1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Wes Bunting - Safties

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by UnoDallas, Nov 10, 2010.

1. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Let's go then to the pure safeties. Last week you mentioned Temple's Jaiquawn Jarrett as a safety who stands out week-to-week. Any names you can add about the other safeties at the top? The Deunta Williams? The DeAndre McDaniels? Any performances that have caused you to tweak your board?

Wes Bunting: No, I still rate Jarrett as one of my top safety prospects. I rate him higher than Quinton Carter from Oklahoma. A lot of people have him as the number one guy, though I think he's really overrated. Deunta Williams is kind of lingering on the boards. He's coming off a wrist injury. This year has been a loss for a lot of those North Carolina guys. I can't wait to see him in person. I want to see him at an All-Star game to really get a better evaluation.

The big guy who I'm going to harp on for the Cowboys is DeAndre McDaniel from Clemson. He's not the biggest. He's not the fastest, but he finds the football. He's instinctive. He can redirect cleanly. You don't have to worry about the long, leggy type with him. This guy is just a ball player. If I'm a Cowboys guy, he's probably a 2nd, 3rd round value and I guarantee he's be the best safety on the team if he joined right now.

Early 2nd seems to be where the top free safety prospects are going now. Louis Delmas started the 2nd round two years ago and last year Nate Allen was taken before pick 40. That's going to be a touch decision for Dallas, if he's around hen they pick in the 2nd because their offensive line need is so great, and there will be linemen rated at roughly the same level.

Wes Bunting: True, there will be a lot of good players there, but there will be more depth at offensive line. You're in effect getting two 1st rounders picking at the top of the 2nd round. You're hoping to get two guys in those first 35 picks or so who have 1st round grades. I can see Dallas giving a guy like McDaniel a high grade and pursuing him and then trying to get an offensive lineman with a 2nd round grade at the top of round 3.

I think there's a lot more depth at the offensive line spots than there is at safety, and that may factor into the thinking of teams looking for a safety.