1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

We Saw Today What a Good OL Can Do For a QB and Team

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Jan 6, 2013.

1. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,899 Messages
    2,075 Likes Received
    Foreskins and Seabags both have a running game so they have effective QB's.

2 rookie QB's in the playoffs getting rave reviews.

RG3 for the most part had all the time in the world. Sure he was hurt. Sure he didnt do a whole lot TODAY. It was the OL that got them to the playoffs. Same for Seattle.

Morris is from FAU in Boca Raton - its basically a community college. He wasnt some magical Shanahan find. He's running behind an OL.

The difference between these 2 teams and Red's Boys is the coaching and the OL.
  2. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,704 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Ahh a strong solid OL can make your coaching look a lot better. Just sayin!!
  3. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,899 Messages
    2,075 Likes Received
    True, and wise coaches get a good OL.
  4. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,110 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    There was an absolutely wonderful reaction in NFL front-office and coaching staffs this offseason.... they all looked at the crazy off the chart passing fireworks from last season and decided that the best counter balance to the beavy of 90+ QB ratings, 5000 yard passers, 40 TD throwers, etc is running the ball.

Last year I thought the league was going to hell and becoming the Arena league. I hated it.

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the fact that teams like the 49ers, Redskins, Seahawks, Vikings, and Texans all made it to the playoffs with big-time running games.

I'd be even happy if one of those teams (obviously not the Redskins) wins the Superbowl and proves it.
  5. Mansta54

9,704 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    I think the coaching staff and scouting dept will get that done, it just doesn't happen overnite and it isn't always a smooth process.
  6. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,058 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Me too. I haven't bought into the hype about going pass happy being the new NFL and the most effective way to run a team. There is no substitute for a good running game, granted some teams have managed to do well without it. A lot more teams have done well with it, and we've seen a lot more fails due to a lack of running game than the other way around.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    Love the added run game too, but not liking the odds of finding a Super Bowl winner out of that group
  8. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    We just had a thread yesterday telling us we can't bring up our poor OL play. And here you go posting this, making sense, and basically understanding football.

What the hell were you thinking?
  9. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,110 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    If the Packers win the SB with their absolutely pathetic OL and running back who was selling used cars 6 weeks ago, that will damage the "you need a running game" argument and that a great QB is worth 10x a great RB in the modern NFL game theory.

We'll see what happens. Personally, I don't think the Packers are going to get past the 49ers this week.
  10. Reverend Conehead

1,058 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    LOL. I know. I saw that thread and thought it was ridiculous. It would be hard to think of anything more relevant to talk about than upgrading our O-line. I have absolutely no doubt if we had had a quality o-line this season, we would have been a playoff team.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    Oops. I meant NOT liking the odds

Then again, SF and Seattle are both capable of making it there.....I guess the Giants proved in 2007 that once you get there anything can happen.
  12. Parcells4Life

Parcells4Life Active Member

672 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    Last year MJD led the NFL in rushing and the Jaguars were atrocious.

This year Peterson was the 2nd best runner in NFL history and the Vikings barely made the playoffs.

Having a running game is nice, because it shortens the game, but by no means is it necessary.

This is becoming more and more a qb league and runningbacks can be taken in the 3rd-6th rounds. They are a dime a dozen.

OL is important not because it gives the team a better run game, but because it keeps the quarterback off the ground. Even then Rodgers showed as long as you keep getting up you can even survive that.
  13. Reverend Conehead

1,058 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    It depends what kind of team you have and especially what kind of QB you have. Romo has been shown to be vulnerable when we're lopsided toward the pass. We did much, much better this season when DeMarco Murray returned to take pressure off him. In other words, Romo's a good QB, but he's not Peyton Manning. You can't ask him to throw 70% of the time and expect to have a good game. A good running game also helps enormously when facing a QB who can shred your D and whom you want to keep on the bench. For example: Drew Brees. If you're able to grind it out with the run and get first downs and pig up all the time on the clock, the other team's wonderboy QB has to spend all that time sitting.

In short, some teams have been successful without a good running game, but you're still more likely to do well with one. Especially the Cowboys.
  14. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,475 Messages
    401 Likes Received
    If only our coach was the one who decides who we get and who we pass up. :rolleyes:
  15. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,141 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Good lines? I thought Wilson did a tremendous job despite being sacked 5 times...
  16. Mansta54

9,704 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Oh I'm certain he has a major influence on who plays OL for him. If you think otherwise then you're fooling yourself.
  17. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,738 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    I don't really care if GB gets there or not but I think Rogers is a he'll of a qb, but if they do happen to get there behind that line and running game ROMO will catch he'll on this board. I don't want to see that honestly.
  18. DavidAK

DavidAK New Member

796 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    First it was Bill Parcells; the game passed him by,Terrell Owens; he was a team cancer, then it was Wade Phillips; he was too soft and now it's starting to look like it's Jason Garrett..

There is always someone to blame. But you know who has been here since Bill Parcells? Tony Romo. Maybe he should get some blame. Sucks going through coaches and players to be right back in the same spot year after year. I hope they don't fire Garrett or Rob Ryan. As I hope they don't extend Romo. Let him play out the season and make him earn it. I'm not blaming Romo for everything but he sure gets a mighty pass around this forum.
  19. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,117 Messages
    637 Likes Received
    Unreal...good olines my backside.

The Foreskins run the ball really well because of the threat of RGIII. The Seahawks cannot pass protect, they're lucky they have Wilson back there or they would have triple the sacks. True, the 'Hawks run the ball well but much of their success comes late because there defense keeps them in a lot of games affording them the opportunity to keep running Lynch.

There is nothing great about either offensive line, and if you're going to hold them up as gold standards as to how to build an oline you should look at the way they are composed. Plenty of FA's, late picks and waiver claims on both units, they've had the good fortune of both being pretty healthy all year as well.
  20. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,939 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Which forum are you reading?