1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What a 4-3 Conversion Off-Season Should Look Like

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Shinywalrus, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus New Member

1,737 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here's my shot at how I would approach FA and the draft, assuming that we do convert to an attacking 43 defense that utilizes some Tampa concepts. I am of the opinion that our OL is likely to change somewhat less than many anticipate - I think that Jerry's mind is on the defense, and I think that the late season evidence of improvement on the OL will make Jason promote the idea of maintaining as much continuity as possible to continue that improvement. (I suspect this will annoy many fans)

We have moderate ability to restructure contracts and sign FAs, but I'm guessing this is the year that we use FA to shore up the safety spot that has been too weak for too long now. I am skeptical that we will put FA dollars into offensive linemen as many have guessed, and I think our signings are likely to include one very good addition and several journeyman-quality players at positions in need of depth.

For the draftable players, I've based positioning on NFLDraftScout's rankings, although I'm fairly skeptical of some of their rankings and have shamelessly exploited that here.

Defensive Backfield (6)
    QB: Tony Romo, Kyle Orton
    HB: Demarco Murray, Rex Burkhead (R), Lance Dunbar
    FB: Lawrence Vickers

Receivers/Tight Ends (9)
    WR: Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, Dwayne Harris, Chris Harper, Cole Beasley, Danny Coale
    TE: Jason Witten, James Hanna, Ben Hartsock (FA)

Offensive Line (10)
    LT: Tyron Smith
    LG: Nate Livings
    C: Phil Costa
    RG: Travis Frederick (R)
    RT: Doug Free (Yes, really)
    Reserves: Mackenzie Bernadeau, John Wetzel, Ryan Cook, Jermey Parnell, David Arkin

Defensive Line (9)
    LDE: Sam Montgomery (R), Tyrone Crawford
    LDT: Jason Hatcher, Marcus Spears
    RDT: Jay Ratliff, Sean Lissemore
    RDE: Demarcus Ware, Kyle Wilber, Alex Albright

Linebackers (7)
    WLB: Bruce Carter, Ernie Sims (FA)
    MLB: Sean Lee, Dan Connor, Orie Lemon
    SLB: Chase Thomas (R), Geno Hayes (FA)

Defensive Backs (9)
    CB: Brandon Carr, Mo Claiborne, DJ Moore (FA), Orlando Scandrick, Melvin White (R)
    FS: Jairus Byrd (FA), Charlie Peprah
    SS: Barry Church, Matt Johnson

ST (3)
    LS: LP
    K: Dan Bailey
    P: Chris Jones

Free Agent Acquisitions
    1. Jairus Byrd - FS
    2. DJ Moore - CB
    3. Ernie Sims - WLB
    4. Geno Hayes - SLB
    5. Ben Hartsock - TE

Draft
    Round 1: Sam Montgomery - DE - LSU
    I don't see us spending a #1 on offensive line. I just don't - the changes to the coaching staff will be mirrored in the draft, and we'll see a replacement for Anthony Spencer in Round 1. Montgomery, by far the most productive defensive player for a terrific defense, has the potential to play as a prototype strong-side end in a 43 defense. Has a lot of Spencer's skill set, but has the potential to be a larger, even more physical force in the run game. Doesn't have the pass rush move set to be as effective in the pass rushing game, but I hear we have someone on the roster who might be able to teach him something.

Round 2: Travis Frederick - C/G - Wisconsin
    There's a lot of talk about Barrett Jones, and for good reason, since he has a huge body of work. It's Travis Frederick who I think ends up being the best interior lineman of this class, however, although I'll admit to being partial to both Wisconsin and Wisconsin linemen. More athletic than he looks, this is a giant but versatile swingman who could immediately step in at either Center or Right Guard. I would pencil him in as our starting right guard with Costa/Bernadeau competing for the starting Center position. Travis Frederick is a bad, bad man.

Round 3: Chase Thomas - LB - Stanford
    I may be stretching a bit here, but I think there's a possibility that Thomas is still available to us here. As for the 43 conversion, I would slot him in as a potential starter at the SAM position, although he may need to develop some strength. I like watching him, like his leadership and like his potential to settle in at NFL-starter quality play. Not a super-star in the making, perhaps, but a good round 3 pickup.

Round 4: Chris Harper - WR - Kansas State
    There seems to be a general feeling that we'd be drafting for a slot guy, but I'm of the opinion that we're drafting to find Miles Austin's replacement. Chris Harper is a big, more-athletic-than-you'd think receiver (he'll run under 4.5) who has a little bit of Dez in him when he's in the air. Might not be the "next Cowboys receiver", but feels very underrated to me based on what I saw in the Big 12 this season.

