1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What about Ernie Sims?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jday, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,636 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    Agree. I think this is something that wasn't talked about with Sims enough. Somewhere, some time, he said something along the lines of he knew it was his last chance. Those guys always produce.

I'd probably keep Connor too and get rid of Albright in the middle. He is so stiff its unreal.
  2. AZ_Cowboys_Fan

AZ_Cowboys_Fan Member

516 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Yeah, Lee has better instincts so as a result he plays faster than Connor.
  3. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,486 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    This may be true. But the same could be said of Lee; granted, it doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

I'm not sure you could ask for a better rotational guy behind Carter and Lee. The question will be if the Cowboys can/will keep him and will he want to stay, should he be offered an opportunity to compete for a starting job elsewhere.
  4. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    For as dumb as Sims sounds, he sure bucks the notion that he's brainless. In my mind, he's going to be a solid Cowboy for years to come. Great pick up.
  5. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,325 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    I had to youtube a few Ernie Sims interviews because I noticed posters here have this thing with calling people dumb sounding if they don't speak Old English. Sims talks with a drawl but is nowhere near sounding dumb.
  6. lane

lane The Chairman

10,380 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    sims has been really good for us and i believe that him and carter are going to continue to wreak havoc together.
  7. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    When we signed him I asked some Eagle and Lion fans what they thought about him. The feedback I got was that he was a absolute beast of an athlete but a bit of a rock that would bite on most PA or misdirection. He would hit hard no matter who was coming and his athletic ability would bale him out of some of his mistakes. However, when he would get burned it would be bad and cause regret in signing him.
    I watched him pretty close this week and he wasnt fooled as easily as I was led to believe. He is still kinda young and despite being undersized can still be very effective. Id love to sign him behind Lee and Carter but I have a feeling he will play himself into more money than we will give him.
  8. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,501 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    .....well he just did get back into the NFL, after what--a 2 yr absense, without even a training camp.

I'll give him the benefit of doubt until he gets into full condition,
  9. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,642 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    2 things:

1) We're lucky we got him, because with Lee out we needed somebody, and for the most part he's done well.

2) After getting to see Carter and Lee play, it's hard to watch him on run plays. In the last 2 weeks alone, I've seen him overpursue on runs that Lee and Carter would never do and give his guy a cutback lane wide open for a big gain.

Again, he's a street FA we picked up due to injury so I'm not hating on the guy, and he has done some things well, but his run pursuit on plays he thinks are going outside leaves a lot to be desired.
  10. adam3313

adam3313 Member

99 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'm fine having some athletic ability out there rather than James and Brooking like last year...
  11. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Member

920 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I remember hearing this about him coming out of college. Maybe it was because of Andrews' aggresive style. Also heard that he would allow a catch just so he can hit. Not sure if that meant he is not good in pass coverage or that he doesn't make game changing plays. So far he has been good.
  12. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Swallowed up to the tune of 3.7 yds per carry.
  13. DrKennethNoisewater

DrKennethNoisewater Member

106 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    This is true, but the point still remains that his size limits him in taking on blockers.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,824 Messages
    1,472 Likes Received
    Considering you don't have 300 pound LB most LB can get taken out by bigger OL players even Ray Lewis will get engulfed at times. LB has to rely on strengh and quickness but going nose to nose with a much bigger lineman that is a mismatch
  15. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,486 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    This is what I'm afraid of...especially if the Cowboys go on a run to the play offs.
  16. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,486 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    Could not agree more.
  17. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,415 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    Thank you thank you!!

I'm not sure what all the praise is about. He was a good pickup giving what was in the barrel but his first game with us was his best and although he gives us some need athleticism, it's been like having a safety play LB. He's not been that good in the run game and has made me miss Lee dearly.
  18. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,031 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    True. But it hasn't really hurt us. This is his first time ever in the 3-4 so you have to assume with more time/practice he'll improve in how he performs within this scheme. We'll see....

I'm actually very interested to see how both he AND Carter hold up vs Washington in the run game. That's going to be their toughest test so far playing the run.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,121 Messages
    1,285 Likes Received
    I think Sims has played exceptionally well under the circumstances. However, I would not get too excited about Sims. Unless we are planning on going to a 43 and finding a place for him to start, I doubt he is going to resign with us. Why would he? He is playing well enough for a team who needs a LB to sign him as a starter IMO. Why would he sign here to back up? Why would we pay him the kind of money it would take to have him be a back up? He can't play an OLB in a 34. He has to play ILB for us. Unless we are planning on moving Lee, Carter or Sims to SAM, I don't see how Sims could be back. I could be wrong but I doubt Sims resigns with Dallas after the season. JMO
  20. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I was thinking maybe Sims could play on passing downs for us in certain packages. It was interesting that RR stated a couple weeks ago that he wanted to draft Sims to play Safety originally. But Sims will obviously go elsewhere if he gets to start.