1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Weird Mouse problem...

Discussion in 'CZ Support Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Nov 17, 2005.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,792 Messages
    2,862 Likes Received
    This has never happened to me in the many years I have been on computers.

I have had this optical mouse at work for close to a year...never a problem with it in the past.

However two times today I have went on break, came back and when to left click with the mouse and have been shocked...like a static shock, a loud pop and I feel it.
    Then the mouse dies...just locks up but everything else works fine.

I have to unplug and restart the computer before it will work again.

Odd thing is I touch the door handle and do not get a shock and only take a couple of steps to my computer so I doubt it has time for static to build back up that quickly.

So I just changed the mouse out.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had that problem or has ever even heard of it.
  2. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's been a while since you posted this but I've seen it before.

Actually I've seen it a couple of times... once when I was a tech and it was because of a short inside the mouse and the other time I don't know what was causing it, but it went away when I stopped using mouse pads and would just sit the mouse on the computer desk top instead

Now... if I could just figure out why my cordless mouse released the genies "magic smoke" the other day, smelt like burning wires but continued to work. I took it apart and there were no burn marks, melts, shorts, etc... I'm still using it and the genie is back in it's bottle... but I can't figure out why it smoked in the first place... And no it didn't just have fun with the optical mouse and need a cigarette... :D
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,792 Messages
    2,862 Likes Received
    I replaced it with another optical mouse...and occasional still have a static pop, but this mouse never locks up so maybe the other did have a short.

Funny thing is I still use the other mouse on the other computer in my office and have not had a problem at all with it since the switch.