1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

We Saw Today What a Good OL Can Do For a QB and Team

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Jan 6, 2013.

1. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,071 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    See my post above.
  2. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,956 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    McQuistan was a waiver pickup-nice try. Fifth team in five years.
    Will Mongotmery-waivers...fourth team in four years. Nice try.

How is this group any different than the Cowboys talent wise??? It's not-the biggest difference is the schemes, OC, and most importantly QB.

Glad you come around again only when defending other teams olines.

I can use Aaron Rodgers and the Packers again as an example of what a REAL OC and QB can do for an oline, but I won't.
  3. IrishAnto

1,071 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    He was still a 3rd round pick.

And what about the other 1st and 2nd rounders. They don't count?

Nice try!
  4. Oh_Canada

5,956 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    Ok than.

Cook-2nd rd pick
    Nate Livings-FA
    Bernardeau-7th
    Smith-1st rd
    Free-3rd rd.

How many second/third round lineman have the Cowboys picked? Thought you said those shouldn't be considered high picks? Could have sworn you said other teams castaways aren't a way to solve the oline?? Or does it only apply to other teams?

I just find it funny that a team whose oline blew last year and gained Trent Williams but lost Jamaal Brown is suddenly an oline the Cowboys should emulate.
  5. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,720 Messages
    1,565 Likes Received
    I hear you, however, I think the Aaron Rodgers example isn't a great one and I tell you why:

Some day NFL stats geeks will pour of Aaron Rodgers stats with sheer amazement and wonder how the heck the QB with the highest QB rating in the history of the NFL was also the most sacked QB in the league at the same.

Logic would tell you the most sacked QB in the league would have an absolutely terrible QB rating and the teams he was playing on would have sucked.

In otherwords, I'm not sure we've ever seen a QB in the history of the league who has ever done what Rodgers is doing. Lots of the credit goes to McCarthy.

Having said that, to say "well, the Packers offense still performs despite a shoddy OL and no running game so ours should to" is akin in my mind to pointing to a 1 in 1000 statically anomaly and saying "well, look, it IS possible".
  6. Oh_Canada

5,956 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    I completely agree. However using the Redskins as some sort of example of a great oline are delusional. Take Griffin out of the equation and that's an ordinary line. Wilson got sacked five times yesterday, had that been Romo people would have been calling to replace everyone and Callahan to boot...even if Murray runs for 120yds.
    My point isn't to improve the oline, but rather letting them grow organically and maybe adding an olineman in the draft (1-3 rd) or a decent FA. Some people think the Cowboys need to draft three lineman in order to improve and I just don't see it that way. Not at the expense of the dline and pass rush which I think are more important issues for this team.
  7. IrishAnto

1,071 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    At least get your facts right.

Where did I say they shouldn't be considered high picks?

You were inferring the Seahawks and Redskins lines were largely made up of
    Free Agents and cast-offs.

I rebutted your assertion.

This had little to do with the Cowboys.

However since you bring it up.

Free was a 4th rounder and in the last few games was splitting time with Jeremy Parnell who was an undrafted former Basketball player.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    Careful.

Truth and facts are not allowed here.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,516 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    The Redskins have 1 player drafted in the top 3 rounds.
    Dallas has 3.

The talk about investment along the OL has never broken well for the crybabies on here.

Dallas invests plenty in the OL it simply misevaluated talent.
    On the other end of the spectrum it has underspent on it's 3 man DL but gotten great production from low round picks and UDFA.

Washington's OL got a whole lot better when they added RG3 and Morris.

Nice try in minimizing Morris because he was an UDFA but so was Tony Romo. I watched Morris enough to know he can really play. He abused our guys after he got to the edge or second level and that had very little to do with blocking.

Neither of those OLs looked that good last night. Washington dominated that Seattle OL and Seattle also struggled to protect Wilson.

Both of those teams got great coverage from their secondary and had very good defenses. Wilson didn't even hit 200 yards passing but when Washington failed to score more than 14 and couldn't really even get 1st downs after the 1st quarter it didn't take a lot of offense from Seattle.
  10. IrishAnto

1,071 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    Name them.
  11. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,755 Messages
    1,283 Likes Received
    We saw what a good OL can do for a team and QB for glimpses of the game, I agree.

I think if you look at the Ravens game, you would probably get an even better understanding of how a solid OL combined with play-calling (Play Action, in particular) can really put a defense on its heels.

All that said, (and I really hate to be 'that' guy) I just don't think that a great offensive line will save Romo from his brain farts on big stages.

Doesn't mean I don't want to upgrade our OL, I certainly do. But if Romo is in the same position he was on that last drive against the Redskins, I don't think there's much the OL can do for him.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,516 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    tyron smith
    derrick dockery
    ryan cook

they also have round 4
    doug free
    david arkin
  13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,516 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    There is little doubt the OL needs to be better.

Whether that is like Washington and means getting better after a year together or adding a key starter to strength a pedestrian group it can certainly be better. And anytime you improve any group on the team you get better.

But any improve the OL at all costs people are simply not smart football people.

Using gimmick offenses the Seahags and Skins did quite well this year. But you don't claim wildcat success as a reason to build a dominant OL and you don't claim the same for this new read option stuff. It is short-term stuff.

RG3 will likely do less and less of it each week. We will see if Wilson even keeps his job in a few seasons.

Dallas lost to Washington because it was terrible on defense versus the run. We had a MASH unit on the field and our best players were either on IL or playing hurt.

This is still a passing league. But you'll always be better if you can do both and keep defenses honest.

Minny has the best back in football and a very good OL. They managed really 3 points in the playoff game. (the other 7 was late, game over fluff).
  14. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    We also saw what a great defense can do. Or an injury can do. Or good coaching can do. Or what a great QB (on Sat night) can do.

Next weekend, we'll get to see more of what a great QB can do for a team. In a playoff setting.
  15. IrishAnto

1,071 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    I see you left out Chris Chester 2nd round pick for the Skins in your comparison and since you're going to the 4th how about adding Kory Lichtensteiger as well.

And David Arkin isn't a starter since this is what the thread is about, in fact he never sees the field.

However since my original post and this thread is about last nights teams then I'm not sure why you’re suggesting I'm bringing up the cowboys?

I'm happy to discuss that in another thread.
  16. Oh_Canada

5,956 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    I find it laughable you point to the Paul McQuistan's and Wil Montgomery's of the world as the way to build an oline but scoff at the Cowboys for doing the same.

The Skins oline was horrible with similar talent/players a year ago. They would be viewed as horrible this year if RGIII was playing on another team, and the great sixth round RB would probably be a practice squad player.

You really going to tell me Alfred Morris runs for almost five yds per carry with Kirk Cousins sitting behind center? I wish RGIII misses a few games next year and we'll see how many people are writing threads about how great the Skins oline is without Griffin scaring the be****** out of every defensive front they face?
  17. IrishAnto

1,071 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    I find it laughable you’ve moved what I said about the Skins and Seahawks on to the Cowboys.

Clearly you’ve not got the ability to keep to a topic or point out where in my original post I mentioned the Cowboys.

But then I don’t expect much from you so I shouldn’t be surprised.
  18. Oh_Canada

5,956 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    I'm sticking to the original theme of the thread, the one you are DEFENDING.

We'll keep tabs for next year, because if RGIII is out for an extended period, maybe we can analyze how great the Redskins oline is with Cousins behind center.
  19. IrishAnto

1,071 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    Good boy. You do that.
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,516 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    I can't agree largely because Romo puts up just as good numbers ALMOST as Rodgers with an OL we are all constantly told is worse than most Pop Warner teams.

And the Giants won a SB last year with a bad OL.