1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

We need to keep Victor Butler

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheCount, Feb 21, 2013.

1. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,910 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    I would agree from a size perspective. but Seattle plays a different defense than what kiffin does. they also have a lot of talent on DL and LBs, which allows Irvin just to rush the passer and not worry about anything else. the concern on Irvin coming out of collge was if he would hold up against the run. in their defense, he doesn't really play the run. that's not his role.
  2. CowboysFaninDC

2,910 Messages
    148 Likes Received

I am concerned about his ability in space and in those roles he would get matched up against TEs and RBs. he is not that good in turning and running with TEs or RBs. his role was very limited with dallas. come in on obvious pasisng situations and rush the passer. and some of his sacks were coverage sacks. the time spencer was hurt and he got to play extensively, he was exposed badly
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,085 Messages
    5,407 Likes Received
    There have been an array of posts about Seattle's defense being similar to Kiffin's. Also, Kiffin himself told the players to study Seattle's defense to get an idea of what he would be implementing.
  4. CowboysFaninDC

2,910 Messages
    148 Likes Received

every one thinks kiffin is going to run his tampa cover 2 defense, but he doesn't have the personnel to do that. also we can't think kiffin is boxed into one idea. My post may not have clearly indicated that. what I meant is the tampa cover 2 (which kiffin ran in tampa and then dungy in Indy). Kiffin is probably open minded to change his defense and adapt to his personnel (or so I hope). what tampa ran with him a few years back is similar yet different than seattle. what he probably is referring to is an attacking defense, which seattle does. seattle doesn't play the cover 2 defense, with CBs playing tight coverage and the front 7 attacking and not allowing the QB much time to make throws. they have the shut down corners that allows them to do that.

regardless of the defense, if you look at all the good defenses, it starts with the DL and front 7. it takes talent to pull it off. what seattle is running is more similar to what dallas ran back in the 90s. with haley attacking the QB (ala Irvin), deep and talented front 7. playing some tight coverage like they used Smith and roaming Safties in woodson
  5. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,366 Messages
    4,219 Likes Received
    I'm not a huge fan but I just don't know the guy. I know he has the talent to rush the passer although he's not developed many moves. That's probably because he doesn't have the strength and/or technique to bull rush and either doesn't have or we didn't see enough snaps to see an inside move or spin move.

This guy is more of a Will IMO although I tend to agree with you about his coverage abilities. However, I'm not certain. My guess is someone will pay more for his services than we will. If not then they'll offer him some low contract likely with incentives and let him compete at LB and/or DE.
  6. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,572 Messages
    551 Likes Received
    Victor Butler doesn't offer anything more than a draft pick would offer at a much cheaper price. No sense in extending a JAG when you can match his production with any number of guys coming out of college.

If he gets a new contract it needs to come from another team.
  7. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,398 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    just like Romo, we need to start finding the next starting pass rusher
  8. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,450 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I'm not defending Butler here and don't thinkin he's worth anyhting more than a bsci one year min type deal. But I'm pretty sure he had a groin injury (or a hammy)at the end of the year. I'm positive he was out with it in the last game. It was questionable as to whether he'd play (turns out he didn't)

So it was a hobbled Ware over a (possible somewhat less) hobbled Butler
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,140 Messages
    1,113 Likes Received
    I don't know about that. We've seen repeatedly that the stars of this team are allowed to play as long as they are willing and the doctors give the green light. You think they'd tell Ware he couldn't play if they let Witten play with a damaged spleen and Romo play with broken ribs?

Especially in favor of another injured, lesser player? How would that look?
  10. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Butler looks like a guy that Dallas would regret letting go. I suspect he could flourish somewhere else if used properly
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    Used properly? He's been used as a situational pass rusher and never done anything his entire career.
  12. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

1,031 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    I actually believe he could challenge for the starting spot at strong side linebacker.
  13. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,988 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    Perhaps that was what got Rob fired. ;)
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,140 Messages
    1,113 Likes Received
    He's too slow, I think.
  15. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I think YOU might be suprised at what kind of contract Butler would get in FA.

He's done absoultely NOTHING in the NFL so far.
  16. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,140 Messages
    1,113 Likes Received
    Your definition of "nothing" is rather fanciful. :laugh2:
  17. Typhus

Typhus aka...golden

987 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Lee projects as a natural fit at MLB, but another possible option is moving Lee to SOLB, and finding a MLB in free agency.

I like the idea of having Carter and Lee outside with their speed and playmaking ability, until the safties are upgraded.
  18. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,049 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    Butler is gone.

He's the fourth guy on the outside behind Carter, Albright, and Wilber. Not paying a backup to a backup big money.

And he absolutely blows against the run.
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,085 Messages
    5,407 Likes Received
    Pass-rushing is the one area where he has been a decent player. Why move him to a non-pass-rushing position?
  20. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    What has he done in 4 years to earn any kind of substantial contract? He's played 4 years and has 89 total tackles, most of them on ST's. His best year, he had 25 total tackles and 3 sacks.. while barely getting any playing time. He's a nobody, who is easily replaced if we decide to get rid of him.