1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Wes Welker: How he gets open

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by jblaze2004, Oct 15, 2011.

1. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,260 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    its all in the system the patriots run. Look at alot of his routes. Its basically a pick offense to get welker open almost instantly. Seems bill got them run that offense perfectly (never gets called for picking, but they do it by route combinations). I wonder if Garret can figure it out:D I mean heck the patriots system had matt cassel looking like tom brady. Even the rookie ryan mallet looked good in preseason in the patriots offense.
    The patriots offense is QB friendly.

How do you defend it?
    could you bump him? or do you play pick up man (which means the man that cuts to your side you guard him)....That will take alot of focus from our players because one mistake could be proven costly.

There was nothing being talked about really, so lets discuss this. If you do not like it see ya way out the thread
  2. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,827 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received

Watch out for Sean Lee...that's all I will say in this thread.

;)
  3. shockandroll

shockandroll New Member

1,632 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you have CB's who can match his quickness, like Scandy and TNew, you bump him at the line to slow his route and stay with him after the bump. Then you rely on your pass rush to pressure Brady and force a quick throw that is slightly off target as a result and bat it down or pick it off.

It's just that easy, now we just have to execute it.
  4. jblaze2004

8,260 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    I would love for lee to pop welker or anyone really across the middle, but he might have his hands full with the TE's and woodhead out the back field:eek:
    Bill knows how to draw up an offense. If only we knew how to get felix or even murray out in space.
  5. jblaze2004

8,260 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    idk last time scandrick faced a good slot wr (steve smith) he got his lunch stole and eat'n in his face.:laugh2:
    And welker>>>>>>>>smith
  6. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,835 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    One thing you can probably do is not let him get off the line cleanly. Jam and muscle him off of where he wants to go every time.

Secondly, you can bring the LBs up, as if they are going to blitz, and just have them sit right there in the zone. This would work better IF, you have pressure on the QB, but THAT is not easy to do with NE.

EDIT: Let me add this, punish him every time he touches the ball. Try your best to knock him out.
  7. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,853 Messages
    504 Likes Received
    The O Scan now..would rape steve smith
  8. shockandroll

shockandroll New Member

1,632 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Which Smith? Giants or Panthers?
  9. jblaze2004

8,260 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    yeah the smith now (use to be giants) look like hot garbage after his knee injury. In his prime with the giants he was killing 32.
  10. shockandroll

shockandroll New Member

1,632 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, but Scandy was young and inexperienced then, he's not the same guy now, though he might not be great just coming off an injury.

Here's the thing, Brady and Welker rely on timing and perfection, it's that simple. Welker is quicker then most CB's and Brady's throws are on the money. So you beat it by first bumping Welker off his route and having the quickness to stick with him, Scandy and TNew have this ability but they won't do it 100% of the time.

So the next key is getting in Brady's face, he's among the worst QB's in the league when facing pressure. He can't run and he gets flustered without his perfect system. Pressure does not mean blitz, he tears that apart. Pressure means forcing him out of the pocket early, rushing 4-5 so his targets are covered and he can't dump to them. It also means switching things up and confusing him. He needs perfect, disrupt his bubble and he folds.

The last part of the equation is making the play, if you get there, sack him or hit him, if the throw is slightly off, pick it off. We can't get to him and miss the sack or have that one imperfect throw bounce off the CB's hands.

Brady has had some really crappy games when he's been pressured, really crappy. We need to bump and run so he can't just quick dump off to his guys when the pressure comes, imo.
  11. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,311 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    When we played at Foxboro last time in 2003, only one TD was scored by either team in the entire game. It was on a pick play by the Pats that even the TV announcers said was so blatant that it should have been called.

There was no penalty on the play, and the Pats missed the extra point. We got shut out 12-0.

The point is that they've been running that style of offense for a long time with midget receivers like Troy Brown and Wes Welker.
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,521 Messages
    2,067 Likes Received
    He's a very underrated athlete. The guy isn't fast, but he has great quickness. You aren't the NCAA record holder in punts returned for TDs without being a top athlete.
  13. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,115 Messages
    1,977 Likes Received
    That's the one right there.

I'm stunned how often I see Welker get free releases in the games I've watched.
  14. shockandroll

shockandroll New Member

1,632 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Because he's so quick he can beat many CB's who try it and if he does, he's gone.
  15. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,690 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    Just as important as defending him before the catch, is tackling him. If you can limit his YAC, he's not as effective.
  16. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,527 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    :hammer:

Also, he might have some of the quickest feet in NFL history. Plus he doesn't give anything away in his routes. This makes it hard for the DBs to anticipate his breaks, which minimizes the DB's ability to jump his routes.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,951 Messages
    1,702 Likes Received
    He's just that much quicker. That's all there is to it.

And honestly, I think he's probably one of the top guys int he league as far as conditioning goes.

Pretty sure he's got a good background of soccer which means he can probably run anyone off the field any week.
  18. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,938 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    Maybe it's because it's not as easy as saying, well, we'll just jam him.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,938 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    Quicker and small. Making him tough to get a jam on at the line. If you miss, it's a big play.
  20. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I remember when this guy came out of college. I was saying he'd be a legendary NFL WR. People laughed at me, but he's on his way.

[youtube]JJgm7azJud8[/youtube]