1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Werder: Cowboys Leaning Towards Norv for OC

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LittleD, Jan 10, 2013.

1. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,524 Messages
    1,133 Likes Received
    Where has his team been every year? How has that worked out for Rivers? Sorry not buying Norv is the difference maker and going to be this big help to Romo. Think about it like this Rivers is much more similar to Aikman in terms of accuracy arm strength etc... Norv couldn't get it done with him. Yet he has a QB(Romo) who is nothing like the 2 mentioned and you expect him to make Romo in to a prolific timing based QB with a weaker arm? Sorry I don't see how this helps Romo he has already been running this offense for 6 years and hasn't been able to get it anywhere(playoffs, consistency). It's like a truck on a dirt road just spinning the tires and hitting the gas thinking it's going to move when really all you are doing is digging a deeper hole. That's what Dallas is doing if Norv is brought in.
  2. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,908 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    So why bring in Norv?
  3. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,455 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    That's fairly selective. Why not include all of Norv's time with Rivers?
  4. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,329 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    Just because I don't want to go to work everyday doesn't mean very much
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,416 Messages
    8,312 Likes Received
    I fail to see your logic.

Are you saying forcing your head coach to run the team a certain way isn't an issue?
  6. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,653 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    NFL talent?:confused: We have NFL talent along the OL otherwise they wouldn't be in the NFL. Is it good quality NFL talent? No but it is NFL talent. The skill positions obviously weren't irrelevant. A qb that threw for almost 5000 yards and a 90 qb rating, two receivers and a TE with over 900 yards receiving, two with over 1000. The starting running back that missed half the season and when he was healthy and given the opportunity to run produced some decent results.

Yes most teams aren't like ours. Most teams don't have 2-3 good WRs, an All Pro te and a top 10-15 qb. Some teams have worse olines than we do. So yeah most teams aren't like ours. How many games were lost this year solely based on our oline. And no I'm not cheerleading this oline what I'm saying is our oline isn't the reason why are qb turned the ball over 20 times this season and why at times our defense couldn't stop anybody.
  7. Risen Star

21,416 Messages
    8,312 Likes Received
    The run game wasn't much different with Murray on or off the field. We are the worst rushing team in football and the worst we've ever been. The reason for that is entirely due to the lack of NFL talent along the offensive line. To sit here and think that doesn't matter because of shiny names at the skill positions is just wrong.

I can't think of a single team in the league with less talent along the OL than the Cowboys.
  8. dstew60105

dstew60105 Active Member

1,770 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Our rushing attacked sucked, but to say it was the same with Murray isn't paying attention. The whole offense improved when he returned.
  9. Risen Star

21,416 Messages
    8,312 Likes Received
    It did?

In the five games in December when Murray returned we rushed for a combined 399 yards. Or 79.8 yards a game.

Our average for the season was 79.1 yards per game.

Any improvement was very marginal. Still pathetic.
  10. mldardy

6,653 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    Lack of talent, not lack of NFL talent.

Anyway I'm not going back and forth on this issue. You feel we don't need a new coordinator I feel we do. If you like waiting until the second half to score or to score a TD or to get to double digits than Garrett is your guy.
  11. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Active Member

1,236 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Norv doesn't run the same exact system as Garrett ... Garrett mixes in more west coast stuff but it's close. However, Norv definately calls a different game with more focus on the running game. I'm all for Norv being the OC if that's what he wants.

It may cut Garret's authority a bit but I think he can over come that and it may help him overall. He may now be able to exert more authority over in different areas of the team by freeing himself from so much work on the offensive side.

I'm all for Norv.
  12. Risen Star

21,416 Messages
    8,312 Likes Received
    I feel your offense can't have the talent "except for OL". Because when the OL has no talent, the offense doesn't have the talent.

It's like saying the car should run great, except for the motor.

Fix the OL. Then watch Garrett become an offensive savant.
  13. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    That would be great.
  14. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Absolutely.
  15. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

787 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I wouldn't say the OL is void of talent. What I would say is that our OL is sub par and given how our playbook is currently made up it fits very poorly with our 'talent'. Too many of the play calls ask the OL to do things they absolutely cannot do on a consistent basis. I do agree that if the OL was fixed JG would suddenly look like he turned a corner when really it's just that we can finally execute what the play calls for.
  16. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,521 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Garrett has produced top 10 offenses twice in his short tenor.

this is all with an inept GM above him.

careful what you wish for is all I have to say.
  17. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I see what you are saying, but maybe Garrett has agreed to bring in another OC? He said that he would re-evaluate what is going on and do what is best for the team, and that begins with evaluating himself. If he is truly honest with himself and concedes that he is part of the problem, then I am sure he would want to bring in someone he is familiar with like Norv to run the offense.
  18. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,521 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    I imagine he did agree.

"hire an OC, or your fired".
  19. mldardy

6,653 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    Wishing for a better offense. Yeah I'll definitely do that.

What does an inept Gm have to do with calling a horrible offensive game plan. Seems like everyone is pointing the finger at everything else regarding the offense except the coach and the person calling the players.
  20. mldardy

6,653 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    Maybe but he can't do both. My problem with Garrett is trying to do both managing/coaching the game and trying to call plays. If he wants to be strictly o-coordinator with a fixed oline he might be better. What gives me hesitation is he gets so infatuated with the pass that he forgets about the situation. The prime example is the end of the Giants game when he had 2nd and 1 and he passes 3 times. At not just simple slant patterns but trying to get 10 yards when you only need 1. That could be what I just said and that is he can't handle coaching the game and calling plays or that could be he is a poor play caller. We won't know until he gives up one or the other.