1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Werder: Cowboys Leaning Towards Norv for OC

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LittleD, Jan 10, 2013.

1. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    not trying to be a part of this.... but if we had an "Average" or "slightly" below average Oline we would be in the playoffs right now. possibly coming off a bye week.

with that being said, Garrett has serious issues with coordinating and play calling evidenced by his ridiculous amount of 1st half/3 quarter droughts, adjusting, and clutch game clock management. that isnt all Oline talent based. that is all.
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    We could have a coaching staff with the most AARP members. Is that a good thing?
  3. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,589 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    Oh great. If we get Norv, instead of our offense getting going in the 2nd half of games, it won't be until the 2nd half of the season.
  4. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,437 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    I think people just love to hate. Norv would be able to take Garrett's offense and build on it. He would be up in the booth figuring out how best to attack the defense instead of Garrett having to do that on the sideline while also trying to run the team.

I see nothing negative about it. Are there some other good coordinators Dallas could go after? Sure. But hiring Norv is definitely a step up from where we were this last season.
  5. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,676 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Rivers had no talent around him - terrible o-line, Gates is slower than death and a shell of his former self, the one good receiver they had - Jackson - left, I live in SD and Montana in his prime would not have had success with the Chargers offensive supporting cast.

This was not Norv's fault. AJ Smith destroyed that team and made one bad decision after another on player personnel.
  6. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,141 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Norv Turner is the best offensive coordinator in football... The guy is a genius at attacking defenses.
  7. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,058 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    We've already got an excellent OC, but Garrett doesn't let him call the plays. I've been wishing Garrett would wise up and delegate play calling to Callahan. I don't think we need Norv. Callahan's the guy.
  8. CowboysYanksLakers

4,141 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Garrett doesn't want a West Coast type of offense...
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Every young unproven coach is a gamble for every organization. No team has the "resources" to just go out to the brilliant young OC tree and pick one off the tree. There's a hell of a lot more Mike Mularkey's who don't pan out than Sean Payton's who do (and Sean Payton didn't start to pan out until his later in his career). For starters, most of a most offensive coach's success is directly dependant on whether or not they have a QB, so you're gambling that the OC is making the QB rather than vice versa. I'm assuming the Cowboys don't want to spend Romo's last years on a blind gamble.
  10. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,534 Messages
    2,107 Likes Received
    I would be happy with Norv. If all he has to do is run an offense, we will see a huge improvement in production.
  11. CowboysYanksLakers

4,141 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Exactly...
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I don't know how anyone could be unhappy with Norv as an OC, unless you just enjoy complaining for the sake of complaining. The Cowboys are running this offense again next year, why wouldn't you want the maestro of the offensive philosophy and one of the consensus top play calllers in the league running it? These people would complain no matter who the coach is (see below).

Cowboys hire a no name guy: "See! Jerry is hiring a bunch of no names because he wants to be surrounded by a bunch of powerless puppets. He would never bring in a REAL football guy who has REAL skins on the wall. Typical Jerry."

Cowboys hire established highly respectd guy: "See! Jerry is hiring a bunch of retreads and castoffs from the league who live in their past just like Jerry. He would never bring in an up and comer. Typical Jerry."

Why not just own up and admit you would hate the hire no matter who it was.
  13. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

3,213 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Phillip Rivers agrees!
  14. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,863 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    Would love the Norv hire. Guys like Norv are the perfect hire because you certainly won't lose him to another teams HC gig.
  15. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Agree again.

:)
  16. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I do too, but not for this team unless Garrett chooses them himself and THEN tells Jerry Jones who the OC will be. Even then I think the relationship between Jones, Turner, and Garrett (because of their past relationships) would be caustic.

:)
  17. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,598 Messages
    2,476 Likes Received
    I get that this is tongue in cheek but the reality is that the average life expectancy of US males is 76 years old. Obviously its a case by case basis but I don't exactly truest the Cowboys braintrust much anymore. I cannot give the benefit of the doubt anymore it seems.
  18. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Three issues here:

1) He's leaving SD with the 31st ranked offense in the league. Injuries don't excuse that kind of drop in production. His Miami, Oakland and SF offenses were all bottom half of the league too, so it's not like he just had too much on his plate this year.

2) Unless you're still living in 1991, QBs don't develop well under him at all. In fact, Rivers (who is essentially a mirror image of Romo) has actually regressed. That's not a good thing.

3) By bringing in a playcaller, JJ is openly admitting that Garrett can't get it done, so now he's going to bring in the crown jewel of coaches who could never get it done in order to come help out?

Norv did have the #1 offense in the league in as recently as 2010, so it's not like he's a total washout now, but I definitely think some skepticism is merited.
  19. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,350 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    What?
  20. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,647 Messages
    16 Likes Received