1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What about DT Kevin Williams?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by stasheroo, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

79,681 Messages
    4,669 Likes Received
    True. It would also keep Dallas for forcing a pick out of need. Yes you would like to get a DT but when you can cover yourself before the draft it becomes less likely to reach for the pick.
    rwill784 likes this.
  2. thunderpimp91

thunderpimp91 Active Member

275 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    I agree. I would love to grab Donald in the draft, but this team has more holes than one. Getting another DT gives us more flexibility. We still could target Donald if he's the guy we want, but could also go best player between DE, S, LB, or OG in round 1
    car351 and rwill784 like this.
  3. Doomsday101

79,681 Messages
    4,669 Likes Received
    Yep, as far as age I don't quite understand that argument by some. Age is an issue if you are talking 3 or 4 year deal if you are talking 1 it is not and does not halt Dallas from rebuilding it only gives us more freedom to rebuild
    rocyaice likes this.
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,439 Messages
    2,064 Likes Received
    That was my thinking. Not to dissuade the Cowboys from going D-line in the draft, but to give the team an established option and a much stronger rotation. Signing him wouldn't stop you from drafting Donald at all. But it might force a scrub player from the bottom of the roster.
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

21,055 Messages
    1,389 Likes Received
    For a minimum deal (which I'm not sure he would take) and if he still has a little pass rush ability then ok, the more the merrier. But I wouldn't sign him if he's only capable of being a run stopper.
  6. Doomsday101

79,681 Messages
    4,669 Likes Received
    Could cause a scrub player to work harder as well. After all you need guys that you can roatate in and out of the game.
  7. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

8,194 Messages
    2,597 Likes Received
    i would recommend youth

it is a numbers game, how many DTs will we carry?

already have melton (3T) and mcclain (1T)

if we take
    rd 4: caraun reid (3T and 1T)
    rd 7: villiami moala (1T)

we would have a nice mix of youth and experience

i dont really see a place for williams
  8. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,130 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Maybe as a week 2 pickup so his salary isn't guaranteed for the season.
  9. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,528 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    Yeah I think people are so stuck on Donald as if its him or die. You can get a solid DT in that 2nd or 3rd round as well.
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

21,055 Messages
    1,389 Likes Received
    Melton was a 4th round 269 pound DE.
  11. Doomsday101

79,681 Messages
    4,669 Likes Received
    Yep, problem is defensive line will rotate none of these guys Donald included is not going to play every single snap, they will be gassed. You need to be able to rotate guys in and out.
  12. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

665 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Will Smith is also still out there, could be an option at DE.
    rwill784 likes this.
  13. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,524 Messages
    5,710 Likes Received
    I would absolutely sign him to a reasonable veteran deal.
  14. rwill784

rwill784 Active Member

114 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I've been screaming this all free agency, will Smith, Shaun Phillips, then Ayers. But even if Williams is a run stuffer how exactly does that hurt to have 2 dts that can collapse the pocket every play?
  15. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,939 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    All depends on the contract, but another disruptive force fits into Marinellis scheme every time......

So Melton came in as a DE......hmmmm........Donald and Melton in a stunt or twist....hmmm
  16. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

653 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    This is the main posts on this board. Everyone says build in the draft, let's get young but then we want other teams has beens
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,253 Messages
    514 Likes Received
  18. thunderpimp91

thunderpimp91 Active Member

275 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    I'm all for building through the draft, but lets be honest....This team needs depth at nearly every position. You only have 7 rounds to draft, and at some point you need to get some veteran free agents. A guy like Williams shouldn't kill your cap number, and gives you an excellent situational tackle who can play both positions. If you don't want Kevin Williams that's fine, you could probably get similar production on a 2nd/3rd round pick. That may even turn out to be the best route to go, but if I'm the GM I want as much flexibility going into draft time as possible.
    rwill784 likes this.
  19. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

482 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    Why?? Too old, not good anymore and takes reps away from younger players who may end up being full time, long term solutions. Why not spend more time finding young talent so that we don't come back here next year singing the same song. I guess that each time someone is released or we think they will be free someone has to ask...but again why?
  20. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

482 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    Man I love the logic, just don't care for the approach. I think you can move down in the draft in rounds 2 and 3 and often in round 1 and get more draft picks. Also this team seems to be very good at finding UDFA. In season I am okay with signing an older player if we just need to get by. However that makes you wonder where the young depth is and why players always seem to be pulling hammies and quads...just saying.