttle, the differential between that and his 40 time is .90, that shows great quickness as .50 is considered quick, plus he's played OT, OG and C, and projects to both C and OG in the pros, many rate him as the #2 C, is a mean son of a gun to boot

other numbers:

1.75 10-yard dash
    7.47 3-cone drill
    25 benches

OT Dane Uperesa-6'5" 309:

5.3 40
    4.58 short shuttle- .72 differential
    1.76 10-yard dash
    28 bench presses
    33 1/2" vertical-best among Olinemen
    9'6" long-jump-2nd best
    7.66 3-cone drill

that is one explosive player

OT Tale Esera-6'3" 310:

5.33 40
    4.72 short-shuttle- .61 differential
    28 bench presses
    32 1/2" vert
    8'9" long-jump

quick and explosive as well, the best thing is that none of them have weight issues
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    We need to draft Doug Free. Among OTs he ranked:

Vert. Jump: 8th
    Broad Jump: 2nd
    Cone Drill: 1st
    Shuttle: 5th

40-time for linemen is meaningless.
  3. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    really?!! OMG:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

wait, where did I pimp any 40 times?

btw, a 9'3" long-jump is shorter than 9'6", Dale Uperesa has the 2nd best long-jump
  4. theogt

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    You kept going on about the differential betwen 40-time and shuttle.
  5. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    yeah, to show QUICKNESS

big difference, and which is much more important than straight-line speed for olinemen

btw, I like Free too, just bringing up some explosive linemen prospects that not many people are talking about
  6. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  7. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hawaii OLman are a little like Texas Tech OLman. They throw the ball so darn much it's hard to tell what you have and how their talent will translates to the pros.
  8. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    true, but at least they are prepared to play in space and these guys have the talent to do it well
  9. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I'm just wondering, under Garrett, will we go with big maulers like we did under Jimmy/Norv? We'd bring in guys like Ray Donaldson who were dominant run blockers and draft guys like Big E and LA etc...
  10. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    most say we're going to maulers, but I'm not so sure

I don't think we're going to mauling OTs
  11. theogt

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    If you're looking to measure explosiveness, or "quickness," I wouldn't include the 40 time at all.
  12. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The guys at nfldraftscout like Satele. Comparing him to Bently is pretty high praise

Compares To: LeCharles Bentley, Cleveland Browns; Like Bentley, Satele plays with true aggression and knows how to use his strong hand punch to dominate blocking in-line; He keeps his pad level down and has the short-area power base to face up and sustain; He can land and explode on defenders in closed quarters, but is inconsistent maintaining his balance when asked to block on the move.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,501 Messages
    2,023 Likes Received
    I remember when Wayne Hunter worked out like a beast, too.
  14. 5mics

5mics Next Year's Champions

1,827 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Been pimping for Esera & Uperesa in my mocks. I think they'll be available w/ our multiple later round picks.....AND it's "Tala" not "Tale" Esera..... :D
  15. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :bang2:

to measure how quick a player is, you subtract his short-shuttle time by his 40 time, any differential .50 and above is considered pretty quick, that is the formula I got a couple of years ago from a Pat Kirwan, NFL.com article, and which is best applied to linemen
  16. theogt

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    Kirwan's point was that the differential showed how much a player's quickness varied from his 40 time. His point was that if you're going to measure quickness, you should not include 40 time.
  17. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    his formula was subtracting the short-shuttle from the 40 time and the differential is what you're looking at because that shows if a player is quick, or if he's fast, anything .50 and over is considered more quick than fast
  18. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,128 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  19. theogt

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    His point was to show that just because a player has a bad 40 time doesn't mean he isn't quick.

For example

Player A has a 5.00 40-time and a 4.5 shuttle time, giving him a differential of .50.

Player B has a 4.5 40-time and a 4.01 shuttle time, giving him a differential of .51.

Which player is quicker? Obviously Player B, who has a larger differential is quicker. The problem is that 40-time and shuttle times are not perfectly proportional.

I've got the article. His overall point was to show that some players are "quick" even though they have a slow 40. In other words, when you want to determine whether a player is "quick" don't look at his 40 time.
  20. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm not looking at his 40 time!! I'm looking at the differential