1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Werder: Cowboys Leaning Towards Norv for OC

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LittleD, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,660 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    I don't mind that much of us getting norv as much as getting kiffin. that would be awful. I just don't like how jerry still lives in the past.
  2. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,307 Messages
    781 Likes Received
    Gotta agree here , personally sometimes you wanna play hard for an old geezer . They have experience in big games kiffin and norv both have experience winning superbowls I wouldn't be opposed at all .
  3. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    lets get Wanny and put the band back together!! woooooooooo!!
  4. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,385 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    Garrett and Norv run the same system. This isn't a move designed to change the offense, it's a move designed to allow Red to focus solely on being the head coach.
  5. ykc

ykc Active Member

600 Messages
    40 Likes Received

Monte was well respected when they won the SB, but the leagues has changed significanlty towards passing offense with 3 -4 WR sets and TE packages. I am not sure how well the old system works for the new offenses (pistol, option, spread), so I will be concerned if we hire Monte
  6. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,523 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    The issue is definitely playcalling. The talent is there except for the oline but the playcalling at the beginning of games, inside the red zone, clock management is terrible. That to me is an issue with Garrett trying to coach the game, game situations and call plays. He can't do it. In 2 1/2 seasons he has proven he can't do it. Bring someone in to call the plays and let Garrett worry about coaching the game: when to call timeouts, when to throw the challenge flag, etc. It is too much for Garrett.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,515 Messages
    9,686 Likes Received
    But he doesn't want to focus solely on being a head coach. He wants to run his offense.

Anytime management is telling the head coach how to run his team, you have a debacle on your hands.
  8. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,942 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    I would not be thrilled with this move at all. Tell me how this works in Romo's favor? It's the same offense that JG runs. Norv has been a complete failure since leaving Dallas outside of his what 1-2 years he spent in SF? Really what changes? What changes on the line? what blocking are they going to run? What is going to be the staple of this offense that is different than JG? Honestly after 6 years of JG do you really believe Romo is a great timing based QB? I am not so sure he is. I think the elements of a WCO fits Romo, quick routes quick reads move around in the pocket mixed with zone blocking. I think Miles would benefit from the WCO and so would a guy like Hanna. I don't see what you gain bringing in Norv maybe I am missing something here.
  9. Risen Star

22,515 Messages
    9,686 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,625 Likes Received
    Maybe JG's sincere in that he'll take any opportunity to improve the team because that's his primary responsibility. He might think he's a great play caller, but Norv is one of the few who's clearly better. In that context, he can bring him in without any debacle whatsoever. If Norv wants to come here, that is.
  11. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,108 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received

About what Norv did for Phillips Rivers the last couple of years... Not that different than Dallas if not a bit worse.
  12. mldardy

7,523 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    So the talent isn't there on offense.

Maybe you should be doing this [IMG] in the mirror.
  13. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,639 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    This nailed it.

There is nothing wrong with norv being the OC. he is clearly qualified in such a position.

the only problem is it undermines the guy that should be in charge.
  14. Risen Star

22,515 Messages
    9,686 Likes Received
    If the talent isn't there along the OL, which is what you said, then the talent isn't there on offense.

It's like a contractor telling you the house is sound except for the foundation.
  15. mldardy

7,523 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    Since Norv has been in San Diego their offense has been in the top 5 every year except this season. So no Norv wasn't a complete failure since leaving Dallas. You cite what he did in SF as what he's done best. :rolleyes: No.
  16. mldardy

7,523 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    Good Lord dude, the talent is there at the skill positions. If you wanted to make the point that the talent isn't there on the oline that's fine but overall it is there. Most of the teams in this league have average to below average olines these days and seem to manage just fine. People like you blame the oline for the sole failure of this team way too much. The talent is there, the coaching/coordinating/playcalling isn't.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,625 Likes Received
    I don't think that's an entirely fair comparison. To start, Norv was in a different role in SD than he was in here. And SD made some questionable moves with their passing game personnel the last few years.

Over his career, Norv's built a reputation as an excellent play caller and for doing a good job with his QBs.
  18. Risen Star

22,515 Messages
    9,686 Likes Received
    If you don't have NFL talent along the OL, the skill positions become irrelevant. Most of the teams are not like this one. As evidenced by our pathetic rushing numbers.
  19. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    And I'm sure losing Vincent Jackson may have contributed to SD moving down in the offensive rankings.

Norv is a good OC....better than Garrett and I don't think it undermines Garrett's authority. Hell Shanahan is an offensive coach and his son is his OC.
  20. RGKN33

RGKN33 New Member

78 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And the misery continues . thanks jerry !