Round 5: Melvin White - CB - Louisiana-Lafayette
    This is a bit cheeky, since NFLDraftScout's ranking is simply uninformed, and I'm unabashedly taking advantage of it here. In reality, this is a guy who gets taken far earlier. He's got Brandon Browner size potential, and is legitimately fast for that level of speed. Raw in technique, but has the potential to be an effective player in a 43 scheme that requires corners to be more aggressive against the run. Freeport, Texas native - near my hometown - so I'm a bit partial, but it's clear he evolved into a leader over his time at La-La. (It's also one of the few reasons I've seen him play. I don't exactly watch a lot of the Rajin Cajuns...)

Round 6: Rex Burkhead - RB - Nebraska
    This local boy is sure to be brought in for the local workouts, and the Academic All-American and decent kid will impress the heck out of Jason and whomever the new RB czar ends up being. He works hard (2x lifter of the year) and runs hard, only falling off the radar because of his knee injury earlier in the senior season. This is a guy I see Jason falling in love with, and will be vastly underrated coming into the draft.

Round 7: John Wetzel - RT - Boston College
    Bit of Sam Young in this guy, but I don't feel like he's quite as much of a waist-bender. A bit more natural and flexible out of the right tackle position. Quality run blocker already who has the potential to bulk up, develop technique and compete for a roster spot.
  2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,336 Messages
    999 Likes Received
    I like a handful of the draft picks, but otherwise I feel kind of Meh about this. I don't like Burkhead or Free, and I don't think Byrd is getting out of Buffalo.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,520 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    I'm not thrilled by your defensive line. Sam Montgomery playing opposite Ware sounds good, but only in theory. In practice, 4-3 teams seldom have two pass rushing ends on the small side like that.

Crawford is probably the better end in that defense, and even he may be a little small. I think I still go with Ratliff at that DE spot and draft a DT to start next to Hatcher.

I do like Chase Thomas at Sam.

We both know there is not a shot in hades that a 6th round rookie RB would be the primary backup to Murray. The team won't trust him, they never trust rookies that aren't 1st rounders.

I do like Frederick, he'd be a very good pickup - especially in the 2nd.
  4. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus New Member

1,737 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sam's going to be a left defensive end wherever he plays by his second season. Big-framed guy.
  5. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,660 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    I need some more wholesale changing personally. This just sounds like another 8-8 season honestly. Just a few small tweaks to the same team that has failed over and over
  6. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Why on earth would you not re-sign Spencer?
  7. patrickstillhere

patrickstillhere Member

67 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Buffalo will franchise him.
  8. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Then give us Andy Levitre.
  9. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,377 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I love Frederick and Thomas. Those would be home run picks to me. I don't think there are 60 picks worth of difference in Chase Thomas and Ryan Kerrigan. Montgomery is a good player too.

I assume that you are lowering Free's base salary down to $2.5 or $3mm where it makes it more difficult to cut him, but he can't make a $7mm base next year.

I'd much rather keep Scandrick/Spencer over FreeByrd.
  10. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I skimmed through and saw this. Didn't bother reading anymore.
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,520 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    He'll need to add bulk to play RDE in a 4-3. I'm not saying he can't do it, it's just very rare a 4-3 team has 2 DE's that are 6'4" 260. I don't think it bodes well for the run D at all.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,997 Messages
    4,163 Likes Received
    Be careful paying age. Especially coming off of a career year. It's not like he's got several years of that level to establish his true worth.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,430 Messages
    1,803 Likes Received
    Franchise him.
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,520 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    What's the rule if you franchise a guy two years in a row now? 10% raise or average of the Top 5? That'd be roughly 17 or 18 mil for two years of service.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

33,213 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    I don't see any way Thomas makes it to the third round. I hope he is still available in the 2nd round.

Good effort on your post. May not agree with all of it but I see the logic and I appreciate the work.
  16. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    He earned his contract. I don't care what anyone else says. He didn't get the respect he deserved last year from CZ, and he probably won't this year.
  17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,430 Messages
    1,803 Likes Received
    20% raise.
  18. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,520 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    Did Ratliff earn his then for playing on the cheap for years prior? And Doug Free for holding down the left side pretty well before he got paid? What about Marion Barber for being a beast for a couple of years?

It's not just about whether the money was earned or not. We've got some real cap issues we need to figure out, and you can't just sign everyone that plays well and ignore everything else. You'll go broke.
  19. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Cap isn't going to be an issue.....

Anthony Spencer has played well for multiple years. He's been a constant on our defense.
  20. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

6,753 Messages
    1,446 Likes Received
    sorry robert
    dont agree
    spencer has been a constant but average constant that is getting up there in age

no long-term contract for spencer, IMO