1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What are your thoughts on George Selvie and Nick Hayden?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by lane, Oct 14, 2013.

1. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,414 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    Just happy they play for us and nt anybody else
  2. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,039 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    Both have proven worthy of being on an NFL active roster. I think what Hayden does in the trenches is under appreciated. I think he could be serviceable going forward as a 2 down run stopper if needed. Selvie has been solid as well. Ideally he would be a very good backup DE. The difference between Selvie and a guy like Rayford is substantial, so we were fortunate to acquire Selvie when we did.
    silver likes this.
  3. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,145 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Both have been pleasant surprises. This is their last chance for both of them having bounced around the league a bit and it looks like they're taking advantage of it. Two things come to mind, good coaching matters, and the talent across the league is pretty similar and it takes motivation to stand out of the pack.
    perrykemp likes this.
  4. vlad

vlad Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,039 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    I've been happy with both of course, given our situation they've saved our tail. Hayden routinely has plays that impress me, including in hustle chasing down defenders downfield. Selvie has been impressive given the situation as well. Nevis looks like a good fat plugger type. Without Ware takind chips/double teams it will be interesting to see if all that focuses on Hatcher and what these guys do.
  5. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,270 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    How many of you think this is less about Selvie & Hayden and mostly about Marinelli? I choose the latter. While the two formers have done an admirable job of filling in, I truly believe Rod Marinelli's coaching style is paying huge dividends right now. Think of that Giants defense from some years ago and how it didn't matter who they put out there. They regularly overachieved. In Marinelli I trust.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,985 Messages
    3,920 Likes Received
    In Selvie's case, he's really benefitting by being in a system that doesn't require him to drop into coverage ever, where he's a liability. Hayden looks like a fire-plug player to me, I think he just fell between the cracks, previously. He's also tough, and played through what looked like some pain last week.

No matter how you slice it, a lot of us were poking a lot of fun at Marinelli and Kiffin during the offseason for saying they liked our no-name DL talent. Looks like they were right, and a lot of us were wrong. And, by 'us,' here, I mean 'you.' (Not you Bleu Star, just the collective 'you'). And you guys all know who you are. :)
  7. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,413 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    I could see Selvie keeping his starting spot next year, with Hayden and Drake as strong rotations guys. I'd also love to resign Hatcher and find a franchise 3-tech.

Something like..

Selvie--Hatcher--Draft Pick/FA--Ware or Draft Pick/FA
    Crawford--Hayden--Nevis--Wilber
    Kaiser likes this.
  8. DuceizBak

DuceizBak Active Member

424 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    What's really scary is look how small selvie is as far as muscle, compared to most other players his position.
    I think he'll bulk up and become even better next year.
  9. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,677 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Ever hear of Reggie White?
  10. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,067 Messages
    1,921 Likes Received
    The fact is the Cowboys NEED a couple of these guys to pan out for next season. Yeah, the defensive line needs reworking but you know the Cowboys will follow their draft board and won't pick up any more than a couple defensive linemen through the draft.
  11. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Great production out of people we brought off the street.:)
  12. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

598 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    I agree - and in addition I think Spencer returns (playing time depending on health obviously) and a DT is taken in the first two rounds no matter what else happens. Despite the meltdown this year, we may end up with very good bench players in Hayden, Selvie and Nevis. Maybe Wilber also.
  13. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,269 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    Last offseason?? People were poking fun last week...rolling kiffin out of here in his wheelchair,etc.
  14. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

828 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    He must mean BESIDES the best DE of all time...
  15. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,391 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    We are getting amazing value from the two. Props to them and to Marinelli's coaching.
  16. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,810 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    For me they're not good enough to say we shouldn't try and upgrade in the draft next year but they have been solid. Nevis also. I'm actually most impressed with him because I always felt like he was a good football player in a terrible system. He wasn't a 3-4 linemen.

We need more pushing in the middle but as of right now no complaints. When I think about all of these guys plus a healthy Ratliff, Ware, Spencer and Crawford? You can sort of see why they had some confidence in their defensive line before this season. Just too bad they all got hurt.
  17. Romo2Ogletree

Romo2Ogletree Active Member

114 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Ever heard of Robert Mathis?
  18. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,446 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    I think it's about both. Marinelli knows what he wants in a defensive player and he just kept going through them until he found what he liked, it was a numbers game. It takes a lot of confidence in your abilities to turn down Floyd in the draft and trade Lissemore. A younger less experienced coach may not have done that.
    dogberry likes this.
  19. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,977 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    IMO.....High motors and relentless. However, the entire DL, minus Hatcher, needs to control themselves more. I have yet to see any team collapse a pocket and miss the sack by mere inches as often as the Cowboys do. Once you're there, don't overreact. They need to learn to use each other to get that sack. They don't need 4 heroes.......... they need a play.

JMO, of course.
  20. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,515 Messages
    547 Likes Received
    I like both guys. They've given us everything they've got to this point and they are doing what they can to be better and better. I think if we can keep them around and add some more talent that they'll remain vital pieces of the puzzle when it comes to depth.