1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

western michigan matt johnson

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jblaze2004, May 2, 2012.

1. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    have alittle faith guys. Heck jason babin and jason jones (DE) came from the same school I think.

I mean the patriots took tavon wilson in the 2nd round (he had a 6/7th round grade on him).

we are just going to have the wait and see approach with this. No he is not like AOA. For one he is alot more physical and actually likes to tackle. 2. He played Safety in college and is not making a position switch. I thought AOA was too soft to play safety. Safeties has to want to tackle, AOA didn't have it in him.

Heck with Brodney Pool health issues, Johnson might get a couple starts here or there. Not unless the coaching staff move sensy to FS and Church to start a SS:ralph: if Pool gets injured. I like church and all but just as a back up and special teams player. Seeing him start is giving me Calvin Johnson flash backs (church stayed behind him the whole time while the ball was coming in the air, when he should of got in front of him so if calvin johnson caught it he could of been pushed out instead its like church was keeping him in:laugh1: ). But
    Yeah we need guys that can make plays on the ball and Johnson is (hopefully) one of them. He had 17 ints in college (low competitions I know).
  2. cowboysfan31

cowboysfan31 Active Member

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Holy geography Batman I think you are a little off. Matt Johnson was drafted out of Eastern Washington.
  3. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    :lmao:
  4. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    oh my bad....lol well jason jones came from there, babin came from western michigan.

Fail post. Can Mod change the title to eastern michigan lol:bang2:
  5. cowboysfan31

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I would also like to add the only current Eastern Washington alum in the NFL is Titans' OT Michael Roos....the complete opposite of a DE. I think your compass is broken this morning.
  6. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    WASHINGTON!

:laugh2:
  7. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    For shame Jblaze.. drunk at 930 in the morning already.

:p:
  8. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    :laugh1:

3rd time lucky!
  9. cowboysfan31

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Maybe he lives out west? It's not quite 7 yet out there, the sun is still rising.
  10. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Probably lives in Michigan.. that's all he can think about right now, haha.
  11. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://cdn.*************.net/instances/400x/19807511.jpg
  12. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: @ this thread.

As far as Johnson goes, I think this is one of those times you just have to assume (or have faith, depending on your POV) that our scouts and coaching staff may just know something we don't. Regardless of what "draft experts" say, I doubt we were the only team to have him graded that high.

I'm crossing my fingers.
  13. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I think the "have faith" POV is probably more accurate.. but i agree. I would've liked to get George Iloka and Brandon Boykin in the 4th, but maybe Johnson has some qualities that will make him a more reliable starter at some point.
  14. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    If there is one thing about him that I liked was that he was always around the ball and seemed to have good instincts. That cannot be taught no matter what.

It will take some time for him to adjust to the speed of the game. I am sure he didn't face the WR ability and route running at Easter Washington that he will see in the NFL. I think he will have an impact on special teams. Our ST wasn't the sharpest last season and I think he will make a good addition.

Mcsurdy, Hakim, Coale, Crawford and Wilbur could all be special teams candidates.
  15. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    OP's name is 'jblaze'? Looks like he might have been 'blazing' when he posted this!

PS: I went to Western Michigan in the late 80's and we've had some pretty good talent come out of there.

Kevin Haverdink: OL: Saints, Joel Schmengee, LB: Jags, Greg Jenning: WR: Pack and Louis Delmas: CB: Lions so all joking aside some nice players have been drafted from WMU (dont' know much about EWU, but hopefully Johnson will put it on the map!)
  16. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,963 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Taiwan Jones, a running back for the Raiders, played at Eastern Washington. He was a fourth-round draft pick last year.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,487 Messages
    6,202 Likes Received
    I think this thread is about Western Michigan.
  18. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,508 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    :lmao:

Stay on point Adam. You just committed a cardinal sin (oh yes! I meant it):cool:
  19. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Isaiah Trufant, Marcus' brother, plays for the Jets.

A former Cowboy, Jeff Ogden, is an EWU alum.

Colin Cowherd also attended EWU.
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    This is a truly great thread. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: