1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

We need to go after a top DB, how many years has our secondary been crap now?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Blitz88, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Aliencowboy

Aliencowboy Active Member

506 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    What Dennard offers can be had in the 2nd round.

Dre Kirk and Claibourne are elite. If Dre K drops, we are really
    lucky to get him, yes, moving up a spot or two would be worth him.

Coples could drop. Decastro could be there. Either would be fine. Otherwise,
    I'd (dare I say) trade back in the first. Take Vontaze B. or Konz.

2. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Not a fan of Dennard at the 14th pick. In terms of value, he's a late 1st rounder at the earliest. Considering what will be available (Claiborne and Kirkpatrick will be gone), I'd go OLine or DLine
  3. Greatestalltime

Greatestalltime Benched

135 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jenkins is ranked 22 nd in league in burn rate. A measure if db effectiveness. Number if catches a corner allows vs balls thrown at him.
  4. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    True, but let's not forget that the Packers, Pats and Saints are probably the top three teams going into the playoffs. My thinking is -- Why not model your club after the top three teams rather than the bottom 9 playoff teams?

With so many needs on this Cowboys team, I think the Cowboys should focus on building an elite offense first .... The elite offense is a greater priority, because you can win with one of those, as evidenced by the Packers, Patriots, and Saints.
  5. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    So are the 49ers, Ravens, and Texans, why not model your club after those three which all have a very very good defense.
    An elite defense is a greater priority because you can win with one of those as evidenced by the Packers last year, the 49ers, Ravens, and Texans this year.

OUr offense isn't to far away form elite. Bring back Robinson and add a OL or two and we are there. But the defense is far and away from being elite.
  6. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,853 Messages
    504 Likes Received
    If not for the Drug issue...Janoris is the best corner in this draft....

I say we take the gamble on him....he is to good

Dre..i love his attitude..cocky as hell, and a good corner...i would be happy with either
  7. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    I agreee with you on Jenkins. The guy hasn't been in naytrouble in the past year. Only had two issues while in Florida. Not like he was arrested for fighting, DUI, beating, or rape.

I remember a draft pick Dallas could have made a few years ago, A great WR but had charcter issues and was caught with smoking some "herb" and dropped in the draft and jerry skipped on this said WR in the draft.
    I think we all know who I'm talking about.

I hope he does fall into the bottom of the first because I would trade up into the bottom of the first and grab him.
    Then I would trade some later picks and get back into the 2nd.
    If I can walk out the 2nd round with a OLB, Jenkins, and OG then I think I did pretty good.

People talk about Jenkins charcter, I don't know what that means.
    I hear he is a good teammate, good in the locker room, and plays hard every down.
  8. Greatestalltime

Greatestalltime Benched

135 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Rap is no crime. Many enjoy it.
  9. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    yeah, I meant rape, my bad
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,076 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    He is still a risk and due to that will likely fall in the draft. I don't doubt his ability as a cover guy but teams will look closely at him. While many think smoking weed is no big deal (and I agree) it is a big deal when you flunk a drug test and are suspended, it puts the team in a bind.

Leon Lett was a great player for us but did us no good when he was missing 4 games and half a season because of stupidity. If Jenkins has come to the realization that getting high is not as important as his football career then great but if he hasn't then buyer beware you knew it going in.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,181 Messages
    1,308 Likes Received
    that is where you need to drop him if there is any doubt at all. If you are SURE he understands that smoking weed can and will kill his career then maybe. But you have to be sure.
  12. Doomsday101

75,076 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    I agree. I'm not saying you don't draft I'm saying you do a lot of one on one interview sessions and you do a lot of back ground checks. If there is even the slightest indication that he is still getting high then you pass on him because it is not worth it to the team.
  13. Frozen700

11,853 Messages
    504 Likes Received
    Agreed bro....

Here he is vs a 6-4 WR...and 1 of the best coming out of college, back and forth battle, but Jenkins did good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5tH53cLW4U&feature=related

And here are his highlights...i love the way he plays..plays similar to Mike Jenkins, he is very good in man coverage, and has good reaction, also plays the ball well...we need a guy like him on the edge...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R06Kj8ACvIM&feature=related
  14. Frozen700

11,853 Messages
    504 Likes Received
    yeah...but if not, you take the chance.

I am telling you, don't go by mock draft position....this guy is the best Corner coming out...if not for the Weed, i will say this, he would be talked about as a guy who can come in, and start day 1, and compete with NFL WR's(by the media) and i believe it would be true
  15. Doomsday101

75,076 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    I don't disagree but again it really has to be looked at not just brushed aside. Once you make that move you are stuck with it. But if the team is willing to look very carefully at him and do their homework then sure. He better be squeaky clean
  16. Frozen700

11,853 Messages
    504 Likes Received
    I agree bro....

Here he is vs julio and AJ green

Damn, he is a good talent...did real well especially vs AJ green

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsHc2hr6nPo&feature=related

But like you said..i hope we see something that says he is squeaky clean
  17. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    didn't Dez drop for charcter issues and Jerry jumped all over him when he had his chance. WHy not do the same for Jenkins. If he falls to the bottom of round, then move up from round 2 and get him.
  18. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    I posted all these videos earlier, he stopped big Alshon Jeffery, AJ Green, and Julio Jones. and some how people still don't want him.
  19. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Janoris Jenkins == Pacman starter kit ... i dont want us anywhere near him.
  20. Doomsday101

75,076 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    I have seen him play and I know what kind of player he is. My only concern is what kind of man is he? Is getting high more important than an NFL career because you can't have both.