1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Werder says Spencer will be gone

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,270 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    I always crack up when someone starts a sentence with these words.. Classic. :laugh2:
  2. BlueStar22

BlueStar22 Well-Known Member

8,162 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    Franchise tag...again
  3. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I think they ran the numbers and decided they could not afford spencer ware and Carr with Romo Dez and Lee coming up.
  4. batman36

batman36 Member

508 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Along with, "Is it just me" and "Umm," which no grown up male should ever use.
  5. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It has more to do with salary cap issues it is cheaper to keep him then it is to cut him and rotate him like Dallas did in the SB years. Could limit his snaps
  6. DWhite Fan

DWhite Fan It ain't over 'til it's over

4,658 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    FWIW, Mike Fisher on 105.3 FM tonight said that he would not count out Jerry finding some way to keep Spencer...
  7. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,566 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    And that's the problem right there. It shouldn't be his call.
  8. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,604 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Well, thing is he is the GM, so it is actually his call whether we like it or not.

The most interesting thing about Spencer is even if we keep him we still need a backup for the spot cause right now we have noone else to backup Ware and Spencer except maybe Crawford. Becomes an even worse situation if we lose Spencer, Butler can't play 4-3 DE and neither can Wilber even as backups.

Even if we kept Spencer, we could see a DE drafted simply cause we have two 30 year old DEs and its a premium position.
  9. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,566 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    Wait, what? According to some here who claim to be "in the know", it's just a title, that he's not really the GM. Which is it? If he's the GM in name only and it's everyone else's collaboration that decides who stays/goes, then it's still not his decision.
  10. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,171 Messages
    1,108 Likes Received
    Forget for a moment that you it's dangerous to pay big FA money to guys who are are 30'ish NFL -- more times that not it blows up in team's faces.

You don't pay $10m/year to move a 3-4 OLB who has averaged 5 sacks per season in his career and convert him to a 4-3 DE.
  11. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,067 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I wonder whats to come of Butler
  12. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,834 Messages
    1,088 Likes Received
    You do know that an injured, OLD, Ware still out sacked, barely, but still did (in a contract year) Spencer.

A guy basically in a wheelchair, out sacks you. Embarrassing.
  13. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....with all due respect, the next big play he makes will be his first: seriously.
  14. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,209 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Then I guess 99% of all NFL defenders should rightly feel embarrassed.

:rolleyes:
  15. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,405 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    How will you pay him the money he will demand as an 4-3 DE ? Just for your infomration: we are not talking 3-4 OLB money anymore. As a 3-4 DE he will get more.

The only thing that could be said is that he is unproven. But i dont think that will make alot of a difference.
  16. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,405 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    I dont think you are right. If he stays we will be happy to get him for that kind of money. Just look around the league (Mario Williams comes to mind).
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,181 Messages
    1,307 Likes Received
    no way is Spencer worth $10 million a year even if we could afford the cap space.
    and comparing Spencer to Mario Williams? put down the Kool Aid