1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Weekly Mock v.1

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by LatinMind, Feb 3, 2013.

1. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,570 Messages
    1,575 Likes Received
    RD1
    Trade down with a team wanting Te'o or one of the DTs. Pick up a 3rd and 7th

RD1 Datone Jones DE UCLA
    Jones would be the bigger type DE Dallas needs with passrush ability. Big enough to play the strong side aswell.

Rd2 Larry Warford G Kentucky
    Big body and allows Mack to move inside to C. Or stay at Guard. Able to do what Mack and Livings cant, and thats constantly get to the 2nd level.

RD3 Phillip Thomas S Fresno State
    Good all around safety. Can cover, and hit. But the best thing about him is he just knows how to come up with turnovers.

RD3 Jordan Hill DT PSU
    Active and tough DT good to rotate with Dallas' core of DTs

RD4 Kyle Long T Oregon
    Guy needs work but its clear he has the talent.

RD5 Kenjon Barner RB Oregon
    Can change the pace from the RB spot but can also spot start. Smaller Rb but runs bigger than you think.

RD6 Michael Williams TE Bama
    Big TE, great blocker.

RD7 Braxston Cave C ND
    Needs some work in the gym, little weak for somebody thats said to be a gym rat. I think it might be more with his technique.

UDFA
    Marquis Jackson DE Portland State
    Devin Smith CB Wisconsin
    Kapron Lewis-Moore DT ND
    Nathan Williams LB OSU
  2. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,858 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    I could live with this. I'm not sold on Phillip Thomas though.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,665 Messages
    4,219 Likes Received
    RD1
    Trade down with a team wanting Te'o or one of the DTs. Pick up a 3rd and 7th
    OK.

RD1 Datone Jones DE UCLA
    Good player. If Warmack/Cooper are gone, then this player plus some extra picks would be perfect.

Rd2 Larry Warford G Kentucky
    I like Warford although he might not be a perfect scheme (ZBS) fit. It might be nit-picking, but he stated that he thought he could only play RG. Normally I would not be concerned; however, I'm convinced that they need a veteran RG next to Parnell.

RD3 Phillip Thomas S Fresno State
    Good all around safety. Can cover, and hit. But the best thing about him is he just knows how to come up with turnovers.
    Good pick. Turnovers seem to be the trait that separates him from some other Safeties.

RD3 Jordan Hill DT PSU
    He might be a great pick for the 3-tech. He would not be a fit anywhere that he has to take on double-teams, but in Kiffin's scheme the 3-tech is isolated on the Guard and not subject to double team blocks.

RD4 Kyle Long T Oregon
    He projects to OG due to short arms. At OG he is tall and thin (6-6, 304). A lot of tall OGs have difficulty with leverage if they are not huge (i.e. players like Kyle Cook).

Character issues need to be checked out also.

RD5 Kenjon Barner RB Oregon
    I'll be surprised if he does not get picked in the 4th round unless he runs slower than expected at the combine/pro-day.

RD6 Michael Williams TE Bama
    I like this player. Good blocker.

RD7 Braxston Cave C ND
    This would be a decent pick in the 7th, but not in the 3rd/4th where I've seen him in some other mocks. Something about him reminds me of Costa, but at least he has good arm length (33.25").

UDFA
    Marquis Jackson DE Portland State
    Devin Smith CB Wisconsin
    Kapron Lewis-Moore DT ND
    Nathan Williams LB OSU

Good UDFA selections. I'm not sure why Lewis-Moore is rated so low. He was a starter on a Big Time College Defense.

Good overall draft. Change Kyle Long to Brennen Williams and it would be great.

4. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,570 Messages
    1,575 Likes Received
    Lewis-Moore tore his ACL in the BCS title game. He wont get drafted but he wont be struggling for work. He will get picked up quick. They say he should be ready until july. Moore would be a great pickup as a UDFA.

Kyle Long i like by pure pedigree. He isnt ready right now but in a yr or 2 he should be ready to start somewhere. If thats guard then thats even better because he is athletic enough to pull.

I really dont think Dallas will draft a G in round 1. Plain and simple. Especially with them needing a DE, DT, S. They could and would probably take a T over G in round 1 IMO.

M Williams is a TE i love. The guy has the ability to catch, but his specialty is Blocking. Great Great pickup for goal line situation.

Barner IMO his size is going to keep him in a lower round. And he isnt going to blaze any 40 time either. The guy is quick rather than fast. Beats people with angles rather than speed.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,665 Messages
    4,219 Likes Received
    Lewis-Moore tore his ACL in the BCS title game. He wont get drafted but he wont be struggling for work. He will get picked up quick. They say he should be ready until july. Moore would be a great pickup as a UDFA.
    I forgot about the injury, but he was ranked low before the injury for some reason. I think he can contribute to an NFL team.

Kyle Long i like by pure pedigree. He isnt ready right now but in a yr or 2 he should be ready to start somewhere. If thats guard then thats even better because he is athletic enough to pull.
    The Mannings have a 3rd brother...

I really dont think Dallas will draft a G in round 1. Plain and simple. Especially with them needing a DE, DT, S. They could and would probably take a T over G in round 1 IMO.
    I expect the top 3 OTs to be gone by #18. I'm not even sure who the 4th OT would be (Bakhtiari, Watson, Fluker?), but I don't think the 4th OT is worth taking at #18.

M Williams is a TE i love. The guy has the ability to catch, but his specialty is Blocking. Great Great pickup for goal line situation.

Barner IMO his size is going to keep him in a lower round. And he isnt going to blaze any 40 time either. The guy is quick rather than fast. Beats people with angles rather than speed.
  6. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    D Jones at DE is really an interesting player. I could see him going anywhere from around the pick 18 area to the mid/late 20s in Round 1.

From what I can make out, his college staff at UCLA used him all over the DL. Let's assume for a second that we keep Spencer, on passing downs you could possibly even move Jones inside on occasion to make mismatches.

Of course, he could also rush from the DE position and would be great in a rotation.

I'm thinking that DE may be more of a necessity than DT, especially given that we have Ratliff, Hatcher, Lissemore, and Crawford. Then also maybe Spears, Ben Bass, and Price can make a push too for depth purposes.

Ideally, I agree you take Jones with a trade down, but I don't think you could trade down too far.
  7. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,570 Messages
    1,575 Likes Received
    I think a team like Pittsburgh could jump up. Especially with the Giants right behind Dallas. They need a MLB. i dont think Jones' Stock has driven him inside the top 20. Maybe later it will but he was a solid round 2 pick. Right now i think hes borderline 1-2
  8. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Unless someone drops to us at 18, I think this could be a good draft to trade back anywhere between 3-8 slots.

I think another interesting guy later in Round 1 is DJ Fluker at OG - not necessarily at OT - though he could provide depth at RT in a pinch.

If we could trade down, pick up an extra 3rd rounder, for example, we can still get a DL, Safety, and maybe even another OL in Round 3 (OT or OC) all by the end of Day 2. We could get many of our needs filled with hopefully quality players.
  9. Goldenrichards83

Goldenrichards83 Active Member

1,612 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What I love about this mock is you have multiple picks on the dline within the the first 4 picks which is what we really need to do. Not crazy about the safety and I don't think Warford makes it to our pick in the 2nd.