1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

WF: Cowboys Targeting Multiple Linebackers (Tip Sheet)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 16, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php
    Published Feb. 15, 2012
    By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

The Cowboys have had an obvious need at the cornerback position since the beginning of the 2011 season. It would not be surprising to see them make a run at some free agent corners and/or potentially use their first-round draft pick on the position. Aside from corner, the Cowboys need help at safety and on the interior of their offensive line, but interestingly, sources have told WalterFootball.com that the Cowboys are putting immense effort into scouting the linebacker position.

Dallas has two impending free agents in Bradie James and Anthony Spencer. Some reports have stated that Spencer could be slapped with the franchise tag despite being inconsistent since entering the league out of Purdue. The former first-rounder would carry an expensive price tag of $8.8 million for the 2012 season, and that doesn't equate to his production of six sacks last season. Dallas may look to the second day of the draft to add an edge rushing linebacker. Some candidates include Marshall's Vinny Curry, Oklahoma's Ronnell Lewis and Troy's Jonathan Massaquoi. The Cowboys could keep Spencer around for another season and develop a draft pick to replace him.

Behind James, the Cowboys have 2011 second-round pick Bruce Carter. Aside from Carter and Sean Lee, Dallas could use more depth at inside linebacker. Sources have said they are showing a lot of interest in mid-round inside linebacker prospects. Some players who might be fits include North Carolina State's Audie Cole, TCU's Tank Carder and Nevada's James-Michael Johnson.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    Given that Brooking, James and maybe Spencer will be gone Dallas better look to FA or draft to get players in at LB. Going with just Lee and Carter gives Dallas little to no depth
  3. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Agree buddy, thats why cowboys are strongly hinting at franchising spencer, maybe after they have looked at current OLB's in draft, they have decided not any good quality OLBs to help right away. So, thats why in reality the rumors have come out about cowboys looking at keeping spencer,.

Now, look at this though.
    Spencer Prefers To Stay, But Talks Slow
    http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=833F85F2-B961-83CC-18A1FB0A5F80011E
    Josh Ellis
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
    Spencer turned 28 last month.

IRVING, Texas - In an otherwise slow week, the Cowboys' acknowledgement that they are at least considering the franchise tag for outside linebacker Anthony Spencer constitutes big news.

It shouldn't have come as a surprise, however. Yet even the subject of the story was caught a bit off guard.

"Actually, yeah, I heard about it for the first time yesterday," Spencer said Wednesday. "I had to call my agent up and just see what all that really meant. People were texting me, calling me and asking about it, and I'm like 'Uhhh' ... I do the football part on the field and they handle the other stuff."
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    Can't say that I would be thrilled with franchising him. As for the prospect in the draft no doubt they have question marks so did Jared Allen which is why he was not selected until the 4th rd. I'm sure the experts did not see or expect what Allen would do. I admit I have mixed feeling handing over a big contract to Spencer even on a 1 year deal
  5. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,637 Messages
    597 Likes Received
    Doesn't actually tell us anything we don't know.

Was hoping there were some actual rumours in there.

Going off what Jerry said a few weeks back, I'm guessing we'll draft a 'thumper' ILB somewhere in this draft. Carter will most likely be the starter, but I'm guessing the team hedges their bets and picks up a true ILB and possibly has Carter as a jack of all trades type LB (rush, play OLB, ILB, cover TEs)...
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm crossing my fingers that Vinny Curry is one of those 'backers.
  7. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I'm with you . I like him .
  8. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You and me both, pal... you and me both...

Just look at his numbers this year-- 72 tackles, 21.5 tackles for loss (second best in the nation), 11 sacks, 8 quarterback hurries, 6 forced fumbles (you read that correctly) and 3 blocked kicks...

Last year, he had 94 tackles, 18 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, 3 passes broken up and 2 more forced fumbles... for his career, he has 48 tackles for loss and 26.5 sacks... the guy's just a playmaker...
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,042 Messages
    3,277 Likes Received
    Never heard of this Vinny Curry.

Is he any good?

:p: ;)
  10. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's one of them there corn-fed hillbillies with a 'tude... what do you think??

:D
  11. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I'll be the unpopular guy in this thread regarding Curry but you know what they say opinions are like...............everyone has one.
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    What is your take on Curry ?
  13. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I think he's not athletic enough to play at a NFL level at OLB and is more suited for a 4-3 DE.

When asked to turn his hips in coverage he really struggled and he also displayed those same stiff hips and lack of bend when rushing in a stand up position.

I just don't see the quick twitch and athletic ability the great pass rushers have.

I love the player, just don't love him in the 3-4 at OLB. I was once heavily on his bandwagon, I just saw too much on tape to keep me on it.
  14. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    We need a lot of players with some "tude"in them
  15. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,090 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    I like James Michael Johnson...he'd be worth a 5th round pick. He's very good at stopping the run, which would complement Lee and Carter. Let him and Orie Lemon compete for a spot in that ILB rotation.
  16. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Donte Paige-Moss. Give him a year off to heal and you have a 1st round talent at a bargain price.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I don't think we should keep Spencer.
    Last year was his contract year and despite that he did not shine.
    So we have seen the best that he has got. We need better.

However.

Just about everyone agrees that Butler is a one trick pony. Pass rusher and that is all. And no one else on the roster looks like a possibility.

In FA outside of breaking the bank for Mario there is no clear better player out there. If we had somehow gotten Calais Campbell then we could keep spencer for a while. But that hope is pretty much gone.

We need more pass rush. At least a more consistent pass rush; Spencer got 3 sacks in his last 13 games. And in todays NFL being a top Rush defender no longer matters all that much.

I see no one in the draft that I think could clearly be a much better pass rusher then Spencer.

Curry interests me but he would be a gamble.

So sadly we may just have to swallow the franchize tag on Spencer, which frankly to me is about the same as using it on a kicker.
  18. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I have watched a few games , but I haven't seen him stand up . You may be right . I hate being limited with the 3-4 defense everytime one of these guys come along . I know that goes both ways .
  19. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Me too, i liked curry at start of yr, but after watching him this yr, etc.. seems to stiff and not limber enough, elusive, but i have changed my mind to no on curry
  20. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    with Jerrah calling the shots,we have no worries: OLINE, DLINE, ILB,SAFETY, CORNERBACK.........ONLY 5 AREAS WE SUCK AT.....thanks Jerrah: you da MAN!!!!!!:banghead: